How much would it cost to import a car?

Discussion in 'General' started by Vicious, Mar 11, 2008.

1. From europe? :D

anyone know how to register a foreign car and if right hand drive cars are street legal?

2. i heard 5-10gs

3. a lot. i've even heard more than that.

4. i think right hands are legal, but chances are the emissions are going to be out of whack

so you are probably going to have to redo exhaust etc + shipping it to USA

you really are looking at 10k min

5. theres a cite where you can import cars from japan and they come with RSD (right side drive)

i think the import cost from that site is around 4-5000 dollars, they ship it on a boat, and it takes a really log time like 6 months

thats all i got on the subject

6. That sounds more reasonable. 10k's steep. My neighboors got their benz in germany and saved bringing it back than if they bought it in the states.

7. i heard if you travel to the country where the car is made it is actually way less expensive(5k or so) in the end to buy it there and drive/sail it back

8. I found a car I want for 6k-11k USD, I have 17k.

[​IMG]

<3

The Supra I wanted ended up getting sold. Theres another one I found but I think it'll sell quick too.

9. I could never pay 25% of the cars price to ship it. Thats crazy talk.

10. http://www.shipmyvehicle.com/default.aspx

Get quotes for shipping based on type of car.

11. Actually, it's about 100%. I did some research and it has to go through a resgistered NHTSA importer. It's about 5k for a GTS-T (RWD Turbo). It would cost about 13k to do it all. If I brought a skyline to the US it would already be worth more than that since I did all the legal bullshit myself. They only have about 40k miles on them, I cant believe a skyline is that cheap. I will happily drop my whole inheritance on this. I hope to have a couple G's to get my grow together and move out still.

I really hope i can pull this off.

12. I think bringing a Skyline over here from Japan is every 16-25 year old dude's dream if they happen to be into cars. That's not as easy as it sounds.

But omg if I had the money, the time, and the patience I would totally do that.

13. it's easier to bring them from europe. I was shocked when I found out how cheap they really are.

14. -theres a blue R-34 gt-R with less than 10K miles forsale in AZ for 30K

-theres also a couple R-32's for around 15-20K

-they're already in america; you just gotta look. motorEX in cali is the main supplier. i hear its from 10-13K to legally register them in america, and all the vins have to match up, even on the doors, tranny, motor etc. + if you're going to daily drive it; you have to remember its not sold in america, and neither are any oem parts for it. not like aftermarkets hard to come by; shipping time is a bitch though when u need your car the next day.

-the american one, is going to be one bad fucking machine- too bad it doesnt come out til 2009 or 10

i'd buy a supra if i had the cash to throw around, on stock internals, stock tranny- u can be pushing over 600WHP which is gonna be somewhere around 700Hp @ the fly give or take a few...i know cuz my homie threw a HKS T04R + a mild tune, and has been daily driving it now for 2 years with no replacement of internals.

either way i like where your heads at... if u got the money- make urself happy

15. I looked up MotorEx and they're extremely over priced, the way to go is importing it yourself. I wouldn't get an R32 because they don't comply with the american EPA standards. Only models after 96 do, the R33. So getting anything before street legal takes extra cash. MotorEx is so expensive because they do all the bullshit for you. I live in FL, and we have some of the most relax EPA laws, and is one of the easiest states to get a skyline licensed and regestered in. The reason the shipping through the IR is so much is because they do the undercarage staralization, EPA regulations, make it comply, and change out things in your car such as guages to match standards, shipping is only really less than 2k, everything else puts it at 2-4k more.

16. hate to bereak it to you but skylines are hard to get imported, are being made illegal for the most part, and are near impossible to get emissions passable. its worth it if you can, but its a very very long and expensive road to go down.

i know people with imported cars, mainly hondas, and they are legal RHD and smoggable, but skylines and silvias, thats a whole nother ballpark. those cars are just in a different league to regular every day cars, despite what their status may be in their respective domestic homes.

17. This might be another one of my hallucinations but it seems to me as if you categorize the "right side" wheel cars under all of Europe.. The only cars that are made like that in europe are in the United Kingdom. If you get a Benz, it'll be exactly like one here. Benz's tend to be really cheap in Germany as it is a local product, especially if you check out around American Bases, a lot of military buys the cars and as soon as they have to return home they rather sell them for cheap rather than having to bother with moving it and such. GL

18. also true. i know someone in the military who bought an m3 in germany and bought it back here for nothing. be it an older m3, but still, it was dirty cheap.

19. why dont u just buy a 98 240sx, and throw the rb26dett into it... there's a shit ton of em here in az/ca like that-

20. it would probably cost him about as much money to do that, and get the car legal where he lives. i dont even have an engine swap, just the addition of a turbo and i cant pass my car anywhere for emissions, i gotta pay off the inspector every year to pass and have the test faked. its a huge, HUGE pain in the ass.