how much does co2 help?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by andy83, Mar 2, 2010.

1. im pretty new to growing and just wonder how much of a difference co2 makes, a friend said about 30% but im sort of skeptical, anyone have an idea?

and are there any good links or sticky's for co2, i havent been able to find much

thanks for any input

2. Most set ups dont require any extra co2... Unless your growing a decent number of plans extra co2 is not necessary...lol just breathe into your intake if youre that concerned about it

3. Depending on the size of the area your growing in it can be very beneficial, typically if its say 96 sq ft at a flow rate of .5 would fill the room in 14 mins with 1200 + ppm, if you have it set to every 2 hrs you would have to refill your bottle in 4 months or so. I've seen huge results but its all based off the experience of the grower. If your co2 is great but your nutes stink or water stinks its still not gonna produce at its best.

You could have 1 plant or 20 dont matter Co2 will be beneficial in any application.:hello:

4. Yep Jimmy your right! Just from what I have personally read, I dont see the point in going through the trouble/ monetary investment of CO2 for smaller set ups but yes CO2 is very beneficial/crucial for all plant life

5. I have found that in my experience that Co2 "enrichment" is a waste of money for most growers. Adequate Co2 can usually be provided buy you air intake if the air being brought into the room comes from FLOOR LEVEL outside the room. Co2 is much heavier than oxygen and gathers down low and sort of fills the room from bottom up. But the key issue is plant vigor and mass and growth rate. so before the enrichment can be of use you need EXTREMLY healthy plants using max nutes with no problems also a huge amount of lighting it require to keep up with photosynthesis and even then you would need to pack the room to high hell to NEED Co2 or see any benifit from it.

In short form you would need to make sure that all basic applications are perfect
    great strain, mediun, nutes, lighting, air intake and circulation, Temp, humidity all of these variables need to be absolutely dead on and very stable. if you dont have the labatory style bad ass grow room from hell then there are far better ways to spend your money.

6. In agreement with the other members on this. For most set ups it is not important. I have played with it a little, and basically find it helps with grow spaces which have heat problems, CO2 help maintain healtier growth in spaces where the temps reach high 80's to mid 90's.

For most grows, I find to be a waste of money. I see very little differences in potency and yields using CO2 vs not using CO2. In general, if you have good air flow, keep your temps in check, and put some effort and care into your plants they will produce pretty much the same end results.

7. how do you all feel about homemade Co2? Sugar and yeast? It costs almost nothing and couldnt hurt right? Refill every 3-4 weeks and your good.

8. Complete and total bullshit. CO2 is critical to taking your crops to the next level, regardless of the grow size. My HydroGen Water Cooled CO2 generator is the absolute shit. Probably my favorite addition so far.

You will never come close to 1500 PPM with ambient air regardless of where your vents are located.

30% increase in yield is absolutely possible.

9. yeah, the one's that say they have seen no difference were either using an inadequate homemade system or running it with fans and exhaust on and wasting it.

Someone else made a very good point. To use it effectively you need to have EVERYTHING else in your grow in order. You can't half-ass a grow and add c02, then expect an increase of yield.

Also, it should only be implemented by people who know what the fuck they are doing and use the necessary regulators/controllers!!!!!

10. I knew this, but do you happen to know exactly how much heavier? 2, 3, 4 times heavier than o2?... thanks

11. So if this is complete and total bullshit than you most certainly have a two controll room grow both under identical conditions except for the Co2 enrichment with a full and intellegent grow report that documents the exhibited differences in identical strains through all phases of growth. and you'll post this information for us stupid folks so we know better......right.......well.......you never seen a controll room have you?

you use words that illustrate your self proclaimed genius in this area like "crutial" without telling why its crutial, 30% increase in yield!! the only place I have seen numbers like that is on the box that the system comes in. Without GOOGLE could you tell us what part Co2 plays in our grows?
    also I ALWAYS need to hold my girls back with 1/4 strenth nutes and my results are fantastic...a 30% increase in yield on some of my girls would be a total freak of nature
    so wheres the pics of your plants the one looking like everyone else, and one that is 30% better in yield... I want to see the grow that shows the difference cuz in 25+ years I havent EVER seen it. The cultivators I have known are certainly not second rate by ANY standards and they havent seen it either.....
    So a responce to MY post calling it COMPLETE AND TOTAL BULLSHIT will get your young ass called out, and that causes a 100% increase in the yield of your info....
    post up boy, show us all.........we will be waiting for such CRUTIAL teachings as well as the pics of the 30% increase we all have been doing without all these years.......well.......................

12. #12 lessismore, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010

It is not bullshit. I have usd CO2 and not used it, it makes little if any difference IMHO. In my experience it has it's uses; it works well for grow areas with heat problems, and does enahance growth. However, I have never noticed a huge difference in using it and/or not using in my grows. To me it is just more hype; like Advanced Nutrients and breeder descriptions.

In my outdoor & greenhouse breedng projects I never used CO2, and my results were excellent. Indoors I used it a few times, and there was little if any difference in potency and/or yields. Both potency and yields are strongly based on genetics, and environment. CO2 does not make much difference in either.

We all have opinions, some less experienced growers need these little kicks to improve their results, personally I find a good environment, good air flow, above avg. oil, and lots of love and care are what improves a grow. Just b/c another grower does not agree, and/or play into the HYPE of CO2 does not mean it is bullshit.

Guess I'm just an inexperiencd grower with little or no knowledge of how to use CO2 effectively...right Ironlung?:rolleyes:

13. Its a great question ANDY83 sorry for gettin a tude on yer thread man, respect to ya!

14. I didn't mean for my post to seem like I was placing emphasis on the use of c02. I get by without it just fine, like you have stated. I just got done upgrading a LOT of my system, I could have implemented c02, but deemed it UNNECESSARY. If I bought into the hype of yield increases I would have foolishly spent money that could have been better used.

I'm sure there are some people here that will tell you they've seen an increase in plant vigor and yield. I know there are a lot of younger people here, but you think you guys are the only "old-schoolers" around here?

I know that last comment really meant, "you are the inexperienced grower with inferior knowledge." I won't argue you have years on me, and there's a lot I could learn from you.

15. Sorry guys, CO2 is hardly "hype". It has been proven long ago that plants can use ALOT more CO2 than what is in the normal air. Nothing can change that, it is a fact of nature no matter what your own personal experiences are. If i were you, i would be questioning my own growing skills if you can't seem to utilize it properly. Anybody who says different, lets see your studies or some proof that show to the contrary. And i don't mean your amateur grow room, i mean scientific studies, done in clean rooms and warehouses full of plants in perfect conditions. Show me some studies from these guys that states (Co2 is NOT beneficial). All these studies says it is beneficial...

16. Guys Listen to lessismore he is a genius , In my opinion... Co2 is good for high heat and for faster maturing crops. I don't think Co2 will Yeild you more but it will speed up the ripening process. Though it's the exact same thing , Yes Co2 will yield more Over time as it will turn crops faster but that's about it.

yea tons of people claim higher yields, chances are they were not dialed in on temps and the addition of co2 made the temps more suitable.

obviously Co2 is beneficial , there is no question about that.:D

17. I have used Co2 and have not used it. My plants seemed happier when I used it, and the buds seemed thicker/denser when I used it, but I have also produced nice buds when not using Co2. This is just my opinion, so please dont get angry at me. It is a bitch to set up correctly, and it is a bit pricey to get going. If you have the time and money to add this to your room then shit why not right? If you live month to month and are thinking of putting this $450 on your credit card, dont do it.

Also, if you do decide to do this, make sure to set it up correctly or it wont do you any good, I mean maintaining 1500ppm in your room.

IMO almost all of the nicest grow rooms I have seen all use co2. So that must mean something? Or maybe its a total hype, who knows? You guys should relax the "alpha-maleness" over the Co2 discussion because there is no need to use such strong words towards eachother, cant we all just get along? Wait actually thats bullshit, you guys are all IDOITS:eek:

18. The most accurate statement in this entire thread is that we are all IDOITS!! tell ya what LOAF +rep to ya for having a keen sense of whats totaly obvious.

19. Oxygen atomic mass (o) - 15.9994
    Carbon atomic mass (c) - 12.0107

Sooo ... O2 (o+o) hass an atomic mass of 31.9988 and CO2 (c+o+o) has an atomic mass of 44.0095 making CO2 1.3753 times more dense than O2.

Of course this figure is useless unless you're growing in a pure oxygen and pure carbon dioxide environment, which probably wouldn't be a great idea.....

The average atomic mass of air is about 29 though, making CO2 about 1.5 times heavier.
    :cool:

20. ...if you can afford it, GET CO2! That's the only way your going to have complete control of your room. I'm GOD in my room!

The earth atmosphere has an average of 300ppm of co2. A plant can absorb upto 5x that. Make your room airtight. This will require an a/c that doesn't exaust air out of the room. ( I use a double hose portable a/c)...you'll need a co2 monitor to maintain co2 ppm at 1500 during all light hours. Plants only absorb co2 while they photosynthesis. You'll also need a co2 producer, via tanked co2 or a burner.

...check out my journal in my sig. to get a better idea.