How to get started in careers for the future?

Discussion in 'General' started by Shipwreck, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I recently watched this documentary called "Future By Design" basically it's a movie chronicling the life of Jacque Fresco and some of his inventions to make life better and more improved for all humanity.

I never knew what I really wanted to do until I watched this movie, it sort of put my mind on a little bit straighter and made me really think.
    In the movie Jacque Fresco says that currently we do meaningless jobs that in the past have been taken over by our technology, an example is the cash register. Jacque states (For an example) that we don't do simple mathematics anymore because our technology did it for us. Jacque believes that we should be implementing our technology more into society and focus more on development and change.

Now my question is what kind of jobs/classes deal with the same type of things that he does?

2. What? Inventing?

I would suggest getting an engineering degree

3. Are there different fields of inventing?
    Do they have a class for this?

4. If you are interested in only the inventing aspect, engineering.. But it sounds more like this guy is an entrepreneur if there is a movie about him and stuff. haha

5. #5 Shipwreck, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
    He really is a genius.
    The movie is on Netflix.

Damn a lot of his inventions and theories just make so much more sense.
    You should really watch the documentary if you can, it will really make you think.

The problem with engineering for me is I am TERRIBLE at math, I fear that even if I tried as hard as I could I just couldn't understand it due to the mathematics portion.

6. This movie is in my queue, so now I have to watch it! I got to ask, when was the last time you took math? I was freaking out about math and looked specifically for majors without math classes. However, I realized that I wouldn't be happy with some almost random major and what I really wanted was worth a little bit of struggle. Now I'm finished with all the required math classes for my undergrad and it was way less difficult than I imagined. It was still hard, but worth it in the long run. So I would suggest talking with an academic or career counselor. And don't let fear or insecurity hold you back! At least get started with pre-reqs and you can always make changes as you go.

7. #7 Shipwreck, Jun 9, 2011
    I'm now 23 and the last time I took math was when I was 17 lol.
    The last math that I got to was Algebra 1.

Seriously, I just don't understand math.
    It's hard for me to remember steps to get to the answer since my brain can't seem to differentiate steps from one another.

The movie is seriously ingenious, I really think that Jacque should be president to make change lol.

An example for one thing that he said was "Tonado shelters should be formed like an inverted cone because no structural damage will be possible with the design."
    Something ingenious but not implemented, why not?

8. I agree with the others, engineering is the most relevant to something like this. However, whichever type of engineering you want to do, there's going to be a lot of difficult math involved. If you haven't gone to any college yet, you're going to have to take some basic math anyway, usually up to at least College Algebra. Doing that will let you know if the math will be too tough for you.

If it turns out that engineering isn't your thing, or the math turns you off from it, I would suggest taking a hard look at what it is about engineering and invention that draws you to it, and look for careers paths that are similar. For instance, I think engineering is cool, but I just like building shit. So I'd go to school for woodworking, metal machining or prop building for movies.

9. Is there a field that specializes in research and development of "things?"

I tried looking it up but I can't seem to find anything on it.

10. That's pretty much what engineering is, but there are tons of different kinds of it. Mechanical, environmental, structural, automotive, etc, etc,.

11. The thing that I realized then is that if engineering is what it actually is, then it seems like we're doing something wrong.

I know that we have ingenious ideas in this world but aren't implemented which kinda makes me sad.

12. I just started a job this week that is like 500 peoples' career.

You don't even need a degree. Just a get a job and work your way up the corporate ladder

13. What kind of career did you get into?

14. Technology is quickly assimilating itself with society across the globe. As this integration continues and advances jobs that did not exist even 10 years ago will be needed to sustain humanities ability to cope with rapid change. Computer use is going to be absolutely necessary as technology advances, which, it's beginning to increase to an exponential rate. I personally want to get into a renewable energy technology career. Oil won't be around forever, neither will the earth if we keep burning up co2. Burn herb not oil!:smoke:

15. #15 Philosiraptor, Jun 9, 2011
    Building fine automobiles. I don't consider it my career though, I'm too immature for that.

I think if you got any job at an internationally known company you could work your way up to where you want to be. Its got to be a company that employs a lot of people. That might involve some schooling but some companies will help you with that.

An example, would be working for 3M. You could get an entry level job and they could possibly train you into whatever you want to be.

16. I thought it would be ingenious to get into something that dealt with creating for the future.

There is a limitless expanse of inventions in this world that have yet to come.