How-To : LST (Low Stress Training)

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DierWolf, Nov 9, 2006.

1. How long does it usually take to veg the plant fully? Meaning tie it down from start to finish so you run out space to tie it down. How long total in veg?

How tall vertically do they usually get? I would assume no taller than 18" since it's all tied down, is this correct?

What is the average yield people see from these kinds of plants? Using HPS, Soil, and good genetics.

2. itll depend how long your plant vegs depending on pot size, Iv got 1 1ft deep by 1ft high by 2ft wide rectangular stackabox wit 3 plants. only done the first stage of LST on them and theyv been growin for a week now, i got them as clones though so they were already partialy grown, i reckon theyr gona need another weeks growth uninterrupted before i start them on nutes, got Iguana juice 3-1-3, its the shit apparently:)
    Wanted to ask, i forgot to top my plants before starting the first tie down, is it too late to top?

i was gona post pics but my camera is being weird and not letting me take the pics off it, il put em up when it starts workin!

3. shouldn't ever be 'too late' to top... as long as you give it a couple weeks of veg afterward so it can heal itself.

4. question for dier. i am getting the idea that plants respond well to some stress. when you scrog your not putting stress. until later than lst which you start putting stress almots right away. so my question. is lst faster veg than scrog. in other words, beginning to end, with the same yield, is lst faster.

5. hey... the thing about stress being good is late in flowering, Cannabis puts out resin as a counter-act of stress. So late in flowering... some growers say that they stress it and it creates more trichs/resin... i even read somewhere about putting a screw threw the main stem at the bottom..sounds crazy to me but i guess people do it???

another thing you may be thinking of is pinching the nodes during veg, known as super cropping, which creates stronger stems and nodes which in turn creates larger yields because the stems can produce/hold more.

i would think LST and SCROG would be relatively the same growth time. this LST method pretty much IS a scrog, just without the netting/caging above the plants.

6. i understand ez. good points. i guess stress is the wrong word .what i'm saying is that with lst you bend the plants sooner. than with scrog. because you dont turn scrog sideways until much later than lst. with scrog you bend them sideways after they grow to the screen. with lst you bend them sideways after 3rd node. i wonder weather bending sideways earlier makes ultimatly the process faster and more productive (lst over scrog).

7. after you hook the plant down, after each new set of growth, i.e. after each new set of fan leaves grows, you hook it down, you mention constantly to be tying down HORIZONALLY the branches, what do you mean horizontally? yeah yeah, i know what vertical and horizontal means, im just having trouble picturing this... tie them to what? should i poke/drill little holes at the very top of my 3-5 gallon bucket, and just loop some string through them, and then what? tie them to the branches?

thanks for this guide man, ive been reading some of your stuff, your really top notch!:wave:

8. my understanding is you just tie them down so they're laying flat all neat, to the pot/container. the only thing growing UP should be the bud spots - thats my understanding atleast

9. Drilling holes in around the top of the pot itself is a good way to go. You could set the whole pot in a milk crate or put something around the pot to give it something to tie to. (The advantage of tieing the plants directly to the pot is if you need to move the pot you're not "tied down", literally).

Then yes, you tie the other end to the top and banches to bring then down lower. You can use string, segments of a wire coat hanger, or anything that will hold the plant without cutting into it (don't use dental flss, for example). I like pipe cleaners because when you are adjusting your ties you don't have to mess around with untieing ad re-tieing knots.

After being tied down, the free end of each top or branch will turn back up towards the light. As that gets higher you can re-tie the whole thing to keep it low.

10. can some1 plz answer this?

approx how long does it take in veg and how much yield do you get

i know it varies but just an estimate... 1 sq ft pots/containers

wowww nobody can answer this question, 2nd time ive asked. this forum is dead

11. Many thanks DierWolf looking forward to getting " Green Fingers".:hello:

12. The forum isn't dead, there are just too many factors with too much variability to answer your question. Some folks veg for 3 weeks, others for 10 or more. Some grow in cut-off half-litre soda bottles and others in 10-gallon drums. Some use a little light and others use a lot. Nutes, pH, temps, techniques...oh, and genetics -- these all play major roles as well.

If you veg for 6+ weeks with your final pots being at least 3 gallons and give lots of HID light (or lots of sun) then you could get several ounces dry yield per plant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. This is an absolutely fantastic tutorial! :)

Using this method looks fun and easy.:smoking:

Thanx for sharing with all us newbies!:eek:

14. this has totally confirmed my intuition to train the plant in a nother way.... What I was thinkin to do was have a wire in the shape of a dna strand, best way to describe the spiral, so basically have a rising circle motion up to about 4 feet.. anyone think this would work? I would also use light positioning to try and pull the grow in the right direction ... hmmmmmmm..

15. It's my 1st grow from bagseed. They are about 12 days old. The plants look heavily Indica inlfuenced and are short and wide. The space on the main stem between leafsets is rather short, compared to other pics I've seen. Should I wait for a particular height before trying to bend it? I will try and post pics.

16. So this will also make the final plants shorter I'm guessing? Smaller and more dense? :).

17. WOW this is amazing. That plant in your sig is 5 weeks old? o.o I have read about training tops of plants into S shapes (Ed Rosenthal) but this... its cool. Got a 3 week old plant just starting its 4th set of leafs (Bagseed, from an amazing strain) and i am definatly gonna try this. Another question, do you have any tutorials on cloning? I would like to turn her into a mother as well =) (god i hope)

18. this is prolly a stupid question but im a bit confused... i have some speed queen seeds and wanna lst the plants but does it change the way regular plants grow and flower at the "new tops"? in previous grows, the plants only flowered along the main stem and i wanna get as much information before i plant the new crop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Great post! Has anyone any photos of this in action because the one on the signature doesnt work.. Anyone know if this would work on lowryder?

20. can LST be done with any strain?