How to read a DWC plant

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Reo, Jul 31, 2017.

1. I just bought another 450w Viparspectrum for flowering, so that will be 400 true watts. Do you like the Viparspectrum?

2. This is my first run through flowering with them, but so far they are doing very well. Considering the price, they are great.

I've been using a pair of 300 for vegging a bunch of moms and those also are doing a great job. I haven't used other LED's, so I don't have a comparison, but compared to my 2, 600W HPS - I like them better. The bud development under these as compared to the HPS is better. I have both going in different parts of my flower room. I didn't expect this to be the case - but it seems to be.

3. since you bring up mother plant.. how long can you keep a mother plant Veg?

4. Years. Keep her healthy and happy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. So you have a tent/grow room setup just for mother plants and you just take cuttings off when you're ready to grow more weed? Sorry, I'm new to all this. And won't they outgrow the room (in height) after so many months?

6. Essentially yes. Do I personally have a mother room? No... as with anything the size of the space you are working with limits the possibilities.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. I have a 4 x 8 veg tent that I keep moms in and yes I just clone and veg from then when I'm ready to move a new batch into the flower room. As soon as I harvest, the next ones are vegged and ready to go.

8. The plant's still shockng me. I'm up to about 1.75 strength on nutes plus other additives. No nute burn yet just fucking growing I got to say she has stretched an easy 5x her original size.

And a first for me the 3 upper most fan leaves from the top are growing trichomes.

Hopefully I can get a ppm meter before something goes wrong but for now it's smooth sailing

9. Very nice looking setup. I think you'll find that you love them once you switch to smart pots. Airpots are even better if you can swing the cost. A 7 gallon smart pot is a a few inches shorter then a 5 gallon bucket. They're just way wider. So not only do you get a better root structure and increased aeration, you also get more headroom for light and larger plants. I find that the fabric or aerated pots increase feed rate substantially. The plant dries out much faster.

10. running into ph swing issues on a couple of the bottom leaves, but not like I didn't deserve it. as she has been taking about 2 gallon a day of water. the ph has been swinging, but now I have an air line into the reservoir so I can suck out some water with a syringe and do a ph test when ever need be

11. You don't have to have a ppm meter. Just follow an ml/gallon recipe and change your water weekly. I rarely even take my ppm meter out anymore once I've been doing it a while.

The plant is eating 2 gallons a day of feed and water? That's crazy. It's going to grow like a mofo. That rate would completely suck my bucket res dry every day. The most I've had one feeding is a gallon a day.

If it's feeding that fast you're doing something right. Keep it up. Whenever the feed rate slows down that's when you know something is wrong. Sometimes all I do is change the water trying to be diligent and maintain a healthy res and that screws up the rapid feed/growth rate run. It can take another couple of days to get it feeding rapidly again. It's kinda funny like that. You can also watch the feed rate drop right off at the end when it's almost ripe.

Accurate ph measurement and tuning is way more important.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hey man thank you for helping out and replying back man I appreciate it.

ya she went from a little 1 foot tall sparse looking clone not even out of the foot print of a 5 gallon bucket to a 4-1/2' tall bush monster that is an easy 3' round without me spreading her out yet. and is covered in trichomes from the top of the cola to the mid section IMG_20170723_114618978_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20170819_062818447[1].jpg shes about a week and a half younger then in this pic above but you get a feeling for her size.

I've been using 1.5 strength nutes with full strength monster bloom and full strength enzyme. with a dosing of humic acid and kelp during the last couple days before the reservoir change just cause I'm using the ph solution so you cant see a color in black water

• Like Like x 1
  13. I ended up having a couple issues with the plant being mobile. so I set up a reservoir system and least to say it's been a rough past week for her, all the fan leaves dropped their trichromes in that time. this week is looking better though she has bounced back and is starting to look stellar again, sept for the frosty fans.

but my god. for week 7 I have two colas the size of a tall boy and a good number around there and she hasn't even swelled yet. he he

Attached Files:

14. Looks good. String city. It's getting close but lots of white hairs. It will get bigger. Starting to foxtail a bit.

15. Ya, every branch was so big it needed support from week 6. Ya I noticed the fox tailing just start to happen in the last week or so, but if it swells that would all easily be filled in.

Temps have been about 73 off and 82 on pretty much since the beginning. With humidity in the 50-60% range.

16. Foxtails are buds too. They add weight and are usually pretty dense on my plants. I let my last plant foxtail a bunch and it would have went longer if the spider mite hoard would have gave me more time. The buds got twice the size.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I don't know she isn't looking any worse off, the water doesn't have a smell. and everything is going good. sept for some of the leaves here.

like how long does it take for a plant to show symptoms? she's been in the clear for a week.

IMG_20170921_071554878.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Well it's come to judgment day. About 50-70% of the pistils are brown. The trichromes don't have any amber. But she is swelling up mighty fine. And is down to 10/14 for lighting ( taper off at the end)

Its week 9 right now for her with the exception of a lost week due to shock. I want to harvest as she is herming out but am on the edge right now cuase the trichromes arnt amber at all.

Usually for my soil grows they are blatant, but in DWC it's just changed the whole plant entirely and am unsure if the sativa traits ( pink kush) are cuasing the trichromes to stay cloudy.

First pic is lights out. The leaf damage was caused by a res change, ph ping ponging/ mild root rot but the plants roots have recovered.

Attached Files:

19. I say it's just about done. I wouldn't let a hermie hang around too long. You'll have to scour the tent to get rid of the pollen. There's nothing wrong with cloudy glands. As long as there isn't a significant majority of clear ones hanging around I would think about flushing in the next couple of days. I do a two-three day flush in DWC with GH florakleen. I usually change the water once so it gets two soakings of it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. yee this 4x4 tent that it's in is being demoted to veg tent along with a vinegar/bleach cleaning in prep for a 4x8.

and ya was going to do a three day flush with groteks cleaning stuff and switch to just water the second half. but ya a couple of the calyx's on the bottom pop corn nugz look like there seeding already.... at most she has another week to go.