How To Breed Female Seeds

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by overgrowray, Aug 31, 2003.

1. um no i dont grow in underground railcars :)
    i grow in my basement like all good botanist that grow weed.

and i love this thread...been keepin my mouth shut just to see what ya'll have to say.

phenotype is subset of characteristic within a grouping. meaning people have blue eyes and some have brown but both still humans. some phenotypes in weed might be super trichromes or fast grower or small fat leaves, etc.
    when u breed for seed...yes u want to have certain phenotypes that u are looking for.
    for me im looking for not so potant that i fall over and taste and smells wonderful.

as to fem seeds, i think ya'll covered it.
    but would like to make sure some facts are noted.

first...a seed is either male or female from conception. that is not changed with environment, period. u can f*ck a seed up while its forming by introducing hormones...but that isnt the same. just like u can pump hormones into a guy but deep down...he is still a guy. he started a guy and will end a guy, tho he has female organs. u can also fuck up a plant by adding female hormones but frankly that scares me :)

second...yes u can screw with mom and dad to produce female pollen or eggs. gibberellic acid i think is the standard practice.

third...MJ is in a group of plants that is monecious. this means that its either guy or gal. that group certainly can produce reverse organs...no one knows really how that is triggered but it happens all the time. prob has to do with amount of specific hormones triggering mechanisms that allow the group to move forward by producing seed. givin that...if females that produce a few male flowers only produce female seeds...well that really doesnt help the group out over the long haul. in the end...u still need males and females. my guess is that there is hi % that is female but still u are gonna have to have a few males with male genes in the group...that's how it works.

my guess is that most seed produces just use gibberellic acid to screw up mom and dad so they only produce female gammies thus only producing females.

4th...clones only last so long...gotta have seeds in the long run. MJ is an annual after all.

i think that about does it.

2. by the way...i totally agree with uniot. why f*ck around...just take ur chances and deal with clean lines.

i will never ever buy or grow feminized seeds.

3. I must disagree with your theory that a seed is male or female from seed. You can influence teh sex of the plant by its environment. I haev only doen one grow but it had 3 plants and 2 odf them were female and i used the meathod of just having a good early veg with blue lights, cool temps, low humidity and high airflow. Now this is no where near scientific proof but from what ive heard and experienced it works. I will be growing and sexing 5 strains 3-4 of each strain and i will record my outcomes with make /female ratios. And continue to do so while i continue to grow and breed plants. then i will make a shitty setup with red ligts hot temps ect and see what happens in there using the same strains.

4. im gonna cross skunk with purple power and call it spunk.

i think froggy is half right about a seed being male or female. i dont think its in the seed but the seedling tho. im a firm beliver that a seedling desides in the 1st few days if its gonna b male or female and as soon as thats done its set, apart from the odd herme that is. no1 really knows 4 a fact tho so thaats just my thoughts on it.

5. for you guys with dial up or lazyness here is the heart of the thread i got my intel from. And there was aonther thread too but i cant find it. Here is the link http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?s=&threadid=318667&highlight=sex+influencing

The quantity of nitrogen and potassium of the seedbed.
    Humidity and moistness of the seedbed.
    Level of temperatures.
    Colour of the light used.
    Length of daylight.
    Stress, any form of stress, makes that more male individuals will originate from seed. Even the taking of cuttings from female plants may produce male or hermaphrodite cuttings.
    To optimise the result, changes in one or more of the above-mentioned environmental factors for a certain period during growth, may be applied. During this time these environmental factors will deviate from the standard growing system for maximum harvest and quality, as described in nursery literature. The desired change(s) in the environmental factor(s) are started from the moment that the seedling has three pairs of real leaves (not counting the seed-lobes). This is the moment that male and/or female predisposition in florescence is being formed. After approximately two weeks the standard growing system can be reconverted to.
    Of the 5 above-mentioned environmental factors the first three are the most practical:

1. Level of nitrogen and potassium of the seedbed: A heightening of the standard level of nitrogen makes for more female plants originating from the seeds. A lowering of the nitrogen level shows more male plants. A heightening of the level of potassium tends to show more male plants, while a lowering of the potassium level shows more female plants. A combination of a higher nitrogen level for the period of a week or two and a lowering of the potassium level is recommended.
    2. Humidity and moistness of the seedbed: a higher humidity makes for an increase in the number of female plants from seed, a lowering for an increase in male plants. The same is valid for the moistness of the seedbed.
    3. Level of temperatures: lower temperatures make for a larger number of female plants, higher temperatures for more male plants.
    4. Colour of light: more blue light makes for female plants from seed, more red light makes for more male plants.
    5. Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male plants.

6. ther is some growers on another sight (cant remembea wot 1) doing side by side tests starting seeds some under 12/12 4 2 weeks then going to 18/6 and some under 18/6 all the time to c if it affects male/fem numbers. results shud b in soon. so i think gr0wers point about daylength is prob right. also colour of light, N/P levels, quality of the seedbed its started in, and defanatly stress.

7. HIGH All, yes I too agree that if enough stressed is introduced to a clone it too will turn Hermie.

gr0wer yes we've done some dabbaling and our latest creation is White Widow Crystal+ X our White Bud (WWC+ X WB) it's in the Picture forum.

BTW a good read people.

8. i seed is born male or female...period

u can influence what sex organs it produces but the fact of the matter is that a seed is born xx or xy.

i can turn my dingdong into a pussy but deep down...im still a dingdong :)

9. if u can influence what sex organs it produces then surely thats all that matters. if u can get female plants from male seeds by messin with lights and ferts and fill ur grow with fems who cares wot the seed was?