How Tall/When to ‘Trans-pot’ the Sprouts?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by defend_something, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Hey Guys,
    I got this $70 ‘All year Herb garden(er)?’ at Wal-Mart (sold exclusively there, I don’t know, nor care, honestly.. if that makes a difference. This is not my FIRST time attempting to grow pot, just writing in an open forum about it and asking for assistance so I guess the specifics are important (though I suppose not where ya bought it). Anyway.. the seeds are random names I gave them (and say weird shit, hence the spelling is fucked) so don’t pay attention to that in the photo: or much of all of this first paragraph, as I tend to be long winded. I apologize, guys! First post jitters!

Christ, could she talk any more? ***

9 Little sproutlets- the tallest is roughly 3.5” and the smallest (hardiest) is I think 3”. There’s a little guy that just popped up yesterday that’s an 1”. Also, there are two rows that didn’t sprout at all and each grow pod had (at least) 2 seeds/pod.
    Question: how tall or when do I take them out of their pod homes and transfer them into a 5gal bucket or pot or whatever. I know I’m being a little ignorant about it but they aren’t my medical seeds so I’m not too worried. I do want to learn the process and whatever I can though, and don’t wanna spend a shit load of $$ doing it. Thanks!

Defend_Something

Attached Files:

2. i would say they are good to move now, especially the ones closer together dont want roots tangling up. welcome to GC

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome to the City

Do it now.

[​IMG]

Or let them get bigger. :)
    I start in a 3x3x3 inch square cup (square promotes better root branching) IME. This will see me through the first half of veg about 5 weeks
    Transplant to a 5x5x7 inch for the 2nd half of veg.
    Transplanted again at 10 weeks (end of veg) to an in ground site outside to flower.

Tight compacted root ball will stay intact and not a root gets knocked out of place and I never shock them. Cannabis really hates having it roots messed with.

How I get it done on the Brass Pharm.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yes transplant now, but I wouldn't recommend going right to a 5 gallon. For new(er) growers, its easy to overwater in a pot that big. Starting with smaller pots and potting-up as needed makes it harder to overwater.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pot them as soon as they are growing their first leaves.
    I don’t start seeds that way. I fold up a paper towel a few times so it is a few layers thick. Wet it throughly. Squeegee it between your fingers to get excess water out. Open one fold and place your seeds about a half inch below the fold and refold it along the same fold. Cover the folded towel with aluminum foil folded over it with the edges folded over too to keep it dark and moist. Put it standing up on edge with the fold at the top. The sprout will grow straight down following gravity. In two days check it. It may be ready to pot but will probably take a little longer. When it is ready it will have grown a root a couple of inches long and shed the seed hull. Be careful not to damage the sprout if it has grown into the towel. If it has, carefully tear the towel away from it. You can leave a little bit of towel on the root. Usually though it is easily removed by holding it right below the top. Hold it in a pot with soil up to the root and carefully fill soil around the sprout right up to just below the leaves/ cotyledon. Water it thoroughly. This is the best way of starting seeds I have found and it works almost flawlessly for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you all for the info! My next issue will be after transplanting what or where to store them. I had a beautiful 5” Purple Haze started last year and the goddamn cat ate it.. another time I thought I’d move temptation away and put the sprouts in the attic and that seemed way too hot and they just died.. so there will be issues with light- as I said I’m not trying to spend beaucoup amounts of $ here.. though I understand if I want this to be successful, money will eventually have to be spent.

7. To control the environment properly and protect the plants, you really should invest in a tent. You can get a 4x4 tent for less than $100 on amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Definitely lights are the most important part of a grow. You can skimp on the majority of equipment and devise a way to work around not having good equipment. Lights on the other hand if you grow with a budget light expect budget cannabis. Meaning small yield light and airy buds. I know that may not be important now as it wasn't for me at one point in time. Until my first harvest and I had 12oz of shit weed that was so embarrassing I couldn't show anybody. Plus I realized having good weed is the same amount of work time and effort as growing shitty weed just need a good light. My advise is save until you can afford a quality light my mistake was thinking I could by a cheaper light and get the same outcome. I spent almost a grand on 4 lights over a year and a half time all equaling bad harvest slow growth low yields. Finally bought a Grower's choice light, guess the point is don't be like me and have to spend double save up and get quality the first time.

Horticultural lightning group
    Growers Choice
    Mars hydro FC Series

• Like Like x 1
  9. Right now Amazon is selling some LEDs for insanity low prices.

10. #10 defend_something, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Cool, thanks!