how much does it cost to run a hps 400watt

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by p_dj, Oct 7, 2006.

1. i have just aquired a 400 watt hps light and i plan to use florescant to veg i am wondering if any one can tell me what there electric bill goes up by when they use a 400watt light 12 hours a day for a month,obviously it will be for more than a month but i just want to get a idea of what my cost will be also if anyone reccomends using florescant for shorter period and vegging under hps for 18 hrs instead of flor for 24 if it is worth the expense i mean any replies will be greatly appreciated-kindnuggs

2. this will be my first attempt at a full out indoor grow i have started indoors and moved out in spring but i am to the point where i feel safer supplying myself with my own smoke and at the same time feeling more responsible for doing so ,so any help in getting started with the process will be greatly appreciated. Im not a newbie but any help on yield and costsavers will be put to use and greatly appreciated -thx/nuggsp.s.im used to mother nature doing the work so im a lil nervous about fathering this sacred herb and like any father want to be the best at what i do

3. my electric bill went from 60 to 100 using a 400 watt mh on 24/7 for a month. I'm pretty sure the light,pump,fans,air bubbler was the sole cause rasing it 40 dollars for the month. good luck

4. i think a 400w on 12/12 should run between 20-30$ a month. plus take into account the fans you'll need. count on around 40$ i think.

5. You will pay about$35-$40

6. Steal electricity?

• Like Like x 1
  7. hey thats awesome that puts my mind at ease i will be using fans as well as the florescents i mentioned but i was looking at high times growing guide and it said something to the effect of only use florescents for first 2 weeks of germination does anyone know if that applys for a smaller amount of plants my ultimate goal is to have 3-5 in flower at all times and maybe 2 mothers and clone them in veg at all times,will i need to buy another light for the veg room or can i use florescents?if so what wattage will work for florescent?>im looking for maximum yield as i do like to toke often and usually with one or more people

8. thats a very good way to get busted. Grows are almost always busted for doing that shit.

9. a coffee machine uses more electricity than a 400watt hps

10. Calculating the cost is pretty straightforward.

Look at your electric bill -- many show the kilowatt hour rate. If not just divide the dollar amount of your bill by the number of kilowatt hours consumed to get a pretty close number. The rate may vary depending on time of day usage but at least this will get you very close.

Now, a 400w bulb will use 0.4 kilowatts per hour of use. So 18 hours on per day x a 30-day month equals 216 kilowatt hours consumed. Multiply by your rate and voila, monthly cost. At my rate that would cost about $23 a month.

Keep in mind this is the cost for the light only, add in the wattage and usage for fans etc for total electric cost of your grow.

11. Stealing is Bad Karma!

1 400w will be enough for 4 Plants to Flower. 12 hours needed

You don't need to keep the mother or her clones on 24 hours of light, 18 is enough and cheaper to run. You should use some cool white and warm white 4 foot shop Flo's 2 ballast total is enough for 2 mothers and a ton of clones.

If you have skill you could get 1/4 pound+ every 2 months.

Best of luck!

12. i have a 400w HPS not sure how much it costs i think mine uses about 50p $1 in the usa everytime i have it on for 8 hours a day i just got my light opperating so am not really sure yet how much it costs

now am hearing HPS dont grow shit that will be disopointing if that is true i paid alot of money for my set up ok i got it cheaper than other places all for £50 or $100 but in my eyes £50 or $100 is alot of money for a bloody light bulb & ballast i just hope it works and the claims of no growth at all are just bullshit

13. Less than a coffee maker? Really? Do you have proof of that?

14. there are energy calulators online that u can use, put in watts, per hour, and amount per kilowatt hour and out comes the result

15. #15 GoldGrower, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    you need to know how much your being charged per kilowatt hour, otherwise your just guessing.

a 400watt hps bulb plus ballast will actually use about 500watts
    my electricity for example costs 14pence per kilowatt/hour, so...

change 14pence into "£0.14" and 500watts in to "0.5kilowatts" just for ease of calculation

£0.14 x 0.5 kilowatts = £0.07 per hour
    £0.07 x 12 hours = £0.84 per day
    £0.84 x 30day = £25.20 per month

16. #16 Soxfantony773, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    not to mention the ballast which is almost never factored into those equations. If you use CFL's for most of veg and HPS for only like the last week of veg and all of flowering your bill will not move very much......I live with my folks and they didnt even notice....