How to grow purple buds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ego-_-death, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, I'm new arround here, I'm now taking care of 2 little plants and I need some of your help. I've seen this photo, and I'm just wondering how to grow my plants like this one:

[​IMG]

I've read some forums before and some of them tell that you can just get this result with some type of strains, others say that you need to put something on the water?
    Can anyone tell me how to do it, or just give me a link with some "tutorial"?
    Thank you,
    Peace!

2. Purple comes through genetics or cold temps.

3. When a plant turns purple it is either because of genetic factors, cold temperatures during flowering, or a combination of both. There isn't a whole lot you can do to grow purple bud, other than select a strain that is known for producing the desired trait.

And just because a bud is purple doesn't mean it is more potent than a green bud.

This is an excerpt of an article written by Subcool:
    "By this point, I had become convinced that potency and purple pot were not necessarily related. I stopped being so impressed with purple weed and started preaching that purple was just a color and not an indication of quality in any form other than looks."

4. grow purple haze

5. Every post above me has the info you need.

Purple flowers will show up through genetics, if you're stressing it (through cold temps) to go purple you are doing it wrong and will be hurting your yeild and potency.

6. what about the blue ones like this:

only genetics, or some treatment like cold temps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lol..... those only look blue because of the flash from that persons camera.

the poster above is right, purple only comes from 2 things, GENETICS & COLD TEMPS. not even cold temps will bring out purple hues in most plants. the color has to come from somewhere in the genetic history of that strain

8. #8 Berry, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
    Like the posters said before, Purple tones come out based on Genetics or Low Temperatures during flowering, or a Combination of the two. You can have a strain that is supposed to have purple tones, but the temps didn't get low enough for them to come out, and some will turn purple without much temperature change.

Does anybody know the particular pigment that causes the purple color, blue-purple pigments are normally anthocyanin, which changes color in response to pH. Anthocyanin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: I found this Hightimes article where they say that the pigment that causes the purple color is indeed Anthocyanin http://hightimes.com/grow/nebu/378

Anthocyanin is supposed to be the most Purple at ~7pH so maybe some pH adjusting in the last weeks of flowering could cause the color to come out more.

9. My brother picked up some purple haze recently, but it wasn't purple. He told me then what everyone here is saying now: weed turns purple because of temperature, not just genetics. If that's the truth, then why do certain strains, in our case purple haze, have purple in the name?

10. Because there is purple somewhere in the genetics. You probably didn't have actual Purple Haze though. Even if you did there is still a possibility that it was just a phenotype that never picked up the purple gene from it's mother and father.

11. It's true that color has no indication of the quality , but it does give them a certain appeal making them look special :)

12. they are literally the best buds i have ever seen in my life :O

13. if thats so....... then you need to grow some more

14. ^The person who grew that was on ICMag, I wonder if it's the same guy or just someone starving for attention...

15. Holy holy hell thats insane.