How many plants should I put in my box?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 420Cabinets, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Hey everyone! :wave: First time poster....not so first time reader here. I've been doing my research over the last month or so, and I built a grow box that's juuuuust about as big as I can fit in my apartment. :hello: Its 4ft wide, 2.5ft deep, and 6ft tall. I'm going to use a 600 watt hps with a 6" cool tube with a duct from one side of the box, through the cool tube, and then a 6" inline fan exhausting out the other side of the box to keep the light cool. Then I'm going to have one (maybe two) clip on fans inside the box to circulate air, and another 6" inline fan to exhaust air from the box. Oh and some sort of vent to let fresh air in. In the pictures it has foil on the back, but I'm going to take that out and paint the inside white. It also has a timer inside that will control the light and the fan for the light....the other fans will always be on. I plan on using the fox farm soil and nutes as well.

I've got a little bit of gardening experience, and seem to have somewhat of a green thumb so I'm fairly confident about being able to have some degree of success, however this is my first marijuana grow so I am learning. And I love it! Lol. Anyways, what I'm wondering is how many plants can/should I safely put in there? I want to get the most I can out of this set up...what's the best way to go about it? I was thinking five plants, put into flower at around 1.5ft max...? Also, would topping and such be a good idea?

Thanks for the help!
    -Derek

Ps- I left the cat in the box as a reference for size...lol. Oh, and the box is on wheels as well to make it easy to move around when needed and it has a lock/key set on the front....mostly just so that I dont open it during the "night time". lol :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. HAH south park. i know nothing about tihs but i had to comment just on that (^o^)

3. Nice catch lol I knew someone would notice haha

4. This looks strangely familiar to a cab I juss built. Aha. Wheels and all. Haha. But looks good bro keep us updated n here's a pic of mine I threw a shelf in I have clones up top n I veg down under

Sorry for tha crappy pic

Attached Files:

5. Do you know what growing style you want to do? Scrog, sea of green.....or just a regular untrained grow? Since you have 10 square feet, I'd say depending on your grow style, you can fit 5-20 plants. If you do a sea of green in small 2 gallon square pots, you'd have one hell of a SoG grow...

6. I would only put 5-8 plants in there at a time .. and they would have to be in the range of the light , also you should get a metalhalide conversion ! Looks good though but it will take a lot more than three fans to cool that thing down ! your gunna have to make a whole in the top for heat to seep out and put more fans in there . Happy growing

7. Well that's kind of what I was looking for help deciding...you guys are the pros. Lol. What would get me the most yield?

8. #8 TranceKid, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    Depends on so many factors and experience.......you just have to choose a style and stick with it. :)
    And really if you use a cooltube or wide reflector you can have more plants under the light footprint.

Me personally I would put maybe 5 plants in there let veg them for a few weeks and flip to flower. You'd yield nicely but if you go sea of green, put 1-4 plants per square foot. Each SoG plant would yield maybe 1/4-1/2 an ounce each if started from 12/12 light....

If you wanna grow Scrog style, put 2 plants in there and use the screen to max them all around the light footprint.

9. and what plants are you looking to grow with that room and that light i would go with a nice big high yielder , I recommend tangerine dream also 25% thc nicee

for autoflowers - afghan kush or northern lights

10. I'm not sure yet...I won't be getting my clones till Thursday, so ill see what I can find at the dispensaries near me then...

11. wow man nice lookin cabinet reminds me of my cab haha but no wheels you hsould be able to fit like 5-6 in 5 gal buckets and make some monsters that will yield ya a good ammount along with some LsT

12. I spy with my little eye a kitty kat

13. Never let pets in the grow area....never know what they might be carrying and drop it off into the growing area... pests/eggs/mildew spores...etc.:eek:

14. nah dog he trippin kats have special powers that make your plants flower in like 2 hours dawg with 2 pound yield

15. [quote name='"omdogg"']

Never let pets in the grow area....never know what they might be carrying and drop it off into the growing area... pests/eggs/mildew spores...etc.:eek:[/quote]

I know...but I'm still going to clean it thoroughly and then paint the inside, so the cat won't be allowed in it after that lol.

16. [quote name='"420Cabinets"']

I know...but I'm still going to clean it thoroughly and then paint the inside, so the cat won't be allowed in it after that lol.[/quote]

Sweet :)

17. What would do best in this box if I go with five plants in 5 gallon buckets, topped, vegged until 1.5ft tall, and then maybe lst'ed a little during flower....white widow, blueberry, blue dream, or purple trainwreck? I kinda wanna go with the one that will yield the most, as I'm sure the quality of all of them should be pretty good if I take care of them right lol. Also, any idea of flowering times for these? Or which ones would do well with eachother...maybe I could do a few at a time? Again I'm gonna have five in the box that I veg then flower, and then I think I'm also going to get one that will go in a seperate box and become the mother...but I think that one will be white widow...

18. Think about how much height space you have; take into account how far plants must be from the 600w cooltube and how much vertical space your pots will take up. Indicas generally double maybe triple in size, and sativas can triple or quadruple in size when you flip to flower so you may have to reconsider at what height you plan on flipping to 12/12.
    Indicas usually take about 8-9 weeks and sativas can go from 9 weeks - 12 weeks. (This is strain dependent obviously)
    White Widow is mostly indica, I'm not sure which blueberry you're referring to but its most likely indica, Blue dream is mostly sativa and purple trainwreck I'm not too sure about.

19. Ok...so I found out that its a DJ short original Blueberry, with a 45 day flower time, and a 7-8 week flower for the White Widow, so about a week or two longer. Since both are indica dominant, I figure that if I flip them at 1.5ft they should be roughly 4.5ft tall (max) at the end of flower. Leaving me with an additional 1.5ft...the cooltube has a 6" diameter, so ill have roughly a foot of space...maybe a bit close, but I'm crossing my fingers. Lol. And I'm gonna make a home made co2 generator using the sugar/water/yeast method, having a tube that runs from the bottle to the top of the plants so that its "pours" out over them :)

20. [quote name='"420Cabinets"']Ok...so I found out that its a DJ short original Blueberry, with a 45 day flower time, and a 7-8 week flower for the White Widow, so about a week or two longer. Since both are indica dominant, I figure that if I flip them at 1.5ft they should be roughly 4.5ft tall (max) at the end of flower. Leaving me with an additional 1.5ft...the cooltube has a 6" diameter, so ill have roughly a foot of space...maybe a bit close, but I'm crossing my fingers. Lol. And I'm gonna make a home made co2 generator using the sugar/water/yeast method, having a tube that runs from the bottle to the top of the plants so that its "pours" out over them :)[/quote]

Everything sounds good but the homemade co2 generator won't make a difference... I have hear of these co2 bags and bucket+air pump set ups... But trust me, save $400-500 and buy yourself a co2 tank+regulator+ppm controller. :)