How to send glass through the mail?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by smokinbudzzz, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Lol i haven't sent a package before and want to sell some of my glass. By no means am i making this thread to sell bongs but i am trying to figure out the best way to go by doing this? I dont want to send a package and have it break. Wouldn't be good for me or the buyer. Also do you go to UPS or something to get boxes and bubble wrap and all that good stuff?

2. You can get bubble wrap at office depot I think and just wrap it up good until it doesn't move around in the box should be good, you can also get styrofoam or those little puff things they usually ship stuff in idk what they are called

3. Yeah those plastic popcorn things lol? I dont know what they are called either. Also will the post office ask me what im sending? Glass tobacco pipe lol.

4. A shitload of bubble wrap and on the package make it say fragile and

5. When I ship things out I put a layer of packing peanuts in the bottom of the box then wrap the shit out of the item with bubble wrap (then I wrap a small layer of cling wrap around it to keep it from unraveling) then I put it in the middle of the box and fill it up the rest of the way with packing peanuts. Slap some fragile stickers on it and its good to go.

They aren't going to ask you what you're mailing unless you're shipping internationally. Then you would put 'glass art' on the little customs sheet

Edit: if its a super expensive piece you could double box that bitch too, just fill the outer box with foam or packing peanuts

6. Instablaze is spot on. Only thing I would add is to video yourself packing the box. This will protect you if the buyer says you sent a broke item empty box etc. Also tell the buyer it's an option for him to add insurance in case it gets broke in shipping. I only reccomend this because of the cost of your pieces. Gl with the sale.

7. Thanks so much guys! Im setting up a pay pal account as we speak :)

8. Personally from working at ups, I wouldn't trust shipping any glass through there, unless you list it as over 1000, otherwise I've seen people get pretty reckless with boxes.

9. Even when you put FRAGILE CONTAINS GLASS all over the box?

10. Lol yea a lot of workers who unload the big semi's and and load them which is how they tend to ship across states, tend to not give to many fucks about peoples packages, I've seen so many times I'll pick up a box that says fragile and just hear broken glass. If you list that as over 1000 though it pretty much gets put in a red and white striped bag and walked through the whole UPS hub, then put on top of the walls they make in the semi. Just a heads up, to be weary of that.

11. Double box that bitch up with lots of bubble wrap/newspaper/packing peanuts in between and send it USPS. That is who I use.

I believe you do have to fill out the customs sheet being in Canada right?

12. You could get that foam padding, and cut out the shape of your piece to send it. No matter what you do, make sure you can't shake the box at all. Whenever I ship anything I make sure it can't budge inside the box. Even if it stays upside down the entire trip.

I've shipped a few pieces, and never even insured (I'm a risk taker). However, I was not shipping very far. I wouldn't waste your time with packing peanuts. That's for unbreakables. Definitely bubble wrap, and lots of it. Then you can use those air pillows, or just simply throw in a bunch of individual pieces of newspaper wadded up, the cheap way. Just make sure the box is completely filled. Don't use UPS.

13. [quote name='"GRABADABAGOO"']You could get that foam padding, and cut out the shape of your piece to send it. No matter what you do, make sure you can't shake the box at all. Whenever I ship anything I make sure it can't budge inside the box. Even if it stays upside down the entire trip.

I've shipped a few pieces, and never even insured (I'm a risk taker). However, I was not shipping very far. I wouldn't waste your time with packing peanuts. That's for unbreakables. Definitely bubble wrap, and lots of it. Then you can use those air pillows, or just simply throw in a bunch of individual pieces of newspaper wadded up, the cheap way. Just make sure the box is completely filled. Don't use UPS.[/quote]

Not to start an argument but why would you say to pass on the packing peanuts and then say use wadded up newspaper?

And yeah USPS> FedEx/ups

14. get a nice box, get bubble wrap and wrap the shit out of the glass. newspaper to fill the void in the box and then peanuts. thats how my glass is shipped to me. o yeah fragile glass stickers help. i use the usps but u r in canada so i dont know who to ship with

15. I have been shipping my husband's (A Glasswork Orange's) glass for the last 7 years and have only had 2 breaks in that entire time (one was delicate christmas ornaments). I highly suggest staying away from newspaper. It doesn't fill the slack (everything gets loose) unless you completely crumple it up... and then you got a heavy weighted package that will cost you an arm and a leg too. And just a suggestion.... usps, ups, and fedex all tell me to stay clear from using "Fragile" stickers or writing it on the box. Apparently, the actual carrier workers like to throw these packages around.
    If sending multiple items, be sure to sub-box them. Glass kissing = glass breakage. Just popcorn/peanuts and bubble wrap is okay for single items. When you have sections like the stemless' section, I usually put popcorn between that before wrapping bubble wrap on it.... just an added cushion for it.
    Also, if you are sending international, suggestion for description is : glass kitchenware. Glass art will/can get stuck in customs. Kitchenware rarely gets stopped by customs. Also, mark your international packages with a $75 value unless the receiver really wants you to put the actual value on it. This prevents them from paying an arm and a leg to get out of customs (should it hit there). Also, insurance, imo, isn't really necessary as.... what are you gonna tell the post office "you broke my bong; now replace the value" I hear that you have to show them the broken item and prove it's value in order to get your money back.
    Just my 2 cents on the subject.

16. Wrap the piece well in small-bubble wrap, then one layer of big bubble wrap. A little newspaper or packing peanuts to fill extra space as well.

17. Awesome! Thanks guys for all the feedback and good advice :)

18. Well for me that is the best thing you need to do box it so that it wont break.In Finland country there are still mailing services doing that things in fact their pakkauspalvelu or packing service is really safe and perfect for your glass.

19. you clean the piece very good.. then wrap it in bubble wrap and put packing peanuts in box to prevent movement