How to move out?

Discussion in 'General' started by Antonacci44, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Hey guys, I am 19 and being forced to move out of my parents house next year. I am scared because I have never had a real job plus I have never lived alone. I have started saving up some money, (currently only have $1,300). I am still in community college but I'm not sure what I plan on doing when I finish. I don't know if this is a lot to ask for but I want to move to a place where I can snowboard.

Does anyone have any advice or lessons on what to do/expect when I move? My parents will probably help me but they always soften up the truth.

2. #2 A guy, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
    You should expect to pay first and last months rent as well as a security deposit (usually as much as 1 month's rent, refundable if you leave the place in good clean condition) up front. If you move to a ski town, there are usually jobs a plenty. Check out temp agencies. Try to get one on the mountain so you can get a pass. I did this, part time (so you can snowboard) on mtn for the pass then part time at a restaurant for more money. You should work very hard and show interest in your work even if it's a shitty job. Your supervisors will see that and move you up the ladder, getting more money. Work hard and play hard.

When I was your age, I moved to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. I lived in my bus till I secured a place and work and I snowboarded my ass off for a few years. College wasn't in my life at the time.

3. Much will depend on whether you live alone or with others in an apartment or house...if the lease is with others, then explore the severability elements so that you know whether you are at risk of being hung with everything if the others bail before the end of the lease. As noted, also expect first/last as deposit and also deposits for electric/water/gas. Cable may or may not require a deposit.

You may also have an application fee for at least the residence depending on whether it is a managed property or an independent owner.

Rent is usually required no later than the third of the month or else it begins to accrue late fees.

Without knowing where you are now, it is difficult to say what to expect being somewhere close to enough snow for snowboarding...the closer you get to the slopes, the higher you can anticipate expenses to include even the simple things like groceries if my travels during ski season are any indicator.

4. Bro come to Michigan we can snowbroad soon I'm 19 also I can't grow because my moms against it I bought all the equipment and she caught me she's been on my case for moving out lets just be roommates or apartment buddies idk I'm planning on going to Mott next year I have 1950 saved so yeah 🏿

5. I suggest finding some roommates.

You'll have a much tougher time without them.

6. Find a friend or two that care about you if your parents don't want you in their life.

7. You need a job. That $1,300 won't be shit if you don't have a job. No apartment will approve you without you having verifiable legitimate regular income. Usually you need to make 3x as much as the monthly rent to be approved, but some places let that slide. For example if you're making 2,000 a month you should pay more than around $660 for rent. That can be tough depending on where you're at.

How close are you to graduating? If you could crash with friends to share the rent that would help tremendously, could also use craigslist roommate section for your city. I've used craigslist roommates 4 times now it works pretty well. My current roommate is a dank dealer who sells to me for half price, just saying putting 4/20 friendly iun your ad might help haha.

But shit dude, I even moved out with $450 to my name and no job, everything i owned fit in my little Mitsu Eclipse, just fuckin up and moved 800 miles and lived in my car til I could afford a place. Again...I had a job locked down.

Job job job. That's what we are all alive for, apparently: work 40+ hours a week to pay bills until you die

8. I'm 19 and have been working since 15, no reason to be scared of a job. Find you a job that will allow you to pay your rent and still have money to use for food,weed,etc... You already have 1,300 but don't use it for rent UNTIL you have a job, because it won't take long to go through 1,300. You just have to go out there and do it, once you get on your feet living independent won't be too difficult.

9. I'd suggest moving into a place with some friends. At least that's what I did, it was nice to be with a few people who were in the same boat. Also we all play an instrument and jamming is fucking awesome

10. Find a friend or two that either need a roomate or want to move out as well, that will make rent so much easier. Don't forget you have to feed yourself. Craigslist should help you find both a place to live and a job. Good luck, man. Hit up some thrift shops or craigslist free section for some furniture.

11. Here is what I would do.

Go get a job at walmart. The requirements are usually a pulse and willingness to accept crappy pay.
    Save up as much as possible.

Pay cash for a cheap mobile home in an area relatively close to the mountains. Then you only have your lot fee to pay monthly which is usually much cheaper than rent and you don't have to take on any roommates.
    Pay for everything in cash, no payments on vehicles or unneeded crap.
    I cant speak for other states but you could do that here in Co and depending on area keep your rent for a 2 - 3 bedroom less than $500/ month.
    Take the spare bedroom that you have and turn it in to a grow room. No more paying for weed beyond basic cost of supplies and electricity.
    That crappy Walmart job, well if you are transferring out of state and have been there six months with no disciplinary problems they will almost always let you transfer without an issue. Finding a local Walmart usually isn't a problem in most areas. So you would have something for money that was at least guaranteed in your new area. Once you get settled in start looking for better jobs where you can apply your education.

You could get started for a few k or so and have lower payments to enjoy your new location.

I know a mobile home isn't ideal but compared to renting an apartment a cheap one will pay for itself quickly and then you can save the difference you would have been paying for rent and apply it to having fun, or save it to buy your own home in a few years once you have an established career. As a plus, if you own it there aren't any bitchy landlords to deal with telling you if can or cant smoke, have a pet, grow a few lbs of pot in the extra room, etc.

12. #12 SmokinP, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
    Houseshare. Move in with kids your own age who have good jobs or are serious about school/education.

Pay a little bit extra to live in a place you like being in. Never live in a shithole. It is important to always be able to retreat to a safe comfortable environment.

Oh and try and get as big a bedroom as possible. Having your own bathroom and a sofa in your room would be a luxury, but the icing on the cake.

After that it's apiece of piss.

13. If you already have $1300 saved up, and have one more year to plan - you're ahead of the game. Get a job and keep putting $ in your piggy bank.

If you can afford to live alone - do it. Then you're not relying on dipshit roommates to pay you on time for the energy, internet/cable, garbage/recycling, water bill, ect...or dealing w/ a pissed off landlord bc a portion of the rent is late/missing.

If flying solo isn't an option, carefully choose your roommates. Sometimes the best 'friends' are the worst roommates. When you're thinking about who to live with, make your choice based on responsibility factors, not coolness - you'll thank yourself in the long run.

14. Move into a hostel. Cheap rent, shared accommodation. You'll meet people and maybe meet some opportunity.