How To Make Good Oil Step By Step With Pictures

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by GreenOperator, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Why is there no need for a hexane wash? I feel like that oil must have a lot of other things dissolved in it from the buds.

2. iv never done the hexane wash myself. but thats why i use the pillowcase and pour method. it doesnt soak at all, just runs through so it abosrbs as few un-needed/unwanted things as possible and at the same time making what you get very potent. im always very pleased with what i get from it, so i dont like to mess with it ;)

3. i rolled a joint with about 1g of dank homegrown hindu kush skunk and about .6 of dank dank dank iso lol will update

4. Awesome guide, many thanks, sir. [​IMG]

Last time I made oil, I used a very similar technique. I ground up all my herb (roughly an ounce), put it in cheesecloth, ran the Iso through it, and put the mixture in a Pyrex dish over a cheap hotplate until the alcohol had entirely evaporated. The resulting concentrate was extremely potent, but my yield was disparagingly low (4-5gs at the most).

So, here are my questions:
    1. How much oil *should* I be able to extract per ounce? Should I have soaked the bud and then strained it through the cheesecloth? Or is the 'pillowcase method' (pouring the Isopropyl over the weed already in the cheesecloth 'bowl' directly over the Pyrex dish) more effective?
    2. Can this method be used to make oil from straight kief/resin glands (I've probably got almost 4g's)? Or would I be better off grinding up nug and mixing the bud & kief together?

I'm certain I could ascertain this information through experimentation/trial and error, but I was hoping that I could get an expert's advice and save myself the heartbreak of another disappointing batch of extract, lol.

Thanks in advance,
    -Brolito-

5. gross... don't do this only make bho.... i made this alcohol wash once, it was the same black goo, it was gross.... too much chlorophyl..... just make BHO with your trim guy... you'll get a lot of it if you have a lot of trim...... i've heard of people selling it for 100 bucks a g where i live..... i think it's funny that someone started doing this whenever.... i guarantee you he was reading an article about iso hash and thought "oh!!! alcohol duh" iso referrs to isobutane canisters...... i have a frriend that claims he can make full melt from CO2..... there are videos on youtube of people using dry ice as well.... all are better methods than using isopropyl alcohol as a wash.....

6. if you run a zip for bho expect a little less than half back

7. This might help

How to make Honey Oil

although I would change the information to Use Vector Brand Butane or similar 5x filtered only... and DONT use PVC use a glass tube.... butane degrades pvc.

8. I posted that a while back. I make some bomb qwiso with no chlorphyll, it's more of a shadder glass consistency, you just don't know the techniques. BHO is not 100 bucks a g so idk where the fuck you live.

9. [quote name='"mastershaker"']

if you run a zip for bho expect a little less than half back[/quote]

Have you ever even made bho or do you just go around suggesting things you have never tried. I would sell you my house if you got a little less than half return...that's like 28gs of buds to 12 grams of bho....? Hahaha get out of here.

10. Bho definitely yields a higher quality product. I made iso, but it produces that black goo compared to a nice goldish bho that's way more potent. That second pic was an earlier batch that was a little too green. But that golden bho was made with some og kush and white Russian, its fuckin dank

Attached Files:

11. That's bomb eggs! But people can't hate on qwiso simply because they soak it too long an dont know how to make it. I agree bho is more potent but qwiso is easier for different reasons. I make both bho and qwiso, and find them both great for different reasons

12. i've been making it for a little over a year and any real heads i know only smoke erl...... i'm on the east coast, yes half, you can keep running it and get more than half, but the product is of lesser quality more waxy etc... people i know only run once and save it to run again at a later time as rerun.....

when i made qwiso, i did exactly what you've done, only 30second wash, still gross black goo wasn't even full melt, burned like resin

i can't stand you people who think the whole world is ignorant just because they aren't in california... i don't get on here and lie and make shit up... i'm just here to give my opinion about qwiso and share my experience..... losers get a life

13. Im as east as it gets homie, in Miami on the Atlantic lol. Its all about making it yourself we don't need clubs to get stoned

14. i live in va beach...... east coast is the best coast

15. I don't think you're ignorant because you're not from Cali? That's quite the assumption there. Just simply pointing out that a 30 second wash is too long, and you probably did a few other things that decreased the final product.

The only way you can get close to half of you're orgininal product is if you run like 3 cans of tane through 1 zip...which make some really poor quality oil. If you can show me some picks of you getting half return of decent quality oil I will believe you but It is impossible to get 7 grams of oil from 14 grams of product...unless you're bho is full of shit you don't want to be extracted. It's finding the medium between quality and quantity. But I'll take quality any day. 1 oz of buds is good for 1 can of tane which will get you 1-3 grams depending on you're techniques.

16. [quote name='"washedmothafuka"']

I don't think you're ignorant because you're not from Cali? That's quite the assumption there. Just simply pointing out that a 30 second wash is too long, and you probably did a few other things that decreased the final product.

The only way you can get close to half of you're orgininal product is if you run like 3 cans of tane through 1 zip...which make some really poor quality oil. If you can show me some picks of you getting half return of decent quality oil I will believe you but It is impossible to get 7 grams of oil from 14 grams of product...unless you're bho is full of shit you don't want to be extracted. It's finding the medium between quality and quantity. But I'll take quality any day. 1 oz of buds is good for 1 can of tane which will get you 1-3 grams depending on you're techniques.[/quote]

50% return. I would like to learn how also. I only get about 15% max. And that's all dank nugs.

17. sorry iv ben gone for a while, but to mastershaker, if you washed for 30 seconds you washed to long. there is no soaking whatsoever involved. it pours out as fast as it pours in. minimal chlorophyl. you clearly got to much chlorophyl in your batch. i dont like to hate on here i only want to be helpful, but if you wanna come in here and hate on this thread then how about you actualy try and run it right before you go bashing the method eh? sounds reasonable to me. When done properly, i prefer my...as you call it " black gooey shit "...over the " honey oil "... to me i think it tastes better and i can make it very potent. Also by the way real honey oil was made with blonde lebanese hash. any " honey oil " that you make isnt true honey oil. although i dont fault you for it because many, many people do refer to that as honey oil these days.

18. Well as i just said, you dont soak your buds unless you want more less potent oil. i always go for the fastes wash, the highest quality, no matter the quantity. there is no soaking at all. i usualy only make when i have more or less a pound of product to make it with. i use leaf, trimmings, and popcorm buds. and i dont grind them up, just leave it how it is. less chance of small particles getting through your pillow case, but if you follow all my steps when you filter through the coffee filters they will pick up all hte small particles that do get through. i think on average i get 10 full vials when i make it. im not sure how much is in a vial, but if you know then you could do the math to figure out how much oil per oz i average from it. if you ask me, dont soak the product longer because you want more oil out of it.

19. Great guide! Cant wait to give this a try myself.. :wave: Look at all of that black sticky goodness!:hippie:

20. Hell ya brother