Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to identify sativa and indica from the bud.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by AdamStoner308, Oct 12, 2011.

1. I know how to identify indicas and sativas by the actual plant, but how do you figure it out just by looking at the bud? I'm not new to the smoking, just this kind of thing :p But I'm really looking for solid identifiers that'll let me know.

2. Anyone wanna hook me up with some tips? I'm buying before a big ass party and don't wanna pass the fuck out after like a joint...

3. Smoke some of it before you buy it. If that isn't an option a rule of thumb is sativas are generally more fluffy and smell more fruity while indicas are denser and smell more skunky.

4. #4 bp4er, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    Sativa's are lighter in color and more fruity in smell, whereas Indica's are darker in color and smell more skunky. Indica's a smaller rounder denser nugs, sativa's are longer thinner fluffier, but can be dense. look at the hairs- if lighter in color like tan/white/yellow then its gona be a sativa high, if darker like dark orange/red/dark redish brownish gona be indica high.

Edit: and if it's bright orange, typically a intense sativa dom hybrid high.

that's how it's been in my experience.

5. :confused: Don't think you can do that and get a legitimate answer.
    :smoke:

6. whaat? worst advice ever. Dont think you can tell when it's in bud form. Ask your dealer maybe if knows, I know its a long shot that he will but its worth a try.

7. I mean, I feel like indicas have denser buds, and are darker, but I honestly don't know :p

8. That's what I feel like too, from my experience. I just don't want to expect this awesome heady high and get mad couchlock at a show :p

9. I know you can't tell by the bud alone, but they do have certain characteristics that point toward one or the other as I mentioned. That is why you should smoke it before you buy it if you're concerned about which kind you are getting. I personally enjoy both so it doesn't really matter to me:smoke:

10. I usually am able to figure it out by what people call it
    kush=indica
    haze=sativa
    purp=indica (even though color is based on grow conditions and genetics but w/e, that's how it seems)
    Just trends I've seen
    But if I have the option to smoke it, I DEFINITELY will! I just don't always have that luxury :p

11. GENERALLY, and from my experience, with execptions, I would say sativa colas tend to me long and skinny, with dense formations and tight crows. With pure indicas, the buds tent to be more round or egg shaped, ften times with a longer "leafier" bud structure.

and a indica
    [​IMG]

and a sativa
    [​IMG]

12. Yea but most people that say its this or its that usually it isn't. I mean you probably know some cool people who are legit but most of us deal with assholes who want to make money.

13. Smoking is an easy way to tell, but hybrids will easily stump you. If it makes you couch-locked, it is most likely indica. If it energizes you, it is most likely sativa.

14. thats why i fuck with the hybrids so i dont have to know :p

15. Oh yeah I totally get that. That's why I usually just am like "yo I need chronic" because it's not some cool sounding load of shit :p

16. This is DEFINITELY looking like the most promising way to identify. Now that I think of it, this kind of represents what I've seen compared to how the high is. +rep

17. [quote name='"thaSPACEkadet"']

whaat? worst advice ever. Dont think you can tell when it's in bud form. Ask your dealer maybe if knows, I know its a long shot that he will but its worth a try.[/quote]

Actually he's right...

18. i like to treat my herb like a game..i buy a bag and pack a few bowls if i wake up on the couch i know what i got.

and that pic of the sativa up there looks like shit...someone needs to learn how to trim.

19. Smoke it.

20. actually those are generally pretty good. theres always exceptions, and you won't always be right if you're judging by that stuff, but i've been right pretty much every time when i guess what it is by looking then smoke it to find out. theres not really one characteristic you can look for but like, a general appearance