How much you water?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sukuhdi, Feb 7, 2009.

1. HEy i was wondering how much do u guys usually water?. i have 3 plants each in a 4 gallow pot. I use 2 gallons of water each watering, twice a week. Some weeks my plants leaves will be droopy. So how much do you wwter your soil plants and how often?

2. I water when my soil gets dry.
    so twice a week should be good.
    But u may b using to much water i really dont know how much i put in i just take a guess

3. then how do you know how much nutrients to add to your water, if you dont know how much water your using?

4. if ur plants are still in vegetative stage and your giving them nutients thats y the leaves will be droopy

5. Sorry, but that is wrong. It is OK and even encouraged to give plants nutes/ferts in the vegetative stage. Overwatering will cause drooping as will underwatering. Over fertilization or nute/fert burn looks completely different. Usually causes brown spots on the tips of the fan leaves.

As for how often to water. Best way to tell is by soil moisture. But, remeber, it's not about the top layer of soil, it's what is underneath. Try to stick your finger about an inch into your soil. If it is still moist down there than hold off for another day or two. Keep testing and when it is dry at that level, then water.

As for how much to water. I typically mix 1 gallon of nutes at a time. This tends to feed all of my plants once, but depending on how many you have it may be more or less than that. Then, water your plants until water comes out of the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot. This means that you have thoroughly saturated the soil.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

6. yea thats prob to much water does your pots have drainage?.. depending on how big ur plants are.. i only water my plants with about a half a gallon of water a week per plant

7. mines still little. only 9 days old now... I usually only water about 1 cup of water once a day sometimes once every 2 days. Lately its been sipping up a LOT of water. I've got the CFL's down reallll low so its gettin to be a freakin bush!

[​IMG]

8. Dude ferts nd nutes encourage early bud. U dont want that. And i sort of know considering i just got my cert in horticulture and now am doing my diploma this year

9. If the leaves are droopy the plants are dry.
    How much to water? Depends on your climate. I have to give my girls 6 litres of water each every 24, or they are drooping by 36. But if they do droop, it is amazing how quick they recover when they get a drink.

10. Hmmm, maybe you need to go back to school then. Are you suggesting to not feed your plants at all?

To the OP, 2 gallons twice a week for 3x4 gal. could be about the right amount, but also could be too much. Does not sound like too little. Don't water by the calender or clock, let the soil dry out between waterings. Poke a finger an inch deep to feel if the soil is moist. With experience you can tell by the weight when lifting the pot. Mix ferts to the amount of water you are giving, and if you give too much then the water will run off and the extra ferts will run off as well.

11. experience>certificate

12. well i have my opinion and you have yours
    =)

13. Budding happens when the plant detects that days are getting shorter - late July/early August in my part of the world. Ferts and nutes make sure that they are large, potent and lots of them - and I am sure we all want that.

14. Mind if a soil grower turned hydro chimes in? First, Cult you don't need to answer any more questions. Within an ungerminated there is only enough food(nutrients) to sustain the new plant for a given number of days. Every living thing needs food. If you use a pro-mix soil or any soil that is void of nutrients you will have to start using nutrients almost from the beginning of the life cycle. You say to judge how much water you use by a "guess"? Saying ferts encourage early budding? I have a mother plant (in soil) that is over 4 years old. You know what that means? That I have been feeding and watering it for 4 years and guess what...no buds!!! Next you say "well i have my opinion and you have yours" Botany and plant physiology is science, not a crap-shoot with opinions. I am always amazed when ignorant people try to think for themselves.

Sorry sukuhdi, here is my thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately droopy plants can be caused from over-watering as well as under-watering. And both can stunt the plants growth and damage the roots and the overall health of the plant. How often you water is going to depend on how fast your soil dries out and how well it drains. If you have a light, airy soil that doesn't absorb much water you will have to water more frequently. You got a couple good answers here. Never go by the soil at the top of the pot, always stick your finger down an inch or more to get an idea of the moisture level. Weight is another good indicator. When you first put soil into your pot, lift it while it's still dry. After you give your plants a good soaking and get 10-20% runoff, pick up the pot and see how it feels. When it feels almost as light as it did before your first watering, it is time to water again. Good luck.

15. You can LIFT your pots ???

[​IMG]

16. Very funny!!! You can't be growing plants in those big bastards, you must be growing trees. :hello:

17. That big bastard is a 40 US gallon, I have a couple of those and a 65 US gallon SmartPot - the bigger the roots the bigger the shoots.

18. Can you lift the pot your going to grow in those babies?:) I bet you don't buy 4 qt bags of medium to fill those up with! ;) I hope you keep us posted your container grow, it will be cool to see a happy tree. buddy

19. #19 lessismore, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009

So true, also, since you are an outdoor grower, using pots along w/ a good soil mixture will give you very strong robust plants. As stated, the stronger the root system, the bigger the shoots and eventually the buds will get. A stronger plant can sustain bigger thicker flowers b/c the branches are much stronger.

Not true! All I need to say.

As for the intitial question, there is no miracle water schedule. Growers all use various methods to determine when to water. How much is determined by size of pot. I grow in 3-5 gl pots, on avg. I water the 5 gl pots w/ about 1 - 1.5 gl's of water. I stopped using a nute schedule several grows ago b/c I have become to know the strains I grow and can pretty much determine what they need and when.

I think 2 gls may be a little much. One thing is certain, using that much water will cut down on soil salinity. You may need 2 gl's for a 5 gl pot, however not twice a week. The weight method is a good way to know, another way is to use a stick, I use a chop stick, and I poke it about 3-4 inches down into the soil and if moist soil sticks to it, then I know I can wait another day or 2 to water.

Plants will droop from over watering or under watering. I have never seen plants droop from nutes, if they show any negative signs from over feeding it is tip burn which can spread fast depending on the PH of your water and how fast your plants absorb water.

less

20. Just plain wrong. Sorry.