Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to make edibles with no smell

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by NeverMistakeMe, Jul 27, 2012.

1. #1 NeverMistakeMe, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    This WILL work.

-Open as many windows/doors/vents/etc.. as you can around the kitchen or wherever you're cooking.

-Take advantage of all of the fans you might have, a lot of kitchen appliances come with a vent or a fan, especially microwaves.

-If you have an air conditioner use it, it doesn't even need to be in the kitchen, turn it on and get as much fresh air circulating through the house as possible.

-Use air fresheners like Febreeze, or Ozium. Don't use body sprays because that's kind of sketchy.

-Make some toast, burn at least one piece in the toaster, you can eat the others. I find this method to work the best of them all.

Edit: Popcorn is also a great way to mask the smell. Intentionally burning the popcorn masks it a lot more than just freshly popped pop-corn.

2. Or bacon, bacon works great too, and it tastes hella good.

3. [quote name='"hightimes420guy"']Or bacon, bacon works great too, and it tastes hella good.[/quote]

Yup! :nom:
    Maybe even overcooking just a couple strips might have you all set

4. Or you just use the oven as your heating source. Cover and seal your pan, or whatever you are using, with a couple sheets of tin foil. This eliminates smell and vapors which may escape during the process.

If you are making your home reek due to edible processing. Then you are doing something wrong

5. [quote name='"jkcole"']Or you just use the oven as your heating source. Cover and seal your pan, or whatever you are using, with a couple sheets of tin foil. This eliminates smell and vapors which may escape during the process.

If you are making your home reek due to edible processing. Then you are doing something wrong[/quote]

I find the only time it smells is when you are decarbing and actually making the oil/butter.

6. or just mix oil/butter/ and 1 gram of weed, spread on a graham cracker, wrap in plastic wrap and set it on your dresser for a few days to absorb the goodness, eat and get messed up.

works for me :D

7. [quote name='"NeverMistakeMe"']

I find the only time it smells is when you are decarbing and actually making the oil/butter.[/quote]

Yes. But if you are smelling it, you must not have it covered like you should while you decarb and process the oils or butters. This is a key step and will ensure potency, and virtually no smell! :smoke:

8. use a glass jar with two-piece lid. you only need the part on the left that you screw on, and foil

[​IMG]

replace the right part in the picture with at least 2 pieces of tin foil. make an indent into the container with the foil before screwing the left piece over it. You now have an airtight container! Pop it in the oven before preheat, the foil will puff out as the hot air expands, vs a normally sealed glass jar bursting

9. How about a mason jar? aren't they designed for oven?

Has anyone tried decarbing with a mason jar? if so, I would assume no smell escapes until you open it [which you can do safely in your room]

10. those pieces are for a mason jar

11. Oh i see, so I take it that air escapes the mason jar while in the oven and the foil does a good job of sealing it.

12. #12 BadKittySmiles, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    Many people don't realize that, with the right temperatures and a proper seal, edible oils don't have to smell... at all.

Not during the decarb, not during the oil making process, and if you use a cold recipe like truffles or a sandwich, your edible itself doesn't have to produce and odor either!
    I've invited police officers into my house during an emergency, mid-process, and they have been none the wiser... most of my patients, can't tell the difference between the days I've been making oil, and the days I haven't been. :)

Many folks also don't realize that canning jars are made to breathe and allow air to escape, or vent out, while being heated. It's when they cool down that they create a vacuum, suck in, and create a seal!

We use foil, and oven bags, because hot air expands and especially if you inadvertently allowed too much water content in your mix, even at low temperatures steam will try to escape. Unlike a too-sturdy jar lid, using foil or a oven-safe cooking bag can allow for expansion without the release of the inner contents. :hello:

Once it's cooled, any inadvertent vapors can settle back into the mix (these will be primarily terpene-related vapors, not cannabinoids, if you followed a good guide and controlled your temps properly).