How To Make A Cheap Effective Carbon Air Filter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Gloran, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Hello every one. There is a similar problem that every single indoor grower faces and that is the sweet danky scent of the cannabis plant. although nice to smell, you have to make sure that the air you are venting out of your grow box/area does not smell so as neighbors or passersby do not smell it and know what you are doing and possibly call the police!...friggin nosy neighbors

I will be showing you step by step a very easy and cheap way to make a carbon filter that will take away that lovely yet pesky smell.

hope this is useful to you

2. Lets start with Materials needed

1. Carbon

- This is very easy to obtain you should be able to get it at any local pet store i get the pebbled carbon in bags.

2. Alluminum venting

- very common can get it at any home improvement place such as Lowes, Home Hardware, Home Depo, Rona Cashway, Canadian Tire ect..

3. A few pencils or pieces of small wood, sturdy twig ect...

- you will see what you need it for.

4. Duct tape

- also available at any home improvement place...if u dont know where to get duct tape then your probly not the type who wants to make his own things rather then buy it lol

5. A Fan

- i just use a small 4 or 6 inch fan from Canadian Tire.

PS. i havnt bought the new fan for this yet so i took a picture of one im using to vent air into my grow...same fan that i will be using to vent air out through the filter.

Attached Files:

3. #3 Gloran, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
    Ok so now we got all the materials that we need lets make our carbon filter.

Step 1: what you have to do is gently poke 2 of your pencils or what ever you have decided to use through the alluminum venting beside one another but with some space between them...this is so that you can put your bags of carbon in place.

IMG_0199.JPG

Step 2: Ok so now that you got you pencils in place we take our bags of carbon and hold them sideways so all the carbon is on one half of the bag then fold te extra down and place it in where the pencils are. do this with 2 bags it should cover the whole area.

IMG_0204.JPG

Step 3: Now that we have our carbon in place we use the otehr 2 pencils we have the hold it in place. poke your pencil through the alluminum venting as close as u can to where the carbon is the when u are poking it through the other side angle it towards the carbon so they will be squeezing the carbon bags in place.

NOTE- when you put your second set of pencils in put them the oppisite of the first 2 you put in....if your first two pencils went in like this || put the next 2 in like this =

IMG_0206.JPG

Step 4: Now if u feel that you made a bigger hole with ur pencil and are afraid that air might just flow right out of it dont stress. its alluminum its like workin with playdoh you can use your fingers to squeeze the alluminum around the pencil. Although i suggest that you toss some duct tape on it until you feel satisfied that it wont leak air.

Step 5: The Final and easiest step to creating our carbon filter. just put duct tape around the edge on the inside of the alluminum venting attaching it to your carbon so that the air does not slip through the little spaces left on the outside of it, forcing the air through the carbon no matter what.

IMG_0208.JPG

Now that we have it made next i will show you how i Install it.

ignore the picture below.

Attached Files:

4. I can't imagine this having very much air flow. Can you please update the thread when you attach a fan? I'm curious to see if you can feel any air at all on the other side.

5. I got my fan that i will be using for the filter. il show you a pic of it so you can see, i put it up to the venting and i could feel air coming out the other side but i felt it would be better and work jsut as well if i only used the 2 bags instead of the 3 so i edited my post on how to make it i also taped up the pencils on the side the fan is on so that air doesnt blow out of there before it even has a chance to go through the filter. with out having it set up and completely sealed how i will i can feel air coming out the other side of it. also i have a few holes where teh pencils were when i had 3 bags in there cuz i had to move them closer when i took the 3rd out and u can feel air coming out of those also.

It will work just fine.

Attached Files:

6. how did you take that fan apart? i tried taking one apart to look like that from walmart and it was a bitch

7. It was realy quite simple. the outer cage was held on with 3 screws that i used a scredriver to take off and the stand that was on it was the same except only 2 screws and on the inside it had a nut on the screw so u had to hold the nut with a little pair of plyers and unscrew the screw with the screwdriver. i was going to show how i took it apaprt but then i didnt think that any one would have the same type of fan as me or need help taking it apart..way to prove me wrong lol, so for what its worth heres a pic of the box it came in and then the 2 pieces i took off of it...hope you understand how to do it now.

Attached Files:

8. lol. ya i saw the screws and knew that was how to get it apart, but there so damn small, and on there tight as hell,

9. and is that fan powerful enough to push a good amount of air through it? cause i plan on having one plant in a rubbermaid lsting it, but i cant have any smell, so the fan needs to be able to pull all air from the box so there are no leaks and no smell

10. I don't see that amount of carbon lasting that long. Over a few grows does the price of the carbon equal a refillable filter?

11. I'm at the end of flowering now, and the fact is, these toy filters don't work.

I'm not sure if people are using them becuase of a placebo effect, but a tub of Onagel is more effective than any of these Macgyver Filters.

(this is the second "homeJob" filter thats failed now, and the first time was with "jebo activated carbon filter bags" exactly the same as the ones youve shown, used for Aquirum filters)

12. The carbon is not expensive to buy i forget exactly how much i paid for it but it was defenitely under 10 dollars maybe 5 dollars. even if u had to replace it every grow which u shouldnt have to it would be worth it. its very easy to take out old ones and put in new ones.

the fan i got is pretty powerful it pushes a decent amount of air through, if ur grow area is sealed when the door or w.e is closed then this will take care of the smell...my bubble bucket plant is smelly and this is taking care of it

I dont know if u made the one i showed or not but im sorry the other one didnt work for you. this one i have here is working fine for me...maybe you dont have a strong enough fan for it?

13. Better be activated charcoal that you are using or that cheap thing is going to attract more attention than you are willing to put up with. I am not sure you can prevent the air from slipping in between the two bags that are held in place by pencils for crying out loud.

Great idea if you make sure that the airflow is sealed and the air is going through the charcoal and not side-stepping it somehow. I can see you bumping that thing and everything becoming dislodged and then you know what happens.

14. With mine it is hidden in a air conditioning sleeveno possible way to bump into it or any one see it. it is completely sealed all air is going through the carbon. it is working fine for me. its a cheap carbon filter easy to make that works....not anything fantastic lol

15. omg this just helped me out so much. you are a great man

16. hey where did you buy that fan from because i cant find anywhere tht sells it besides the factory site

17. got it at canadian tire...ur SOL if u live outside of canada lol, but as for the carbon, you can find something better then those bags of carbon...the bags are goo but they do restrict airflow compaired to the one im using now...the one im using now is just kind of like a foam square pad but its carbon not foam. its ben keeping the smell away as good as the bags but it lets the air flow out better...the square carbon foam pad is used in a cat litter box..you put it in the top of the litter box where theres a little opening for air to come out but it makes it smell like nothing instead of like cat shit lol.
    il see if i cant find a picture of it on the net for u.

18. here it is

CarbonPadPM1k-2kSkimmer_jpgA.jpg

if you hold it up to the light you should be able to see the light penetrate it in spots...some are thin and not spungy and you wont see any lgiht penetration through it...you should be able to press it between ur finger and thumb and it will squish in and coem back out kinda like a spung.

19. Ok.. Great idea.. BUT what about if u don't have any source of ventilation. Would this work if you were cycling the air back into the grow room. I have nosey room mates, and so far the smell isn't leaving the closet... But I've only got 3 plants in the veg state. At harvest time I will have 2 mothers, 6 clones, and 6 flowering. What would be best for my situation?

20. i believe it should work, its doing pretty much the same thing as long as u have a fan pushing air through the filter