How often do you spray your plants with poison?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thebombhaha, Jul 14, 2018.

1. I have SNS 209, and a 1 Gallon Pump sprayer I bought. I'm about to start a run, and I just don't know how often I should spray these plants with it.

2. once every 3 days if you got mites, be sure the light is off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's gonna be my first run. Should I take that precaution? And do I leave the lights off for some time after I spray, or can I immediately turn them back on again?

4. if you don't have bugs don't spray. if you do spray the light needs to stay off until the plant is dry so it's best to do right when dark period starts. you have to cover every inch of the plant both top and bottom of leaves. the best way to keep bugs out of your grow space is to keep it as clean as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. like with then lions in africa

bugs will only attack a weak plant

find out why its weak

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NEVER! I don't like the idea of smoking poisons! :sick:

The "nastiest" thing I use on my plants is insecticidal soap, usually Dr Bronner's Peppermint Soap, which can be easily rinsed off the next day with plain water! No left-over residues to mess up my lungs or enjoyment! :GettingStoned:

How to Use Dr. Bronners As Insecticidal Soap (news - 2014)
    How to Use Dr. Bronners As Insecticidal Soap | Hunker

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I haven’t had to use it on my plants yet, but my wife makes a bug spray from peppermint oil, tea tree oil, dawn dish soap and water to dilute.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good on you! Too many novice growers don't think of the eventual consequences of smoking what they are spraying on their cannabis! And I don't spray unless I see a need (which is rarely).

Although I would use some Bronner's instead of the DAWN. Bronner's has no thickeners, colors, is all natural and made from "Fair Trade" items, and it is manufactured in the USA. It also comes in natural Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Orange scents. (And the label is a total trip!)

Granny :wave:

9. I think she just uses a drip or two so the soap smothers the insect as they can’t breathe with a bubble around their exoskeleton. She uses bronners too, at least for hand soap. She makes her own out of Castile soap too. She’s a little hippie with all her oils, extracts, and potions.

10. This might be a stupid question, but lets say I don't usually have bugs at all. What are the signs to use the spray?

11. Only when you see bugs.

Get some yellow sticky traps and put a few around the room and at least one in one of your pots. Tehy usually come with little plastic holders fro sticking in the dirt. That way you will have warning that there are flying bugs around. Then you can Google them and make sure what kid of bug you're dealing with then find the best way to eradicate them safely. Common pests that fly are Fungus Gnats and Whiteflies.

Look for spots on your leaves and if you see any use a magnifying glass to hunt for bugs like mites or thrips especially under the leaves. Mites leave little white/yellow spots randomly all over a leaf and it only takes one to make about 40 spots per day. Thrips eat more methodically and and you will find tiny windows in the the leaves where they have need feeding. Shiny/wet looking when fresh. Regular soap sprays work well to get rid of both and better with 10ml/L canola or neem oil added to the mix. Spray every 4th day for 4 sprays worth to make sure you get them all and soak the leaves well top and bottom. I like to wet them lightly an hour later to give it more time to work and maybe spread some onto any missed spots tho I make damn sure I don't miss any spots. I wear a vinyl glove on my left hand and slide it up the branch to lift the leaves spraying as I go. Spray a little on the top of the soil too for the few that fall in there. A good spray of just water to rinse them off the next day is a good idea too.

Don't spray until you know you have bugs to spray and then make sure what kind of bug it is to do the job right when chemical warfare is called for. Don't do yard work and then walk into the grow room. No pets in there either or your grubby pals that have been who knows where. Bugs can ride in on a breeze or get carried in on clothes or hair.

An oz of prevention is worth a tun of bug spray. (1tun = 252 gallons of wine.) ;)

peace.gif

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If you keep room clean less chance of bugs
    Rule of thumb if you were out side don't go into inside garden in same clothing this also minimize risk of pests make sure fresh intake is filtered and exhaust is clear of vegetation

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've only had gnats and used diatomaceous earth, sticky paper, and reduced watering to clear them up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. You generally don't employ pesticides as a preventative measure when growing cannabis especially with hydroponic methods. It's fairly easy in a clean small grow room to keep it pest free if you're careful. Bringing in strange plants you get given is the most common way to introduce a pest or using organic compounds that have been fermented outside or in open air. Some soils can come with bugs in the bag accidentally.

I would always wait until you find an infection to apply anything. The sticky paper traps can work as both a preventative and alert you when you have an issue. Some pests are almost more of an annoyance then a real problem and are quite easy to eliminate like gnats. Spider mites on the other hand can kill a plant if left unchecked in a short period of time. 10-14 days.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I have SNS 209. It's one of the more non toxic alternatives made with mostly rosemary oil. I used a combination of that and mighty wash to eliminate some spider mites from clones of my infected plants.

• Like Like x 1