How Often Do I Water/Feed?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Demosthenes22, Feb 28, 2009.

1. I've had a question for a while now, and I searched multiple times for the answer, but I haven't found it, so I'm going to ask it and hopefully some of you can help. I'm wondering whether you're supposed to run the air pump attached to a General Hydroponics Waterfarm Bucket continuously or intermittently. I understand that plant roots need both water and oxygen, and therefore you don't want to drown them, but I think that with the water running continuously in a drip fashion with clay pellets that oxygen will still be ample. My question is, is this true? Would my system work with 24hr watering or should I water for 15 min., then turn it off for 15 min., then turn it back on and so on?
    Additionally, I think that the air pump that is used to run the drip ring could possibly serve to aerate the water in the resevoir, but I'm unsure whether there is any contact between the water and the pumped air other than in the resevoir, so it might not be oxygenating it at all, but if there was contact, I think the water would be 02 rich.
    Does anyone out there use this model or employ a drip system with clay pellets? If you do, what rate do you water/feed your plants at? Do you water continuously as clay pellets drain quickly/easily or do you water/feed intermittently, and if so, for how long and how long in between? Thanks for your help.

PS I posted this in beginner's b/c it seemed like a beginner's question, but also here because it's a hydroponic question, and it seems to be the best place as well. Thanks again for the help, I've been fascinated/enthralled by these forums since I stumbled across them.