How To Make My Home Wifi Network More Secure?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by BP to the DP, Jun 19, 2013.

I've recently bought a new router; when you are on the market take a look at the NetGear N300

Costs about 50 bucks from walmart and it is quite a good router.  reasonably new and has a few firmware updates so its not just a router that has been released and left to fend for itself in the world of exploits/hacks etc.

2. #22 Fëanor, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013

You need to think about what you're saying.  Not all networks involve the Internet.  Yes your typical user is using the Internet and that will be their bottleneck.  But you are outright stating that twisted pair cabling is not faster than wireless, when it clearly is.  It's math, how can you argue math?

1000 Mbps > 300 Mbps.  Period.  End of story.

Ask and you shall receive.  Attached to this post is a screenshot of my computer receiving a file transfer at just over 500 Mbps (faster than 802.11n WiFi can possibly support).  Perhaps now you can see why I would be LIMITING MY SPEED if I switched to a wireless network connection.

Attached Files:

3. What is the source of the file you are receiving?  is it from within your household or what?  I mean i am not by any means particularly knowledgeable in the networking field but I'd like to think I know a few things.

If it is from within your network then I am not really impressed. I know that data can transfer on intranets very fast and never doubted that.  This is the equivalent of me saying Ethernet cables are better because using a Lan Client of Starcraft Broodwar will result in 0 Latency with an opponent, but playing on the internet whether over ethernet or wifi will result in a number that is significantly higher than 0.  if you understand what im trying to say there.

Show me you downloading 1gbps from the eenterwebz n ill be jelly.  Until then, I dont have much need for in house 1 gbps internet speeds.

Maybe you could fill in some info because I feel like i got some holes in my post here as I said i feel like i know a thing or two but I am not a network admin or anything.

4. You're obviously correct, other guy is clueless Lmao

you know your shit. You into networking as a hobby or work?

It has worked for me, how could it be hacked?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #25 llllllllll, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
    Exactly what I thought.  If its a home network I couldnt care less how much your transfer speed is.  On the internet is where it matters.  I dont play games and download files locally. So 1 gbps speed just seems utterly useless.

So, like I said, on the internet, playing games/downloading songs watching videos, wired or wireless connection isnt going to matter for anything other than stabilities sake.

Depends on your usage.  I transfer terabytes and terabytes and terabytes around my home network (mostly TV and movies) so that is where it matters most to me.

But, so you know, Google does offer Internet service with Gigabit speeds!  So far they are only offering it in their pilot city (Kansas City) but they have plans to expand.

tnh - I work in IT but you could say it's somewhat of a hobby as well ;)

7. Just like to point out that if someone really wanted in, they could sniff out and spoof a whitelisted mac address and still get in

What allows you to do all this transferring?  Do you have like a ton of movies on your HD and stream them to other devices?

I would love to have google fiber in my area.  

9. #29 Fëanor, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
    Yep pretty much!

Step 1 - Netflix arrives in the mail. 7-discs out at a time. Hurray!
    Step 2 - Netflix goes into the ripping computer which has 5 Blu-Ray drives, so it's usually enough to rip all the Netflix discs at once since they come at different times. While ripping, the entire size of the ripped files is transferred from the ripping computer to the file server.
    Step 3 - The cluster of 3 transcoding servers reads the file from the file server, then transcodes it to reduce the file size a little bit, then saves the new file back to the file server
    Step 4 - I use Plex to stream the videos to all the computers in the house. I have 30 Mbps upload speed so I can stream it pretty well to external devices as well (cell phones, iPads, work computers, etc)

10. Yeah you need to get rid of the wep password and switch to wpa2. Open your browser and type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and it should pop up with your router information. You're in your login info and from there you can change your password settings.

11. If that IP doesn't work you can look in your modems quick start guide or check online for your brand of modem to find the right one.