How many protein shakes per day is too much?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by 8ight, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Just curious on what you guys think. Of course, they're made as supplements to a good diet, not replacements. But how many shakes should a person drink each day?

I'll have a shake after any work out. I have another one at work. So, 1-2 a day. I was just experimenting and tried coffee mixed with powder, real good! I'm wondering if I replaced a splash or creamer with a scoop of powder for my daily cup of coffee... is that too much protein powder? That'd put me at 2-3 servings a day.

2. just fyi, some people drink as much protien as they weight to gain weight. speaking in grams btw.

thats a lot of servings but that should give you a idea on how much you can drink.

3. all depends on what your tryin to do with it. its good to use it as a diet supplement as long as you eat something with it so your body has something to digest instead of just absorbing the protein. ive found it to help keeping hunger down in a normal day to day setting. your water intake takes place too, protein needs water to be "activated" or to be stored properly, otherwise its just a waste. and i believe the normal range for protein is about 60 grams a day with workouts and thats just to maintain. kf you try gaining wait gillythekid said it right. theres tons of sites, musclestrength.com, mensfitness, and just look it up online and you can narrow it down better to what you are doing in life and how the protein intertwines with your lifestyle and its benefits

4. I drink one with milk at breakfast no matter what. If I work out Ill have one post workout aswell. Then always casein before bed. So between 2-3.

5. About 1 a day. After an intense workout. Other than that I get my protein from meats and other sources.

6. Disregarding minor differences like whey protein vs casein protein, the protein in your protein shake is no different than anything found in say meat,milk or nuts. So the only way you can have "too much" is if you go over your days worth of protein, which is different for everyone depending on a multitude of different factors.

If you want more nutritional info, I'd suggest reading here:
    Nutrition - Bodybuilding.com Forums

7. [quote name='"Capsule Sun"']Disregarding minor differences like whey protein vs casein protein, the protein in your protein shake is no different than anything found in say meat,milk or nuts. So the only way you can have "too much" is if you go over your days worth of protein, which is different for everyone depending on a multitude of different factors.

If you want more nutritional info, I'd suggest reading here:
    Nutrition - Bodybuilding.com Forums[/quote]

I might be taking your post wrong but there isnt a minor difference between whey and caesine protein. They are almost opposite of each other in terms of usage and components inside.

8. I'm not exactly sure what either of them has "inside" but I've always thought that whey is a good source of protein if you need it digested(and therefore used by your body) sooner rather than later (~4 hours), and whey is later rather than sooner (~8 hours). But 1g of either is still 1g of protein, so if you need 150g in a day it can be either 150g of whey or casein, or a combination of both. You just need to time your consumption and the amount at each sitting differently.

9. I'm not positive on the validity of this, but I knew somebody who apparently "overdosed" on whey and was mad sick for a long time. I don't know how much whey it was but it's possible (as it is with just about anything).

10. hmmm i dont see how that could happen, unless the protein itself had some problem. Too much protein puts a lot of stress on your kidneys, thats the most thatll happen, which still is pretty bad. Id say 2 protein shakes a day max, protein powder can never replace real food

11. No more then 3 shakes. (w/ any protein supp)

12. haha I make bomb protein shakes I swear
    which prob doesn't do any good considering I
    add chocolate syrup,or some sugar for sweetness
    annn sometimes ice cream XD
    but anyway I agree with SeriousToke
    more then 3 a day is waaaay to much
    I'd just stick to like 2..but 3 isnt so bad just no more then that

13. How is that healthy?

14. [quote name='"BuffaloSoljah"']
    How is that healthy?[/quote]

it's not really too healthy, but it would be some added calories that'll get you re-upped after a workout.

15. its got protein? :smoke:

16. Calories from syrup and ice cream. The only energy you'll get out of those is a quick sugar buzz and then you'll crash.

Try throwing some fruit in there instead, you'll notice its infinitely better for you, like, you'll actually have some energy.

17. [quote name='"Capsule Sun"']

Calories from syrup and ice cream. The only energy you'll get out of those is a quick sugar buzz and then you'll crash.

Try throwing some fruit in there instead, you'll notice its infinitely better for you, like, you'll actually have some energy.[/quote]

for some people yes. but i can literally eat a cup if sugar and not crash. i've done it countless times in front of people who didn't believe me.

18. I just mix it with milk preferably, or water if I have to.

Also, I just drink it once a day.

Supplements supplement a good diet and exercise, not vice versa.

19. I find Orange Juice is the best mixer with protein

20. Milk in protein is like a delicacy compared to water.