How to take car of insects when you grom outdoors?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by bennyweed, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Hey GC,

So I have about 14 beautiful plants growing out side, 5 foot tall and otherwise real healthy but they are being eaten by bugs. I don't know how to control it. I used neem oil a few times but it only slows them down. I cant go everyday and spray them. Can I by some beneficial insects like lady bugs or will they just fly away the second I let them go???

The worst part is I don't even know what kind of bugs I'm dealing with, maybe YOU can help...here is my thread...

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/413085-check-out-my-bush.html

I have pictures posted there and any help little or big is appreciated immensely. Thanks

2. no one has a clue, come on I thought this was grass city.

3. Yo man. One of my mates had the same problem. And stuck a material mesh stuff over each of his plants but the bugs just set up camp in side ther nice protective shelter. But you could combine that idea with your lady bug idea.

Not a very technical answer but you look like your struggling with ideas.

Hope you reach harvest time and you make losts of new buddies!!!

good luck bud!!!!!!!

4. Thanks alot for the input, thats a very good idea actually. Ill see what I can do. Thanks once again!

5. If they are not flowering, and the problem is severe, I would consider a stronger insect treatment. I know you probably want to stay away from pesticides, but if the infestation is threatening your harvest, I would nuke the bastards.

6. I completely agree with you and luckly they still are vegging. What type of insecticide do you recommend, everything I come across is organic. I need some straight up chemical poison with a heavy knock out punch, not no diluted garlic water mixed with whatever.

7. I am not sure what I would use exactly. A pyrethrin based insecticide may do the trick, or you could ask someone at a local garden center, what they would use. Some ortho products are wicked, but it depends on what the problem is. A lot of people on here would have ideas I am sure. I am using a universal insect/disease product that I got from Home Depot. No insects on my plants right now. It was rather cheap. It is called EcoSense or something. It is pyrethrin based, I believe. I can't refer to the bottle, it is stashed near my plants, out in the briars. I try to stay pretty organic, but I am not opposed to chemicals, if the problem is a major threat that organic solutions aren't fixing.