How much heat do HID bulbs generate?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by johnyossarian, Oct 11, 2011.

1. If i were to build a "cabinet" or "closet" say 4'x4'x8' in my garage and insulate it well, would a single 1000w HPS generate enough heat to keep the closet warm enough? the garage temperature would be around 25 Fahrenheit (14 would be the absolute most extreme case)

assume a good thick layer of fiberglass insulation and vapor barrier (if anyone can recommend a better type that would be great too)

2. The HID will get the room way too hot, with it that cold out it will be easy to cool it. However you will need something for heat during the dark period when flowering.

3. good point, a small electric heater on a timer will do that, But you think the bulb will be enough of a heat source on its own? what about 600w? or 400w? does MH change things or will that heat it enough also?

thanks

4. I bet a 1k would do just fine. Just get an exhaust fan with a variable speed controller and you can adjust your exhaust speed to keep more heat in. If you are building a cabinet, you could always go the extra step and insulate it as well.

I wouldnt do a 400w personally. Given your space a 600w would be more productive, with the 1k being even better since you dont have heat issues. Go with the biggest light you can keep cooled, no such thing as too much light.