How to connect ducting?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Kysmoker, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Me and a friend are setting up a 10 x 10 grow room, right now theres only going to be one 2 ft x 4 ft aquamist system in it, the reason we chose such a large room is because we plan on adding to it in the future. Anyway, the room only has one spot where we can run exhaust to the outside. Were gona have that hooked up to an exhaust fan that will be pulling air out, but we also planned on air cooling our light. How can we connect the exhaust from the light to the rooms exhaust? Like, is there a "T" connector for soft ducting or will we have to rig it?

2. You have a cool tube?? If so, get a good fan and pull the air through the carbon filter then through the cooltube and out the tent.

carbon filter ----> cooltube ----> fan ---->exhaust port

----> represents the ducting, fwiw.

edit: for a room that big you may be better off separating the functions. My space is much smaller, and I think if I was growing in a room that big I would designate a separate fan to cool the light.

3. I never considered just running it all through one line of ducting, could you mount a carbon filter higher up? So its pulling out hot air. Also, what about in the future when we add more systems/lights?

EDIT: I think its a cool tube, just a light with holes in each side of the hood, and glass on the bottom =P

4. What are you using for lighting? For example, if you were running two 400w hps to start I would probably duct the two using 4" ducting...maybe 6"

light ----> fan ----> light or light ----> light ----> fan

Then I would have a larger fan with can filter at the top of the grow room for exhaust. Not sure what size would be required for that room, but probably something like an 8" fan.

Personally, I have a 400w hps and my structure is as follows

light ----> fan ----> filter

Ideally I would like it to be filter ----> light ----> fan but it isn't feasible with the space I have to work with.

edit: If you're just running one light to begin with then the system I use could work. It isn't best from an airflow stand point but it still gets the job done.

5. Were gona be using 1 600 watt light, but plan on adding one for each aquamist system we eventually put in.

Problem is we have to run our exhaust through a small hole to get it outside, the hole is maybe one foot by 6 inches.

6. You're probably best off separating the two functions (cooling/exhaust). You may also want to consider creating seperate veg and flower areas within the room to create a perpetual grow. Can you modify your exhaust hole at all?

7. Its concrete =P (Basement grow). We could but id be hard as hell lol.

8. haha, shit. I'm sure that hole size would work, but it will likely require some tinkering with the ducting.

Well, this is what I would do if I was in your situation:

For only one light I would get a can filter that is ducted to your 600w hps than duct the light to the fan. The fan would pull air through the filter and across the light then push it out of your space.

As you grow the operation and add more lights I would create a partition to separate a flower and veg space to allow for a perpetual grow. That way you could harvest every month or so. I would also separate the cooling and exhaust function at that point, too.

9. You can buy hot water heater straps at any hardware store, and they work great for hanging heavy carbon filters from the celing.

First locate the studs, then screw two 20"-24" 2"X4" boards into the studs (this makes a much easier surface to work with for mountinmg the filter).

Just run the duct from the filter to your reflector, reflector to fan, and fan to exhaust vent (a 6" hydrofarm or sunlight supply reflector vent makes a clean wall-flange, and they can be found for less than $10).

I suggest using lag bolts to fasten the hot water heater straps to the celing braces because those filters are pretty heavy, and a hex head is much easier to screw in with your arms above your shoulders. Also in 6 months when you take it down to replace the carbon the lag bolts won't strip out like a phillips head when you back them off.

10. As far as adding lights goes, you just have to have the correct amount of cfm (length of duct and number of lights affects a fan's efficiency). Home depot has R6 covered duct for cheap (my 6"X25' was $25.00), and I would suggest using that because the exhaust from the light is HOT and the duct loses a lot of heat back into the grow room if it's not insulated.

In your 10'X10' room you can easily accomodate four 600w lamps over four 3'X3' tables. With 6" insulated duct and the average size vented reflector you would need at least a high output 8" fan pulling 700+cfm. Run the shortest amount of duct posible between points, and no crazy bends in the duct and you should be good.

If you are using CO2 you may consider running the duct through the lights in and out of the room bypassing the filter and not affecting the air in the room at all. Use a second fan pulling air through a filter to scrub the smell, and an in-room or a window mount AC unit to keep it at 75 degrees. CGE: closed grow environment.

11. I dont plan on messing with CO2 =) It just seems more trouble than its worth to me.

12. CO2 is pretty easy once the initial investment is spent. It will make your plants grow faster and heavier, and you can time a solenoid to cut the flow when an exhaust fan comes on, and at night. You can get the expensive CO2 PPM guage later (with the money you save from not spending dough on weed). I just found a brand new aluminum 20# CO2 tank on craigslist for $70, and I talked the guy into $55. Deals are out there!

13. They make T's and Y's. You want a Y. It looks like a Y. Home Depot sells them. Did you bother to check? Obviously not. It is right there in the ducting aisle.

Or go to an HVAC wholesale shop.

NEXT!

14. I would personally tell this condescending fuckhole to suck anal beads. "did you bother to check? Obviously not"... okay dickhead.

15. #15 LAKush, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
    If you can't figure out how to get a fucking Y or make one from sheet metal...maybe you need to get an EDUCATION. Yes I am condescending and I have every right to be. We don't need more stupid people in America, we have plenty. We need people to think for themselves. If this person can't check two fucking feet from the ducting for the Y connector...what will the next fucking question be?

Hey, I need to put my soil in something. Do they have a container for putting soil in? What would that be called? Does anybody know what to put my soil in? YES FUCKWAD it is called a POT, the same name as the shit you SMOKE, only different. Or how about a BUCKET.

I'm tired of these stupid lame fucking posts around here and I'm going to let it be known. I however did answer the question but it was really stupid.

A better question would be "Blades, where would you suggest I buy a connector to connect two vent ducts into one?" and my answer would have been "an HVAC wholesale shop".

NEXT!

[Get your point across without the disrespect. -FW]

16. #16 LBH, Jan 23, 2010

Geez, God help anyone who's not up to your standards!! lol

Not everybody has/had teachers dude, lighten up. Fortunately for me, I did, but they also taught me to show a little compassion those who didn't. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, educate him or keep your opinions on other peoples intelligence to yourself.

And if the "stupid" posts bother you so much, don't read them. You criticize people because they aren't as smart as you but are annoyed at all the people looking to learn. Gotta be a word for that but I can't think of it right now.

17. #17 cardinal, Jan 23, 2010
    Wow. What a stupid wanker. Go take your medication.
    By the way, he's trying to get an EDUCATION. He's trying to get it here, on this forum from others that have more knowledge on this subject than he does. You knob.

[Get your point across without the name calling. -FW]

18. I'll help you LBH, its ASSHOLE.

19. Hypocrite? no,...that's not it.......

20. #20 Joe Luxon, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

It's called having "double standards", theres no term for someone who has double standards tho, most people just call them Assholes.

OP: get a "Y" connector, not a "T" connector, the Y connector will allow for greater airflow.