How to get rid of social anxiety?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Guitar Guy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. So I just so happen to have social anxiety. Bad. Like when I was younger I would have other people talk for me because I was too afraid/shy to. And I need a way to get rid of it because it really fuckig sucks.

I know people say "just randomly talk to people and you will get over it". Well I can't do this, especially if it's someone I don't know but I'm around a lot (classmates)

I heard some people say MDMA will help my problems. Don't wanna get myself into any opiates so no thanks. Too addictive.

Basically I just need to get over it so I can start having relationships again. The only girlfriends I've had are ones that talked to me first, so I never got to really pick my girlfriends. On this valentines day I will have been single for a year, and my god it really sucks.

Like last week a really hot college chick came into my class and this kid just starts talking to her. He did it so smoothly it almost seemed rehearsed, and I believed he was Jesus for a minute. I just want to be able to do this, just randomly talk to people and not stutter or mumble or turn red or get sweaty.

Also I'm not that bad looking at all, albeit a tad bit skinny ( 5'10" 130 lbs). Working on my weight though

2. so, I once had this realization that the universe is so big with so much going on that my little problems and anxieties are really unimportant and not worth worrying about.

don't know if that helps.

also, don't try to be cool. know this sounds un-original, but be yourself. Don't be afraid to be a little weird. maybe make fun of yourself a little...idk...works fine for me cuz I know I'm cool as fuck.

I don't get laid that often, so I'm maybe not the best person to ask... but sometimes it works out really well for me, and I see it only getting better.

btw....girls used to always choose me, too. I never used to pursue women and such.

3. [​IMG]

Sorry I just thought that was hella funny :smoke:

Can't really add much to the thread cuz I suck at talking to new people too. I always feel retarded, I'm a dork lol

4. [​IMG]

5. #5 Mfia, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
    Just gotta be yourself man. Like really, enjoy who you are and people will enjoy you too.
    And honestly, you will never actually get rid of social anxiety, it will always be there in the back of your mind..

Just take one step at a time, its going to be a process for a long time, it's not just going to change overnight and there is no quick fix (that i know of anyway).

Ask a random person what the time is, that's a good place to start, and keep asking random questions to random people around you, eventually, things will come naturally and the anxiety will get less and less!

Also, i know it sounds kind of silly, but give yourself pep talks and try to boost your confidence before you go out somewhere, like telling yourself that you look good,that your awesome and people like you! (even if you can't name reasons for why they do)

hope this helps man..

6. Pound back 5 shots before you head out to any public places:D

But srlsy, no substance is going to help you in the long run.

7. So I pretty much had this too. I wouldn't really talk to anyone. But recently I forced myself to talk to this girl and now shes my girlfriend and things are going great. And the thing is. If you force yourself to do it , and once it's happening you forget about everything if you really like the girl. Also it boosts up your self esteem and confidence now I'm not nearly as shy as I was before. And I actually feel good about myself, I feel good to be me. Trust me man I know it's hard. Before I was so bad I couldnt even make eye contact with ppl.

8. dude im kinda the same way. it will always be there. its who u are love it. and also i recommend the book The 5 Agreements. should be at any bookstore. THat booked changed my life around in 1 month. SEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIRIOUUUOUOUOUOOUOUOSly that book will change your fuckin life i swear.

9. Strangely enough I only get social anxiety if I lock myself up in my house for several days and become a hermit. I look like a vampire, pale and shit.

I act around people. I have no doubts about it. Maybe one day I can stop acting:smoke:

10. I saw that book in Barnes and Noble and lost the title dude you are seriously TITS!!!

Thanks for reminding me the title dude, I knew it was 4 and 5 something but yeah it's it. Thank you.

11. I use to have social anxiety bad. What I did was just work on my confidence. Like I would do everything I could to be more confident in myself ie. working out, going out more. Once my confidence was up I found my social anxiety wasn't nearly as big an issue. I still get it some times but not nearly as bad.

12. I have it too, really bad. Yo can wither get on antidepressants, xanax, or, like me, just learn not to care. Ignore it. Convince yourself that "It's not that bad, everything will be ok..." and just get on with it. It's hard, but it works. (taking a hit also helps, but if you're too high it makes you paanoid and have worse social anxiety.)

13. Think of how big space is. Think of how short ur life is. Of how small you are.

Does it really matter if you get embarrassed? You're life is going to end anyways and you're not going to enjoy it unless you do what you want to.

and remember....there is NEVER going to be an opportunity EXCTLY like the one you pass. so stop passing stuff up

14. This should be a legit quote, fucking beautiful man.

I realized that my social anxiety is only worse around people that I'm interested in. For example today in class the kid I usually chill with wasn't there and I was about to go talk to the girl I'm interested in but instead I ended up hanging out with another girl (my friend) the whole class.

I guess I just can't think of the right words to say given a short time frame. I mean fuck, the other day I talked up a storm with this one chick where I used to work, but only cause she already has a boyfriend and is a bit too old for me anyways.

Maybe I could use the "hey want a piece of gum" trick, or "you have a pencil I can borrow". I don't know... :(

15. #15 Foreign Apples, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011

Just wing it man. If you don't start now, I hope you realize that you will never get less socially awk. Seriously tho - I had the same problem as you a couple years ago. I made goals and took baby steps to talk to people. That's what you need to start with - make an effort towards self-impovement. Stop being so self-conscious. People aren't as vicious and judgemntas as u think