how to properly germinate

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MastahDreads, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I put ten seeds in a paper towel and then put that in a tin box with a lid and put it at the top of my closet. Is that how to do it? Sorry I'm completely new.

2. Do you need all the chemicals and what not? I don't have access to that kind of stuff.

3. Chemicals to germinate? No. Just water.

4. Put the seed in soil 1/4" deep and water. It' not rocket science, people have been germinating seeds for hundreds of years like this.

PW

5. I don't mean to pry but I've been researching growing for a month and am still nervous about starting, but if you don't know how to germinate a seed is it really a good idea? Sounds like a potential waste of resources/time.

6. #7 azcactus, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
    No. I fill 4-3 gallon smart pots with soil about 4" from the top, poke a hole 2-2.5" deep in the middle with a pencil, drop a seed in, cover with soil, water lightly, put 600W MH light on 75% about 4" above the soil and wa-la, a plant appears in about 5-7 days.

Oh, one other thing, I am sure that's not the proper way, but it did work for me. 1st grow I did go from smaller container to smart pots, but did it the same way, then transplanted to smart pots. This time straight to smart pot. Don't you hate moving from place to place?

7. I'm talking about after the plant has broke surface. People are concerned about ph balance and all sorts of chemicals to put in their plant. I'd rather not do any of that. I don't have access to them.

8. As I said dude, I would really consider more research. You can't skimp on important things for your plant, it's literally going to be like throwing money away. You're going to have to put some $ in before you get G back.

9. The seedling has enough energy to grow until transplanting to a larger container. After transplanting, you will have to use some type of fertilizer, or start with it amended into the soil like organic mixes. pH chemicals are not needed in soil grows if the soil is properly made in the beginning, this is more of concern for hydro growers.

PW

10. Organics is no chem. Some of the best and best yielding. It just groes 1-2 weeks slower than hydro. That's all. Chem nutes imho are worthless

11. I don't mean to sound like an ass or anything but you're really being of no help to me at all. That's one of the reasons I'm on this site is for research like you're clearly telling me to do.

12. For next time, you might just want to forgo the paper towels altogether. I just soak my seeds overnight, then put them in soil the next day; gives me better results than the paper towels.

As far as chemicals go, you don't really need much. I would recommend at the very least investing in an aquarium pH test kit. Depending on your location, your tap water could be quite basic (mine is about 8), and that will start to cause problems fairly early in the grow. The solution isn't very complex, I usually store my water in a gallon jug, and I just add about half a teaspoon of lime juice every time I fill it up.

13. Straight into rapid rooters seems to work well IME, from there its into either soil or hydro(best part of rooters IMO).

Other the that....overnight in H2O, then tip down( about a 1/4-1/2 inch down) into Dixie cup of soil( 1part potting soil or castings, 1 part coco or peat, and 1 part perlite) wait 2-10 days.

I use a dome in the winter just for temp control...seedlings heat mats kill, when left in my hands.

14. [quote name='"Wharfrat74"']Straight into rapid rooters seems to work well IME, from there its into either soil or hydro(best part of rooters IMO).

Other the that....overnight in H2O, then tip down( about a 1/4-1/2 inch down) into Dixie cup of soil( 1part potting soil or castings, 1 part coco or peat, and 1 part perlite) wait 2-10 days.

I use a dome in the winter just for temp control...seedlings heat mats kill, when left in my hands.[/quote]

Seconded, I love rapid rooters. So simple just drop a seed in and wait. I do use a heat pad, but my grow area stays a bit cool outside of the tent.

15. Search it up, then! Check out the links in my signature; they'll help you establish a good soil environment otherwise your plants WILL die.

You have to give them some love before you can expect any love back! ;):smoking:

16. Then read books, learn, join in with others. Do what you want but I personally think if you're asking how to germinate seeds why would you consider proceeding without being competent in the other steps? Plus you're asking questions hat can be answered by google/search on GC. Got to help yourself! Good luck with it all however.

17. You two sound experienced with rapid rooters. Im currently trying to pop a seed in RR for the first time. I dont have a tray and dome but it sounds like its not necessary. Im worried about the RR drying out too much. I placed the seed into it after i saw a bit of taproot emerge via shot glass method.

I can peek inside a little through the hole in the top of the RR after moving a tiny piece of RR i put over the hole to keep light from possibly hurting the taproot. The taproot has grown and looks to be making its way downwards.

Ive read that for RR the key is keeping them moist but not soaking. I bought a replacement 50 pack of RR off amazon. They came a bit moist already so after preparing the RR by doing a quick soak in 5.8 pH water.

Now its been a couple days since i first placed the seed into the RR and im worried that it is drying much too fast. I spray it with a bit of 5.8 water whenever i check on it because it always seems to have dried out again every time i check on it! If i lightly squeeze it, it feels dry. I have it in my cloning cabinet under one 23w cfl 8inches above it 24/7 with temps between 70-75 and Rh of 40%-60%

Do your guys' RR dry out this fast too?

18. [quote name='"pointswest"']Put the seed in soil 1/4" deep and water. It' not rocket science, people have been germinating seeds for hundreds of years like this.

PW[/quote]

I like this. :D

19. [quote name='"Dingus"']

You two sound experienced with rapid rooters. Im currently trying to pop a seed in RR for the first time. I dont have a tray and dome but it sounds like its not necessary. Im worried about the RR drying out too much. I placed the seed into it after i saw a bit of taproot emerge via shot glass method.

I can peek inside a little through the hole in the top of the RR after moving a tiny piece of RR i put over the hole to keep light from possibly hurting the taproot. The taproot has grown and looks to be making its way downwards.

Ive read that for RR the key is keeping them moist but not soaking. I bought a replacement 50 pack of RR off amazon. They came a bit moist already so after preparing the RR by doing a quick soak in 5.8 pH water.

Now its been a couple days since i first placed the seed into the RR and im worried that it is drying much too fast. I spray it with a bit of 5.8 water whenever i check on it because it always seems to have dried out again every time i check on it! If i lightly squeeze it, it feels dry. I have it in my cloning cabinet under one 23w cfl 8inches above it 24/7 with temps between 70-75 and Rh of 40%-60%

Do your guys' RR dry out this fast too?[/quote]

No mine do not dry out, that is the point in using the tray and dome. I also use a heat mat to keep temps up which speeds up the process.

I do not Ph my water, there is no need with rapid rooters. That is a rockwool thing to help counteract the Ph of the material.

I also do not use the shotglass method. It doesn't make any since to me to soak a seed for 24 hours.

All I do is give the rapid rooter a quick dunk in water. Place it in the tray and drop a seed in. Then I use a small piece of material pulled off the bottom of the plug to cover the open hole. Usually they sprout around 48 to 72 hours afterwards.

You can pick up a cheap tray and dome from Walmart for $2.50. They are not made for rapid rooters but will work. That will help maintain good humidity. My rooters dot not dry out at all just by making sure there us a bit of water in the bottom of the tray. With the large tray I use, even with a heat mat I really don't have to add water more than once a week. With Mj they are in pots or cups by five days, and I really only add water with some of my ornamentals that have much longer germ times.