How much nutrients to solve nitrogen deficiency?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by infiniteawesome, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Well if you look at my sig you'll see my current grow which is rather low on pics.

I started them off in .75 gallon pots and kept them in there through five weeks of veg before putting them on 12/12. At about week 4, their lower leaves started to yellow and then die off after about three days of yellowing. Stupidly, I didn't ask any questions about it here, I just left it . . .

I transplanted at about week 5.5 to 2.5 gallon rectangular tupperware containers due to slowed growth. They took off but yellowing continues on the old growth.

Basically from researching on here and elsewhere I've ascertained that my two plants might have a nitrogen deficiency. I just don't know how much to dose. I have the following available to me because I purchased different ferts over time:

Bat Guano (13-7-4)
    Blood Meal (20-0-0)
    and
    Tomato Food (5-10-10)

I also have mixed a tiny bit of worm casting into the soil, but not a good deal, just a light sprinkling halfway down the soil mixture.

They each say to dose 1 tbsp sprinkled lightly around the topsoil before the next watering. Now, after I transplanted them two days ago, I let the plants sit for 24 hours and then I watered them like normal with 1/2 the recommended dose of the Tomato Food, but I don't know if that was enough as yellowing persisted (guess not).

Recommendations are obviously very welcome and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. I have never used the guano or the blood meal. I would give them the guano though. It looks like that one has the widest range of NPK with a bit more N which you need. If you use the tomato one (which you did) starting at half was wise but since plants are well established you would probably be ok with full strength (full strength for chemical nutes should be half of what the directions say).

3. well just to let you know I dosed with half of the recommended dose of guano and they picked up growth wise, the yellowing leaves were too yellow to save and died the next day though. If yellowing continues I will up the amount, but I heard that with guano and other similar organic nutrients you can nute every third watering from half to full strength depending on the age/size of the plant. Though I've heard not to go over.

I want to just keep with the tomato food as that has a higher p than n and k ratio and that's what I want for flowering right? But until the N problem disappears I"ll just continue dosing with the guano I guess.

What do you guys think? Yes? No?

Oh, and thanks smknvtec.

4. once a nitrogen deficiency starts, where you see the yellowing of the leaves, it wont heal, it will slowly stop yellowing once the problem has been corrected, but the plant will drop the leaves when its done needing them.......

also blood meal is not 20-0-0

its 10-0-0

5. :) Anytime buddy.
    Yeah get rid of the N problem like stitch said and then go back to the high in P food. Please tell me how you like the guano because I want to use it soon.

6. Thanks for the info and yeh, the lower leaves never healed and I picked them off earlier today, but the rest of it looks good.

My blood meal states on the side of the box that it's 20-0-0 . . . ah well, all I know is I haven't used this stuff but once on my one and only outdoor grow last year that got ripped . . . I remember the plant taking off two days after I nuted with it, but it attracted ants later on and I had to clean off what remained of it on the surface.

I'm gonna dose with the guano one or two more times before moving to the tomato food which I will dose at full I think since it's 5-10-10 . . . sound alright?

The guano's super nice though cuz I kept it in it's unsealed box for like a year and it's still super good and fragrant . . . not the worst smell in the world either, just . . . weird. Not bad at all though considering it's bat shit.

7. Just go to walmart, they sell nitrogen sticks, that's pretty easy to do.

8. wow, never heard of blood meal being 20-0-0 i always seen it to be 10-0-0

anyways why would he want to go to wal mart if hes got everthing he needs to fix the problem he has now, waste of money, why give money to wal mart anyways lol

hey vtec i love using guano, it really boost's resin on the buds and fattens them up

pure blen bloom is a guano tea mixed with other stuff and thats what i used on my grow and i will never use anything different otherwise :)

9. Hey Stitch,
    What do you thing of the Mexican and Jamaican bat guano's? Dismembered, I don't think those Nitrogen sticks are any good because they time release into the soil and once again there is no way of controlling how much and how often they get fed. What do you think stitch?

10. yup exactly, slow releasing not good... not to mention depending on how much you water the more it can leach and there is no real way knowing how much its getting, thats why its horrible to use time released ferts

differnt guanos are good for different things but those guanos are good to use and if they are in tea form they work faster if its in soil form will work a bit slower

11. I can't really find bat guano high in P around here for some reason. One of my plants is 100 percent female. I thought it hermied on me two days ago, but those pods just opened up and made more flowers, so yay :D

Anywho, that bat guano did the trick and solved my nitrogen deficiency for sure. They are taking well to the tomato food. I'm four days into flower and I'm seeing tiny dime sized buds forming with a bunch of white hairs coming out of these green spindles all over the place.

Towards the end I might invest in some bone meal, but I think either the guano or the tomato food is fine for now. Gonna have to put some lime in in a couple of weeks to make sure the ph doesn't get too acidic from all this urea I'm putting into the soil from the organic fertilizers.

You guys think I should keep on using the guano, or should the tomato food be okay?

Bat guano is:

13-7-4

Tomato food is:

5-10-10

Or do you guys think I should use something else for flowering?

12. tomato food is a flower fert the gunano your using is more veg fert

dont use the guano unless you need it for nitrogen

you want less nitrogen in flower but your plants still need a bit of it

and since yoiur tomato fert has little nitrogen enough tokeep it happy you shouldnt have any problems frmo here on out as long as you dont underfeed or overfeed