how much heat does a 200+watt HPS...?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by boro, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ...produce? I am planning to use a 30hx24wx12d" cabinet, and will have small fan ventilation. I originally planned to use CFL lighting, as it was low temp and easy to get... but I've found HPS lighting too be relatively inexpensive from some companies.

Is the area I'm growing in too small of a volume to contain an HPS light? Will it overheat? I need a very quiet setup...

2. I'm using a 26" x 26" x 14" cab with a 70w HPS. I started with 150w, but it got way too hot so I retuned it for the 70w and it made a big difference in terms of temp. I got 4, 80mm antec fans , 3 speeds, but I'm running them at 34cfm each all for intake in the center of the back wall, with the HPS about 12" from my 2 day old seedling. I find that keeping the fans blowing in keeps it much cooler than sucking it out. Temp was 79-80 F last I checked and it looks healthy though hasn't really grown at all since it shed its shell and revealed the first set of leaves almost 2 days ago. Your going to need alot of ventilation. I had 2 brush fans - 65cfm each as intake and that kept the temp down around 75 F, but they were way too loud, so I returned them and bought ball-bearing ones instead. With about the same cfm total, its much quieter and not too much difference in temp. They also have 50w and 100w HPS too, go to lowes or home depot and they are sold as security lights. If you get a small wattage HPS you can always add a few cfls later for cheap. Because they are cooler I'm going to try to add 2-42w warm and 2-23w cool, for 200w total HPS/CFL. Or less, depending on heat. Good luck!

Check out icmag.com - microgrow forum, and you'll see some great grows with low wattage HPS in small cabinets/PC boxes.

3. If you're that worried about heat why not just fall back on the flouro idea? If you have your heart set on hps, get a couple of smaller lights as frans suggested, but flouros are cool and quiet. Post some pics for us when you get that baby up amd going though......peace man.