How to minimize basement smell while drying?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by dsomers, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Hello All. I've just found this page, very helpful. I dried my first crop in the basement, within dehumidifier running, humidity 45 - 50%, temps in the 60s. I let it dry too long, got fairly crispy, but was still fine in all respects except that it captured that musty, moldy basement smell. Did not taste good at all. It's not a bad basement as basements go, but it's still a basement.

Seems to me it may have been partly because I left it drying too long (3 weeks, almost...!) and so it soaked up extra smell, but I'm wondering if it would help to put it in a grow tent and bring air into the tent through a carbon filter. Or maybe just leave a vent open and circulate air inside the tent with the filter.

Other options are to do it in a shed outside, where I'd need to have a heater running and monitor with daily weather changes, or a closet inside, where I'd have to remove all the clothes and still would have concerns about smell.

What do you think?

2. #2 #Groot, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
    Hmmm... 3 weeks ???

You obviously didn't research here before the next step....
    You can still do some research on over drying...

Some say moisten it... Some say that's bad...
    The Jar curing stage should still be in order...

Also... Some have ways to add flavor...
    Maybe a Lemon type might COVER yer old Sock smell...( JK )

I'm curious why you didn't dry it in the Tent first ?
    That was my plan... Since I have an exhaust fan...
    ( 10- 15 min per Hour ).... The smell will go outside...

3. Damn, sorry to hear this! I dont know man, it seems like air is the only thing that would help. I never had this problem tho. I'm in a legal state, so I just dry mine in my bedroom with the ceiling fan blowing on it. I'm curious to see what you get for replies.

Good luck!!

4. Now that's an idea! Maybe some lemon, or orange peels in the curing jars??? Search, search & research lol.

5. no, it actually came out fine with curing. i put little slices of carrot in the jars to moisten it a bit. it's only the smell that's the problem. not so concerned about legal issues (live in the country) but i have a renter, want to keep it low key. the smell gets pretty strong when it's drying!

6. Glad to hear man, at least it didn't get moldy. Yeah, I love when the smell permeates the house while trimming/drying lol.

It's all good! :p