How much would 1000w MH/HPS ballast increase my electric bill a month?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by nt3grals, Feb 18, 2016.

1. So i'm curious to how much of a spike i'd see in my electric bill each month if i was using a 1000w or 2 600w MH/HPS BALLAST(s)? Would it increase tremendously, or maybe just a $100 or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Nobody will know unless they know how much you pay for electricity. Every region has a different cost.

Grab last, or next, month's power bill and find how many total kW or watts you used over the billing period. Then divide the $bill by the number of watts or kilowatts. That is your price per watt or kilowatt. 1000 watts is 1 kilowatt so just multiply the price per (quantity) by how much the light uses, making sure you keep the same unit (watts or kilowatts).

My 740w light plus heater and fan costs me around $60 per month but yours might be way more or less, depends on how expensive your electricity is.

3. When i multiply it out, will i just multiply it by 1000w? Or do i need to multiply it out by how long the light will run or what? Lol

4. 1,000w running for 1 hour is 1kwh. So a 1 kw light running for 12 hours a day is 12 kwh per day. At 12¢ per kwh that would cost me $1.44 per day to run, or close to $50 per month. More than worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes, what he ^ said. Your cost per watt or kw is the cost per hour.

6. We run 4, 1000 watt hps for flower along with all the other stuff that is in support of it...and the veg room as well with 2 T5s, etc. Our electric bill went up about $100 a month with the flowering room running a cycle. Considering the amount I pull out of that room about every 2 1/2 months, not bad at all. I will tell you that I'm married to an electrician and he redistributed the circuitry and made some changes in the outside panel as well so not to overload one particular circuit, etc. He sure has come in handy since I started this thing! LOL But just running 1 1000 watt lamp shouldn't make a huge difference in your bill. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you! This has been very helpful!

8. I have a fixed bill every month $170 year round. I started growing a year ago and now have 2/600 1/1000 and a 400. Needless to say the provider is already trying to get me out of this plan when I renew in June. Damned smart meters collect data from every one and my usage is 230% greater than the "norm" lol. I'll be dialing down to a 1000watt vertical soon as this crop is done

9. Maybe if your house is ran on half solar. Haha....1K is about $50/month to most people I would think.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I don't get it, let's say I'm in a region where electric is about average, 12 cents per KH , I got a Mars 300 ( old style 180w) and a MarsII 400 ,190w. A 4" inline fan and sometimes a small cool mist humidifier, this little bit of gear raised my bill over 150$ a month, I don't get it, gotta be the carrier, or " supply" charges
    , I see everyone saying how there 1000w set up only raises there bill like 60, or 70$ I'm like wtf, I'm about to upgrade the system to 1000w, wife's gonna have my head, anyone see ridiculous increases of small( ish) amounts of usage increase?

11. We have a peak time thing... Where during buisness hours its costs alot more. Maybe something like that?

12. Down here in New Mexico, our power only costs ¢3.5 per KWH, meaning running a 1000w lamp would cost ¢84, or only $25 a month.

Even more than that, like BoomBoom, my electricity bill is static (lol), tied in with my rent, and it doesn't change.

So really, looking at the other numbers I'm seeing, New Mexico is the best place to grow indoors lol

13. Where I live, the green mountains of Vermont, (2) 600w running on1k ballast(s) veg, 18/6 $52/55 pm, flower 12/12 $41/44 pm