How many plants under a 6 bulb T5?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mjmama25, Jul 22, 2011.

1. I'm about to start an SOG grow. Because of the heat issues in my grow room (A tool shed) I'm going with a 6 bulb T5 for lighting. I know it's not the best lighting source. How many plants can I/would you put under a 6 bulb T5? I think it's 30000 lumens approximately. I can also run some CFL's for side lighting.

ps - I have 28 clones ready, but I can put some of them outdoors as last minute additions to my outdoor garden if they can't fit under the light. I'd like to have as many as possible indoors though.

2. I believe each bulb should be 54 watts; total of 324w. I don't know how big your grow area is but I'd say maybe... 8?

3. When I got it all home I saw that I can fit 16 one gallon smart pots under each lamp and I realized that there is enough vertical space to get a second lamp and have it be double-decker. So I've got 32 plants in a space that's 4x2 wide and 8 tall. I figure even at only 1/4 OZ per plant that will still be 8 OZ every harvest which should be plenty for personal use at an OZ per week.

4. Oh yeah, that would work out nicely. Just be careful with the sativa strains. I'm growing Super Lemon Haze and a strain info site claimed inducing 12/12 at 8 inches tall will end up around 4 ft tall. :D

5. I think your numbers are a bit high for that footprint. I SCROG which is the most effective use of space regardless of light source and attempting 16 plants in a 4'x2' space is way too much, even for a SOG. I run two 4x4 spaces and wont run more than 5 plants in that footprint. I have attempted as many as 9 plants in that footprint. Less is more.

Cut your plant numbers in half or even a third and increase your pot size. It may surprise you, but more often than not less plants = more yield.

I must suggest a SCROG for your t5 lights, its much more effective than a SOG. You will avoid "popcorn buds" and provide a flat canopy for your flat bulbs.

6. Damn that's a lot of stretch! If worst comes to worst, I can move one layer into the laundry room or something lol. But I don't expect it to be a problem.

7. It wont be. Oh and grrower has some solid advice..clearly knows MUCH more than I do :D

8. You can easily grow 4 plants per sq ft in SOG grows. I use smart pots and that greatly reduces the amount of root space you need. Having the pots that close together with budcicles should be my best yield. I've grown the amount of plants your talking about in this same space and it was a huge waste of space. For a SROG maybe 5-8 plants, but for SOG of budcicles in smart pots I want them packed in.

9. the intensity of his t5 lights is not going to lend well for a SOG grow. His "budsicles" will be more like tootsie rolls.

I suggest the SCROG mainly because of his light choice. Those Floros just dont project far and certainly wont penetrate with plants as close as he wants.

10. A SOG is perfect for T5. What are you talking about? The average SOG has between 1-4 freshly rooted clones per sq ft put straight to 12/12. This keeps them short, idea for fluoro light setups. I'm talking about doing what is recommended for my light source.

11. This is also proven to have a higher yield per year (not per plant) than SCROG.

12. Lollipop em after third week of flower or so, t5 seem to not beowerful enough to get shit down there, hell I do it to the ones under the 1000w ones.

13. Thanks, that's what I was thinking. If I keep them really short and lollypop em they should be good. The C99 isn't too leafy so the light should penetrate better with those than some strains. I figure I should be getting 2-4 pounds from my little outdoor grow, and with the yield I get from the T5 (no matter how small) that should be plenty for personal use throughout the year.