How much is your rent? Is it even worth paying so much in the US of A?

Discussion in 'General' started by ProtectLilBTaskforce100, Oct 5, 2013.

1. #1 ProtectLilBTaskforce100, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
    I'm at a point where I have to move out of my parents house and go somewhere I can afford. The place I live has rent at like $1500 for a 1br and like 2000 for a 2br. I can't afford this shit and I'm thinking of moviing out to a smaller town or another country within the next few years. I've never been outside of the US, but I was wondering how people paid their rent. I have a couple grand saved up and I could either spend this on a couple months rent and work like 40 hours a week to keep my funds from dropping, or I could live in another country where my US dollars are worth a bit more.

When I say move out of the USA, I'd probably go somewhere not third world, like Mexico or Canada. I'm wondering what you guys pay for rent in your area.

2. #2 suplove, Oct 5, 2013
    2 grand wont get you anywhere

i live in a 2 bed/2bath in LA with two roommates for 2500 a month.

3. #3 StonerNack, Oct 5, 2013
    My mom rents out her houses for $350 a month. ( 3 br, 2 bath and kitchen/dining room + big yard and good neighbors)

I know my old dealer is renting his old house for $500 a month fully furnished.

Out in the middle of nowhere West Virginia.

4. Canada is not third world. Fuck bills bro. Just be a bum and enjoy life. I mean be honest, what would u being doing to pay your bills? Nothing important I know that.. So fuck bills and live how u want to.

Nah I don't do drugs. I smoke weed.

5. 3 broom house for $495 a month. not too shabby

6. Uh. 1500 a month or a year? I've seen 475/month for 2 bedrooms in both rural areas like mine, and in NYC (not manhattan, shit's crazy there) where my aunt lives.

7. I watched a video awhile back about some minor youtuber who paid for his 1 bed 1 bath apartment house with the money he got from his youtube subscriptions.. and he moved to rural lithuania to do it. Apparently everything is much cheaper over there

8. I live with my parents and dont pay shit. I am in the process of getting financially independent. Im gonna rent an apartment at first on my own, then buy a house when I'm married

9. I'm in the suburbs in Oregon, pay less than $700 for a 1 bedroom apartment. There are shittier places for less too. :p 

10. i live in a really nice apartment in downtown montreal on st.laurent (basically a main street of montreal) with everything on it you could imagine, clubs, shops, restaurants, etc. I live with my friend, we each pay $650 per month for a 5.5 with a terrace and roof access. we have a really nice kitchen, an office, a good bathroom, a really great living room, and two nice bedrooms. we have access to the roof over st laurent on one side with a view of mont royal, and a terrace on the other side with a grill and outdoor stuff, also with a view to mont royal. It's splendid. 

11. 2br, 1ba for 595

All utirI only pay for electric. Pretty much standard. Well, a little bit cheaper because it's kind of old. Most 2br will be in the 600s with no utilities included.

Midwest here.

12. A couple grand won't do shit. You'll want at least 10k saved up. So if you lose a job you'll still be able to pay all your bills for six months to a year. And even in places where it costs over 1k for a 2 bedroom usually have 1 bedrooms or studios for 600-800 utilities included.

13. mortgage payment is 530$ a month on a 1200 square foot house. 

14. I reccomend moving to Wahsington it's hella cheap their. My parents are paying 3000 for a tiny ass house in cali, not tiny but for 3grand it is lol. 4 bedroom 2 bath/

15. That sounds like a great place you've got there and the right price it would be worth.

16. 415 a month for 1/1. It's a nice little place and it' cheap like i need.

17. My girl and I are renting a 2 bed/2 bath townhome for $500... Its her grandmothers. Pretty nice home in a decent area.

I dread leaving... Haha

18. #18 ProtectLilBTaskforce100, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013
    I've thought about moving to Oregon because it's up one state from California. I know the rent is cheaper there and I have a couple grand saved up which could get me just at few months of living expenses. How much would I need to prepare myself to move out and be ready to pay like 500 a month? I would definitely want to find a room mate, but besides that what other preparations are necessary to get out of my parents house in California? I'm 20 and way overdue for living independent in my opinion. Even though times are hard I feel like I should be on my own. My plan is by next year I'll be ready. Sucks though because I really have spent money on useless shit like hats, this macbook, weed, alcohol, food, CDs. I've probably spent like 3 or 4 grand I could have saved up for rent. I need to be a long term thinker If I want to be self sustaining. I can't toss money out like that.

Firstly, depending where you'd want to live in Oregon, $500 might not get you much. I searched for rentals $500 or under on a Real Estate site, and got 129 results in the entire state. Everything in the Portland area was either commercial/storage space, a room for rent in someone's house, or apartments in shitty little hick towns out in the boonies. 
    If you're prepared to pay more like $650-700 a month, you'll have more options. But if you have a roommate and can each pay $500 a month, you'll have a hell of a lot of options. :p 

So let's say $500 a month... At a lot of places, you'll need first and last months rent and the security deposit, so that could already run you $1500. If you don't already have a job lined up when you get there, it will be a lot harder to get approved for an apartment and you may even have to pay the first three months in advance if you can find a place that will let you do that. 
    The safe thing to do would be to have a large cushion in case something goes wrong... can't find a job, lose your job, car breaks down, whatever else. A lot of people recommend having three months of complete living expenses (that includes car insurance, gas, food, electric, phone bill, internet bill, etc) saved up for a situation like that, you may even want to consider three months of living expenses on your own in case the roommate situation doesn't work out. 

It's definitely a lot of money if you want to be safe about it. I think I'd aim for at least tripling your current savings. 

20. Do you live in Hollywood Hills or some shit? That's absurd. I pay $1700 for a 3 bedroom townhouse with 3 bathrooms, and a two car garage. Decent neighborhood.