How to quite down an inline fan?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SinsemillaPassion, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hello, so I've had my equipment for a long time, set up my tent today, I am ready to go pretty much expect my inline fan for my carbon filter is loud man, its like the hum before a train sets off, I'm in a flat so precautios need to be taken my friends.

I ve seen online putting it in a carboard box or a few of them, do you think this will be okay and not be a fire hazard or some shit?

At night obviously when the traffic has died down its going to be even louder so it needs sorting out. It's a 6" fan in a 4x4

Maybe I can put the fan outside the tent in lots of box's and just attach more ducting into the tent attaching to the carbon filter. Let me know stoners? I'm baked on good cheese atm so feeling creative.

2. Let me see how you've got it setup

• Like Like x 1
  3. Do you have a speed controller? I have a hurricane 6 inch inline. If it runs on high, it's loud as fuck. I generally run it on low to low/med and its not as bad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I think I saw the same youtube video as you. And I just moved into a new apartment, so I’m in the same boat as you.
    One other thing I was looking into was insulated ducting.

If you’re really feeling “rich”, check out Vortex S-Line Ultra Quiet inline fan; there’s a reference video on Youtube.
    Amazon has it here:

There’s also another one for the sake of variety: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074XBXFPD/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fuck it, I give up. Sorry for spamming up the thread bro!

6. That's how it is atm

Attached Files:

7. Haha thanks man I'll take a look, I don't know what works with this fan, ie I don't know if a speed control is possible

8. Uploaded an image on the thread.mate

9. When it's on I'll just sit here saying all abroad the train. This shit will get me busted man, box's it is hahaha

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I don't know tho it means extra work it's the fan itself loud as shit, hums more than anything n it's in a little room inside a grow tent so it's booming when you walk in

11. If figure out a solution let me know. I have a 4 inch hurricane and you'd think the thing runs off a diesel engine, I can't imagine a bigger fan. Its definitely a trade off would you rather have the smell or the noise.

12. No fan is silent I got a speed controller and built a box around mine and lined it with padding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. You could wrap it in insulation, like the pink fluffy stuff, and you could also line that with the egg cartons that aren't the styrofoam or plastic kind then wrap with a shit load of duct tape

14. You can add a speed controller to it I’m sure. Amazon has them for like 20 bucks us. Your fan is running on high and probably doesn’t need to be.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Will a speed controller work with this fan do you think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yeah just plug the speed controller in where you have the fan plugged in then plug the fan into the speed controller

17. [​IMG]. That fan will plug in straight to the controller. It’s an in-line idk why it wouldn’t work.

• Like Like x 2
  18. As someone else suggested, I would wrap insulation around it. I also think a speed controller would be a must-have since running the fan slower not only makes it quieter, it also makes the carbon filter more effective.
    They also have speed controllers with a thermostat... set the day and night temps on it and the fan will speed up or slow down to maintain the temps you set.

19. What I would do (and what I did do) in your situation is run ducting from the carbon filter to the fan, so it's not all one piece and you have some play. Then hang the carbon filter from bungee cords (hence why you need some play) and the bungee cord will eat the vibration causing the hum. Mine sounded like a diesel engine was idling in my yard. Hung it with a bungee cord and wham, no more diesel engine hum.

• Like Like x 5