How to: Cheap, Easy, Efficient - DIY Carbon Scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nugglord_420, Oct 13, 2008.

1. #61 CFLweasel, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    nice work nugglord. good and simple. i'd make one but i made this one last year http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-faqs/99371-diy-how-carbon-filter.html
    Sorry to link elsewhere- I'll agree it's poor form but i only knew about this because i used to be a member over there. that is until i found grasscity :) ppl here are much more friendly, just as knowledgeable, and the server here is faster! again sorry 2 link elsewhere but is worth checking out...

NOTE: the link isn't dead, they're doing server maintenance- keep checking and it'll be back up...

CHEERS

2. hows that scrubber working till this day?

3. Damn mate, you've got me sold on this... will make one or two when it comes time. Cheers!

4. Carbon started to wear off at about 2 months. Replaced carbon. Good as new.

:wave:

5. haha nicee...im planning to grow like 4-6 plants in a grow tent, u think itll completely kill the mj smell?

6. May I ask how large the grow tent is?

And also how much air can you push through? (CFMs)

7. the tent is 2'8" x 2'8" x 5'3" and the fan pushes around 250cfm

8. Oh yeah man, you'll be fine for smell.

Happy growing!

9. haha sweeet!!!

10. aha Im making this tomorrow. thanks for this awesome guid.

11. I am making one tonight as well. Wish me luck :D

12. How'd that turn out man?

13. Hey thanks for checking in with me :D

Actually, I ended up purchasing some supplies of the wrong size (that are custom for my exhaust setup ) so I did not get the Carbon Filter constructed yet. I was out for the weekend, so I will be making it some time this week. I brought parts to return with me today, just have to hit up the hardware store to get back on the right path.

I will definitely let you know how it turns out! I will try to get pictures as well :cool:

14. Awesome, looking forward to em. :)

15. Ta da! :D

I finally accumulated all of the parts required and had the opportunity to construct the carbon filter that I will be using for odor control for this grow. My last carbon filter worked "okay," but in the end it didn't withstand the pungent skunk blast my single plant was delivering. This design seems much better, and I am thrilled with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't wetted or added the carbon yet. I decided to take my own advice (for once) and have an odor control solution completed well in advance of the actual need for one. I learned that lesson the hard way in my last grow. I probably won't have to implement this for another month and a half or so. I figure there is no reason to waste the expensive activated carbon I decided to go with :D

I want to say THANK YOU to nugglord_420 for putting this writeup together. Although I haven't actually got to test it's effectiveness, the design is obviously a major improvement over my first attempt! It was super-easy to make, cost me less then $20 ($11 of which was expensive activated carbon I purchased instead of the cheap stuff). I had several of the parts just lying around. Also, I love the idea of using actual activated carbon, instead of the activated carbon air filters.

I will let you know how it works once I get it into service during flowering (another month and a half or so).

...oh and the pineapple juice was delicious :D

16. Nice dude! :hello:

You only really need to fill that carbon up a couple inches or so, so that container should last you a little while.

Also make sure you've got a fan that will push through the carbon, preferably over 80 cfms.

Looks like you're golden dude, happy growing!

17. Right on, thanks again!

The fans are each 80cfm, so 160cfm total. It never occured to me before, but now that I am pushing through actual carbon instead of just an air filter, I hope they will keep up! I guess if worse comes to worse I can always upgrade to bigger fans. Hopefully I won't have worry about that though. We'll see!

Thanks again! :D

18. Oh yeah, that should work just fine. :)

19. Great tutorial. I'll be making one in the next month or so. I'm going to throw some ideas out here to get feedback on hope you dont mind.

What about coffee filters? Put some activated carbon in the filter then set another filter on top and glue them together, shove it in the can, assuming the sizes are right that the sizes are right that it fits tightly.

Same idea except with cheese cloth or pantyhose too. It keeps the carbon contained so after you make them changing them out every 2 months is easy.

My goal is to make it without having to buy anything but the carbon. When I do it I will get back to you. lol

20. Mine uses aluminum screen and pantyhose.

I tried pantyhose alone once, but the carbon just ends up sagging out the bottom. The aluminum screen is to keep it's shape.

All in all, 20 bucks to save your ass from the neighbors is a pretty good deal.