How many plants in a 4x4 area?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ordinaryjoe, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Any more experienced growers out there know how many plants I should be able to grow in a room 4x4x7 with a 1000 watt HPS? And how big my pots should be? Right how I have six flowering in there on three gallon pots and there is physical room for more pots, but the foliage will overlap more. Is that ok? Should I switch to 5 gallon buckets? Not sure how many of those I can fit in a 4x4. This will be for my next grow.

Any experienced growers out there, opinions are welcome. Thanks. :smoke:

2. i think its genereally 1 plant/ sq foot. leave room for it to grow upwards like 4-5 ft.

3. A 1000 watt in a 4x4 tent is a bit overkill. You should be able to fill that tent up to the max. I have 12 plants in DWC in a 4x4 with a 600 watt and it seems to work just fine. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1

4. prune your plants to have 4 main colas and stick with 1 plant per sq ft.

5. I guess I'll fill it up, from what everyone is saying. How about pot size? Stick with a whole bunch of three gallon pots, or fewer 5 gallon ones?

6. 5 gal pots. It will help you stick to the 1 per sqft and your plants will appreciate it.

7. i have a 1000w in a 4x4...... im running 13 right now. all different sizes

8. For the SCROG method you can fill a 4x4 easily with 4 plants.

For SOG or flowering straight from clone I'd go with about 12.

9. #9 jonnyplayer, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
    fuck the scrog. The three gallons pots for what you are doing will yeild at least as much as a fiver. The roots filling the pot help force the flower. You can experiment but you will want a cubed number of plants so 3x3=9 or 4x4 = 16 plants. pinch tops a week before flip for more tops and if you do 16 be prepared to trim all lower branches. finally when doing a tight grow like that, if you are growing a leafy strain like a master kush or headband, about three to four weeks after flipping remove about 1/3 of fan leaves to let in some light. I know some people will argue this but try it both ways and the numbers will talk for themselves. Basically get your face down by the pots and look around. If it looks dark in some areas, pluck some leaves. Scrog works for people who think they are going to get in more trouble for more plants or if they just cant get their hands on enough plants, but you will never see commerical growers fucking with scrog.

• Like Like x 2
  10. use 12" pipe cleaners instead of SCROG. you can achieve the same results without being locked down. you can still move a plany around if you have to and do things to all of them. the screen is a nightmare...i agree.

i have 36 in a 4X4 and will yield about 1.5 under 1000W going 70 days on Blue Dream

11. Keeping it simple is definitely my goal. Thanks for all the replies, guys.:smoke:

12. #12 JollyStoner, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2011
    Fuck the SCROG you say?

My last grow was DNA Sweet Haze.. 4 plants in a 3x3 SCROG and I yielded well over a pound (dried) with a 600 watt HPS in a recirculating DWC... yeah.. fuck it...

Here in California we don't have limits anymore as of January 2010 as long as your grow is a reasonable size for personal use. It's a grey area in court but still no limits nonetheless.

SCROG along with some supercropping makes things very easy in a small space like that. I'm not saying that its the only way or the best way but it sure is a great way to do it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. No more limits? Really? I did not know that.

14. I didnt know that either. Im pretty sure there is a limit and my county allows 6/12

City/Counties guidelines Local Medical Marijuana Guidelines

15. Its case law.. the counties will continue to impose their limits but it will not stick in court.

16. Thanks for the info and link! Almost 6:00am Ca time and that means lights back on, so got to go watch the buds grow

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hilarious. At 6 CA time my lights come on too and the first thing I do is take my coffee in to check out my girls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 4-6 plants if your gonna grow em big

19. hey man i have a growlab 120 tent that i use with a 600 watt lumatek HID lighting heat is fine but my space is also 4x4x6'6 and you can fit 1-16 just depending on how long you want to veg for if you want fast crop use many plants just veg 1-2 weeks the less plants you use the longer your going to want veg to fill up the entire floor space with plant matter before flowering

• Informative Informative x 1