Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how to tell moldy

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mjsimpson, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Hi everyone, i am reli new to weed and have limited knowledge. I heard that moldy weed is harmful to smoke. Judging from the picture below, can you tell whether it is moldy or not. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.
    .[​IMG]

2. I can't really tell by your pics, but mold on weed is a white powder that, if you rub it lightly with your finger, will usually rub off. It's not good to smoke it if it's moldy...but I have to be honest here and say that I have before...and didn't die. LOL It molds when it's been sealed up before enough moisture has been allowed to evaporate out of it. Sounds like somebody didn't know how to cure it...if it's mold. It's up to you as to what you do with it...but be aware that there are risks to the respiratory system from smoking moldy weed. I had no ill affects when I did it but looking back on it now....wasn't the brightest decision I've ever made. LOL TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thx for the reply man. put it on different lighting and zoom in a bit. Are these the powders that you described? [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Thanks for the improved photo. I can't see any mold,. What makes you think it's moldy? Take a good sniff- that may give you a clue, too. If you decide you don't want to smoke it, I suggest making a tincture. If you can get high proof Everclear it should kill about anything. If you need information on tinctures go to Another Tincture thread in the edible section. There is an index in the first post with instructions. Good luck.
    From icmag-
    "I called up Analytical360 in Seattle, where I had had a couple of tests done in the past on the RSO I make, and asked them point blank if the Everclear method of extraction to make oil would kill the mold spores of botrytis and powdery mildew. The microbiologist there said a resounding 'Yes, the ethanol extraction method does kill any harmful spores from these two molds', but he cautioned me about aspergillus mold which produces a toxin that isn't killed by alcohol and is quite dangerous to ingest. I will do some research on this aspergillus mold, but I've had no problems with it yet, so I'm just going to go ahead and make some oil out of this 1/2 ounce with a bit of botrytis, keep it separate for myself to see if there's any qualitative difference."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Still hard to tell even with the better close-up pics as your white balance if way off the pic has a yellowish tint. But I will say I had some haze a few years back that had a white powdery mildew issue and it looked eerily similar my friend. My first thought was that it was trichomes but I was still suspicious. Upon further inspection I determined that it was indeed mold and discarded all of it without ever smoking any of it sadly. It did have a really sweet pungent smell but a hint of a mildew basement type smell if you can imagine and that was this kicker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thx a lot, joker1121. From your experience, how safe is the tincture method? and do you think i should try out water cure method too. Man, it sucks to be just throwing away all my buds.

7. Hey u r right bhbest, it does have some yellow tint on it and i had also discovered some white spots on the stem too.I just want to be really sure you know. Cause Buds are kinda expensive from where i'm from, it's painful to watch it down the drain
    .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]