how many plants can be grown with a 250 HPS?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by can-a-bliss, Mar 28, 2009.

1. I have a 3 x 3 (approx 1 sqaure meter) area and I am using a 250 HPS, I wanted to know how many plants can I place in this area with and without overcrowding the area.

Also I would like to know how far should my lamp be from the canopy, right now its about 18 inches.

2. 100w per plant. So one or 2 plants. Your light should be as close as possible without burning the plant. Place your hand over the plant and lower the light until it feels warm.

3. Ehhh,Id say with a nice HPS,4 to 5 max

100w base for first plant 50w for other plants will do.

4. Right now I have 2 plants under a 400w HPS :p

5. Grow 4 of them

6. Really?

I have 3 plants about 2 weeks from harvest just under 100 watts of CFLs and 160Watts of Floruo tunes T-12s,That about 250watts in ok lights.With a 250 hps id put 4 under it atleast.

If I had a 400W HPS Id have atleast 7 or 8 plants under that bitch lol

7. #7 tenacity2986, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
    it really depends on your grow space. ur constricted to 3x3. so 4 is good. try to get less plants - more veg time, and bigger yields... I use to do the 1 per square foot thing and it works but the secondary growth will never develop and you'll get just colas with branches juss fighting for space.... Secondary growth has potential to equal the same yield of your cola or more!! think about it. its ultimatley ur decision. but def never under 50 watts a plant and 1 square foot a plant.

you have 25o watts so if u really want, 5 plants... ur 1 per square foot requiremnt is still met here and ull make out fine.

im doing 9 plants under a 600 in a 4x4 to give u perspective.

8. Well I had 4 but only 3 now, but I'm wondering if the yield is diminished with respect to indica strains. For example, will 2 plants under an 250 HPS put out the same yield as 4 while utilizing LST and scrog techniques?

9. I'm sixty days into flower running three strains from peakseedsbc currently under a SunSystems2 250W HPS. I originally had five plants, of which three turned out to be females. My grow space is 3'x2' and the plants aren't crowded but they could use that extra space. I would recommend ending up with three females for flowering with the 3'x3' space.

Chillin1

10. i'd put 4 in.
    ill be using 250w cfl for flowering and if 4 of my 7 in veg now turn out to be females then theyll all go under the 250w.
    i figure that 3 pr 4 plants under 250w will always get more than 2 plants under 250w. if i use lst so all the buds are on the same level, then all i am doing is utilising the light that would otherwise fall through those gaps using 2 plants. its just more efficient.

11. I would go with either 3 in a tight triangle right under the light, or 4 in a square right under the light. 3 Gallon pots placed right against each other. You want to get the plants as close as you can to the light, without burning them. The furthest you would want your plants to be from the light would be about 12-16 inches, but if it doesn't get hot bringing it down to 6-8 inches away would be ideal. I would also use some sort of mylar covered plywood to make the room abit smaller. If you keep the light intensity up there, you should be able to get some nice tight buds, maybe 6-8oz.

But if you keep the plants 18 inches away, you area too far from the light.

12. It is a function of the smaller of a) the footprint of your light or b) the size of the grow space. In your case the light's footprint is smaller than 3x3. You could do 4 under that light, but they won't reach their max potential. I do 4 plants under a 250 watter in a 2.5x2.5 grow space, and I find it works well by supplementing with 8x23w CFLs in the corners. Try to use pots that are more tall and narrow to give a lot of root volume without taking up a lot of the footprint -- super-sized plastic kitty litter bins work well.

13. That tall bin thing sounds pretty good. I'm moving into a shed soon where it will be smell proof and can grow about 10-15 automatic dwarfs. So the bin thing will be a good idea.

14. well so far they aren't stretching and i'm doing lst, but ill take your advice and move the light closer so they will be more compact.

15. I lowerd it down to about 12 inches, however I have one of those tempered glass HPS lamps with the ballast built in, with that distance im getting an average of 82 degrees with the lamp on and 76-77 with lamp off. I dont want to heat stress them but there is a 170 cfm vent fan as well as an oscilating fan blowing fresh air directly onto the plants. Am I safe to try between 6-8 and inches since I have the tempered glass set up or does the ballast generate too much heat to do that? As of 1 day with the lamp lowered the plants dont look stressed.