Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

HOW to pick the perfect length for a tolerance break

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Stormcrow, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I don't know man.
    I've smoked every single day, dank medical, for 3 years. I have taken tolerance breaks in between those.

I've found:

1 week = I will feel high as a kite for one or 2 days of smoking. Then it's just back to normal pretty much.

10 days = High as a kite for a week and a half, then back to normal

2 weeks = Same deal as 10 days, only my tolerance is back to normal after a bit longer

3 weeks = I'm fuckin flyin for a whole month

Dunno about one month, but I did 7 months: Holy. Fucking. Fuck. I could only take 3 drags from a mini zig zag joint and i was fried as fuck. Took agesssssssss for my tolerance to go back up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. [quote name='"Stormcrow"']Tolerance breaks don't have to be all that long, you know. THC has a half life of 4 days- this is a scientific term which meas that over 4 days, half of the THC in your system will degrade. As an example:

Day 0 - 100% tolerance
    Day 2 - 75% tolerance
    Day 4 - 50% tolerance
    Day 6 - 37.5% tolerance
    Day 7 - 31.5% tolerance
    Day 8 - 25% tolerance
    Day 10 - 18.75% tolerance
    Day 12 - 13.88% tolerance
    Day 14 - 9.38% tolerance
    Day 18 - 4.69% tolerance

So, this pretty much means:
    - four days will halve your tolerance
    - a week will cut your tolerance to one third
    - two weeks will cut it to one tenth

the tolerance you loose over the last three weeks of a month tolerance break is equal to nearly a fourth of what you loose in the first week. barring a drug test, why take a month break? the hit to lifestyle is not equitable to the possible gain.

Thus, if you're trying to lower your tolerance, an entire month break isn't very efficient. If you're trying to get virgin low tolerance, going past 14 days isn't "cost" effective at all. For a general tolerance break, approximately 1 week is the best solution.

Just some cool stuff.
    Stormcrow[/quote]

Your math is off.

3. [quote name='"asdfg420"']

Where exactly did you get your percentages from? Because one of the first things I noticed was that regardless of whether or not your half life time is right, some of your numbers seem off.

N(t)=N[initial]*e^[-(lambda)*t]

N(t) : amount of thc with respect to time
    N[intial] : obviously the amount of thc that you started with
    lambda : half life of thc [lambda = ln(2)/half life]
    t : time

So if your half life time is 4 days, your lambda is .693/4=0.17325

N(t) = N*e^(-.17325*t)
    N(t)/N = the decimal amount left after a time, t
    e^(-.17325*12days) = 0.125055205, or 12.5%, or about 1/8.

This makes sense because after 12 days, assuming 3 half lives, there should be exactly 1/8 the original amount of thc left.

You can use the formula and put in any time you want for t (I used t in days, not hours), and you should get the amount of thc left in your system, but I doubt that's the only factor in determining your tolerance level.

Also, where did you get your half life time for THC? A quick google search gave me times ranging from 20 hours to 10 days, another said it is 8 days. 4 may be right, I'm just pointing out that I couldn't find a clear answer from this search (then again I only looked at the first 2 search results).

Not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying this may not be the BEST way to pick the length of a break.[/quote]

That's what I'm saying.

4. #44 UniqueGrass, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
    Would sleeping 10 hours a day and eating lots of protein decrease tolerance faster than cardio and water?

I ask because the receptors are made of protein, so more protein equals faster receptor recovery time, right? And with sleeping, the brain 'recharges' itself by refilling neurotransmitters' supplies.

I just made up this theory, and would like to see if it could be true.

Edit: If you're in shape and at least semi-active, your body's metabolism will speed up, your brain recovers much faster, and you stay high for much longer thanks to faster and more efficient blood flow and better CNS performance in general. Is this true?

5. Also, since edibles don't affect smoking tolerance, could someone just eat edibles during a 2 week break and still get blazed after that first smoke or would the receptors still be getting flooded and therefore not recover faster than if you were to have no weed at all?

Also, edible tolerance goes up quicker than smoking.

6. #46 Sourmetalhead, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
         I think everyones math is off because the half-life of a compound is measured in hours and is continuous. The half life of THC is 1.6–59 hours as per "<span>Grotenhermen F (2003). "Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cannabinoids" but I like to just say 72 hours because its rounding up to the next 24 hour mark so everyone gets and extra 12 hours a day of soberness as a insurance policy to make sure you get extra high when you come back from your break and besides the fact that 1.6-59 hours is the lowest half life I have seen posted online. I think alot of people confuse half-life with metabolites that are non-psychoactive and are dectected by drug tests for up to 30 days, because the metabolites have nothing to do with drug tolerance. Below is a correctly calculated tolerance degradation chart. if you break for 10 days your will get 10x higher and if you break for 23 days you will get 200x higher. Btw tolerance to THC builds regardless of if you are smoking, vaping or eating edibles. Nothing reduces tolerance but time becuase it is all past the blood brain barrier that your tolerance is decreasing.</span>

v<<<Percent of Tolerance Remaining
    Day 1 - 100% (First 24 Hours Without Ingesting THC)
    Day 2 - 75%
    Day 3 - 50% (72 Hours)
    Day 4 - 41.66%
    Day 5 - 33.333%
    Day 6 - 25% (144 Hours)
    Day 7 - 20.83%
    Day 8 - 16.666%
    Day 9 -12.5% (216 Hours)
    Day 10 - 10.415% (10% is 1/10th The Original Tolerance. You will get 10x higher)
    Day 11 - 8.333%
    Day 12 - 6.25%
    Day 13 - 5.207%
    Day 14 - 4.166%
    Day 15 -3.125%

7. i dont understand this. I took a 2 week t break a month ago and my tolerance was nowhere near 4% of what it usually was. Maybe closer to 50%. Was kinda bummed actually. A bowl i usually smoke got me noticeably higher, but not even half a dab strength

That sucks bro. Even though this is all very scientific and convincing it all really depends on the person. My tolerance is extremely high. I can smoke mid grade (any kind of weed marketed as piff, sour, high-grade, etc... on the black market) all day long and still be very unsatisfied with the effect. I'm about to take a 8 day break and come back on new years. I'm not sure how high im gonna get, but last time I took a 15 day break and I got extremely high so I am hoping 8 days will be enough to restore my tolerance.

9. I stopped smoking for almost a whole year and on my second day of smoking my tolerance went up fast

10. I say always go for atleast 4 days but even 2 days youll notice some difference. 

11. [quote name="Stormcrow" post="9880850" timestamp="1300164156"]

Tolerance breaks don't have to be all that long, you know. THC has a half life of 4 days- his is a scientific term which meas that over 4 days, half of the THC in your system will degrade. As an example:

Day 0 - 100% tolerance
    Day 2 - 75% tolerance
    Day 4 - 50% tolerance
    Day 6 - 37.5% tolerance
    Day 7 - 31.5% tolerance
    Day 8 - 25% tolerance
    Day 10 - 18.75% tolerance
    Day 12 - 13.88% tolerance
    Day 14 - 9.38% tolerance
    Day 18 - 4.69% tolerance

So, this pretty much means:
    - four days will halve your tolerance
    - a week will cut your tolerance to one third
    - two weeks will cut it to one tenth

the tolerance you loose over the last three weeks of a month tolerance break is equal to nearly a fourth of what you loose in the first week. barring a drug test, why take a month break? the hit to lifestyle is not equitable to the possible gain.

Thus, if you're trying to lower your tolerance, an entire month break isn't very efficient. If you're trying to get virgin low tolerance, going past 14 days isn't "cost" effective at all. For a general tolerance break, approximately 1 week is

I've been smoking daily 5-8 joints with some bowls every day (at least) since 3years in a row and I smoke all. we have really dank buds I mean really dank some of my friends came from America and Europe and they was really amazed with the quality of the stuff we have black/blonde/brown and even red hash and I use everything so how much I need to low my tolerance, ,,,,,,,,,, its really really high I think,,,,,,,,,,, by the way have u ever tried some of our shit (specially Lebanese shit)??

12. I've been smoking daily 5-8 joints with some bowls every day (at least) since 3years in a row and I smoke all. we have really dank buds I mean really dank some of my friends came from America and Europe and they was really amazed with the quality of the stuff we have black/blonde/brown and even red hash and I use everything so how much I need to low my tolerance, ,,,,,,,,,, its really really high I think,,,,,,,,,,, by the way have u ever tried some of our shit (specially Lebanese shit)??

13. Uhh you're thinking to much bro.... Just smoke weed and forget the t break

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Him i believe this is arithmetic. Or geometric. Help me out blades!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. This isn't actually true. Tolerance is a change in body chemistry that makes the body less sensitive to THC, to retain homeostasis. I'm not sure of the actual mechanism for doing this but I assume that the body either produces a chemical to counter the effects of THC, or reduces the sensitivity of the body's cannabinoid receptors. Probably the latter.

16. Im not sure where you got this info but half lifes are only seen in atoms with an unstable nucleus, as in radio active. if it isnt undergoing radioactive decay the half life isnt how it decays, it all decays at the same rate. also your tolerance isnt based on how much thc is inside your system, its based on your amount of cb1 receptors which decrease over time with moderate to heavy use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Usually half life as determined by the FDA is an exact science. However I don't buy the times 1/2 lives as stated above in this forum. I've used fairly regularly for > 45 years and get some very potent bud. I recently took an 11 day break due to respitory concerns. I really didn't get any more buzzed than when I take my usual 2 - 3 day breaks. Either way after a day or 2 that fresh very strong buzz goes away. Perhaps it depends on the strength of the cannabinoid's?

18. day 61 of my T-break.. I just hope the military rejects me so I can smoke my wonderful pot again. jeez. I'm not enjoying life nor the person I am sober. :sad:

19. Feds are very strict. Hey the service is cool I enjoyed. Plus I smoked tons while in the 82nd

20. I feel it would be a great new experience. Beats commuting 2 hours everyday to my biomed job awaiting the years to elapse so that I can have enough experience to apply to the engineering dept.

nowadays i see everywhere that you need 2 years of experience + AS degree/ or (me) 6 years of experience + no degree/ or 1 year experience + military training.

And the military way sounds bad ass to me.

But unfortunately, currently i have a charge for exhibiting an imitation firearm pending since December, a misdemeanor. So that’s where my doubt comes from. I wouldn’t be too upset if they said “no your records to bad we don’t want you”. I also wanted to join to aid in me seeming like a regular civilian for when/if they tell me I have court again. First court appearance they told me no charges had been file but it may take up to a year. Said my case was sent back to the county due to lack of evidence so Hopefully they drop the charges, I really don’t want to do 31 days in county and lose my current job. :frown: