How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by burnkush, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Hey guys im looking for a used car (first car actually, im 18) and I was wondering how much milage is to much..like a used car with 150,000 miles..at what milage do cars mostly give out at?

2. 100,000 miles is getting pretty old. I would say definitely no more than 150k miles.

3. 150,000 is a lot of miles, you will be doing a lot of replacing, it can get costly all of a sudden when a fuel pump goes out etc.

Find a cheap Japanese car with less than 100k, NEVER buy American, unless you like Fixing random shit you don't have to.

4. I usually throw in the towel at 75K and get something more modern.

5. my mistake as a teen was buying crappy used American cars.

American cars are not built as well as imported cars, sad but true.

6. Makes sense.. I saw some cheap honda civics for 1500$ but the milage is 150k+. I guess im gonna keep saving $
    Whats a good imported car that doesnt give much problems and is good on gas?

7. Answers!!!

8. Well I personally just upgraded to a decent used car with less miles, I have a Mazda3 hatchback gets 25-30 mpg city and about 30+ highway. Pretty quick and stylish as well, I also had a nice 92 nissan maxima with a ton of miles on it and it still ran great. And it is sad but any american car above 100000 miles just turns to shit, had a cadillac deville 2001 and at 130,000 miles everything just decided to stop working. Try finding a local auction website for your town or city, IE craigslist and look up decent cars. And honestly the best way to find out if the car is good or not is just look up 10+ reviews online and see what they say, that's what I always did.

9. [quote name='"ivraan"']Well I personally just upgraded to a decent used car with less miles, I have a Mazda3 hatchback gets 25-30 mpg city and about 30+ highway. Pretty quick and stylish as well, I also had a nice 92 nissan maxima with a ton of miles on it and it still ran great. And it is sad but any american car above 100000 miles just turns to shit, had a cadillac deville 2001 and at 130,000 miles everything just decided to stop working. Try finding a local auction website for your town or city, IE craigslist and look up decent cars. And honestly the best way to find out if the car is good or not is just look up 10+ reviews online and see what they say, that's what I always did.[/quote]

Thanks for the info

10. depends how much youre looking to spend honestly.

if youre looking at honda, nissan, mitsu, etc they are good for up to 250k miles, sometimes more. but i would not buy an import that you are looking to use as a daily driver with more than 130,000 miles.

as for an american car like ford, dodge, chevy etc i would not get anything over 75k miles. they will shit out a lot quicker. but like i said, depends on how much you got to spend. if you only have 2500, you wont have much luck finding anything with less than 130,000 miles. shit, prolly more. i just bought an 03 eclipse with 128k for $5300. my 04 nissan frontier i bought with 112k miles for 6500.

11. [quote name='"darksmoker"']depends how much youre looking to spend honestly.

if youre looking at honda, nissan, mitsu, etc they are good for up to 250k miles, sometimes more. but i would not buy an import that you are looking to use as a daily driver with more than 130,000 miles.

as for an american car like ford, dodge, chevy etc i would not get anything over 75k miles. they will shit out a lot quicker. but like i said, depends on how much you got to spend. if you only have 2500, you wont have much luck finding anything with less than 130,000 miles. shit, prolly more. i just bought an 03 eclipse with 128k for $5300. my 04 nissan frontier i bought with 112k miles for 6500.[/quote]

Ya my mom said she will help me out so I have 5000

12. for 5000 you can probably look for cars on craigslist that are prices 6500-7000, and when you talk to the seller just be like "hey i got 5000 cash right now for the 2000 civic i can bring it to you tonight", most likely they'll take it. not all, but some.

used dealerships are easy to talk down. my 03 eclipse, it was on sale on the lot for 8800 and we got it for 5300 cash. i had 6000 to spend. i just told them that 53 was all i could do, sorry, gotta walk, then theyre like WAAAAAIT lol

13. The key is to scope out how well the car has been maintained and cared for, and to do your research on how well various models last. I've had great success buying high mileage cars.

14. Bought my 2000 Nissan Frontier @ 200k and it is now at 283k miles. If the previous owner actually maintained the vehicle, and you continue to do so, it's a win.

But it depends on the car as well, since my 2003 Mazda6 is sitting in a backyard with a blown engine at 185k miles.

15. My first car was a 1991 Mitsubishi lancer erina hatchback for $1600. 1.6L, 156kilometers. It is a good car to run.

16. [quote name='"darksmoker"']

for 5000 you can probably look for cars on craigslist that are prices 6500-7000, and when you talk to the seller just be like "hey i got 5000 cash right now for the 2000 civic i can bring it to you tonight", most likely they'll take it. not all, but some.

used dealerships are easy to talk down. my 03 eclipse, it was on sale on the lot for 8800 and we got it for 5300 cash. i had 6000 to spend. i just told them that 53 was all i could do, sorry, gotta walk, then theyre like WAAAAAIT lol[/quote]

Oh ya I forgot about bargaining lol. I bought a bmx off of craigslist for 100$ when the guy was asking for 500 lol..first hes like "how bout half,250$, and Im like nah and a couple days later he hooked it up for a 100$ lol

17. Just think: it turns pills into powder in a, matter of seconds so just think about what itll do to your buds

18. Whoops wrong forum

19. i bought a 99 civic coupe for $2,000 dollar with a/c, 150k mileage, no leaks or problems, and even has clean title with a fresh ass paint job.

20. [quote name='"steezyDAT"']i bought a 99 civic coupe for $2,000 dollar with a/c, 150k mileage, no leaks or problems, and even has clean title with a fresh ass paint job.[/quote]

Is it still running?