How many watts (flo) for clones/cuttings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TirePile, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Howdy :wave:I have taken some cutting and have them in rock wool, under a plastic canopy. I did have them under a 65 watt flo, very high (almost two feet) above the little ladies. I checked on them about 8 hours later, they looked about the same, but my cabinet seemed a little warm and the inside of my mini green house was dry. I threw in a thermometer and swapped the 65 for a 22 watt circle unit, still VERY high.

I want to know how much light is too much for clones? Is there a minimum?
    Thanks for helping out a nervous NOOB.:rolleyes:

2. how many clones, u should be fine w/ the 65w, but keep it 4" away, & put a fan in there, & whats the temp reading

3. With the 22 watt Flo the temp is 65*F in my cab. There are about a dozen cuttings in one of those black plastic propagation (sp?) trays with a clear plastic "roof." The light is about a foot above the lid.

I would rather stay on the side of caution, I don't want to over load the plants with light, but would it be a better idea to swap the 22 for the 65 watt for more light and warmth?

Thanks

4. i think you should be fine with your lighting at least you dont have HPS light on them! i learned once again the hard way!....

5. JCJ77D just gave you some solid advise for a great start and you would rather listen to yourself and stay on the side of caution?I know someone who only after one week of cutting uses a 1000w. fixture and it stays the same distance from his plants the whole grow.BTW,22w. and 65F.? The best temp is 75f. and the higher watts will help get you there.

6. So I set up the 65 watt, and my temp is 80*F. :) Do you think that is too hot?

Thanks for the help y'all, :hello:it means a lot. :hello:

7. 80's not ideal but it's OK in general, but you don't want it to get much higher. There's also some degree of difference between strains and how resilient they are, but you'll notice signs of heat stress before there's a problem if you check a couple of times a day.

8. Great, will try to work on some airflow to lower the temp a bit. Thanks again everybody.:wave: