How much weight is lost during drying?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by theBeesFamily, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Last time I got about 10 oz from each plant, but it was gone so fast I forgot how much it dried out to be. Had a rough go this time and had to grow a near dud seed and only yielded about 78 grams. Anyone think they know how much that will end up to be? Half of that is a little less than an ounce and a half, and that's how much I think I'll get. So 50% loss. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I don't know if there is a standard percentage, but I do know that it's a lot. I think a good slow cure under the right conditions is the way to do it and not lose anymore weight than you have to, but a huge percentage of a fresh cut bud is moisture and it leaves quickly. TWW

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yea 10 ounces wet harvest dried to about 4 1/2 or 5 ounces. I think I'll only get about an ounce and a half. Buts it's all gravy baby

4. After a complete cure, you will get 20-25% of the wet harvested weight.

PW

• Like Like x 5
  5. This has been my experience as well, over the years.

Wet

• Like Like x 3
  6. So if someone harvests an ounce they will only come up with a quarter dry?

7. Correct, an oz would dry to 5-7 grams.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  8. I say about 40% from the time you chop till a month after jarring.

9. Id gues 50-60%

10. That's exactly correct for planning. I was going to say 75%-80% weight loss 90%+ which is water.

Take it to the bank....er ah...stash jar.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Depends on how hydrated the plant is at harvest but it could be up too 75% or so lost.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Which is why it's pretty much a waste of energy to even weigh it fresh chopped...

Listen to the older experienced gardeners & plan on losing 75% of your weight.

J

• Like Like x 3
  13. 75-80% is alot...gues its better to think this way then b disapointd but ive never lost that..idl to hav it crumble by slowly pinching it..just my opinion tho

14. Well fact in my world.....

15. #16 killset, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    As said it depends on how hydrated the plant is but up to 75% or so lost is common. Less hydrated at harvest, less loss but also less wet weight. Also how much each individual grower dries the crop comes into play and at what point the dry weight is taken

16. I feel I get about 1/3 of the wet wieght when dried IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app.

17. Well if it helps, from every one and a half ounces of fresh fruit, I got 19 grams.

18. 42 grams dried to 19. So that's about 50% loss

• Like Like x 1
  19. This seems way more accurate to me instead of 80%...i can c what the old timers mean(by preparing for worst by saying 75%-80%,best way to not b disappointed)n its still a crap shoot cause 42g wont equal 19g for everyone but def sounds much more accurate as to what happens for me every 3 n half wks..