How many Lights to get for my Grow Box

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BrendanTen, Apr 4, 2014.

1. So I am building a Grow Box that is 33inx17inx17in and was wonder how many 42w cfl bulbs to buy(Since I dont have enough room for hps) Planning to grow 1-4 autos in the box. Or Should I even buy 42w bulbs(was thinking since best lumen to watt ratio)

2. #2 Skunky Monkey, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Man cant you get anything bigger than that space? you could look at the 125w or 200w compact cfl lights they might be to big though, there's no point doing 4 in your situation, the amount of light you have is the amount of bud you have, just grow 1 and it'll be good smoke not 3 4 scragly plants with not very dense buds.

You want 125w per pant so you could get 3 of those bulbs but i'd recommend some kind of t5 or 125 cfl.

3. #3 BrendanTen, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    Hey man thanks for the reply,
    For the auto should I keep the same light throughout the grow?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. During the the two different stages (veg and flower) the plants react better to different light spectrums. During veg, the plants prefer daylight or cool white bulbs (6500k) and in flower the plants prefer warm white bulbs (2700k). During the different stages if you can mix the bulbs at a 3:1 ratio (6500k to 2700k) during veg and vise versa during flowering that would be ideal. 

5. Check out the Mini Lotus bulb (125w) or the regular Lotus but that thing is huge. I've never used them but they look cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #6 Skunky Monkey, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    You should really as said above add more red spectrum for flowering, plants grow best with blue and red spectrum throughout there entire lives however i prefer just to go red for flower as that involves adding another light for me which = more heat 

7. For grow boxes of that size, a good LED light will work wonders and you wont have to worry about heat. If you're going with CFLs use 2400k for flowering and 6500k for veg.

8. Hey thanks for all the replies, So today I went to the store and saw some lights and they some said they use 23w and are equivalent to 100w, what does this mean as in wattage true wattage, does it mean it is a 100w bulb or a 23w bulb? Also I think they were 1600 lumens each

9. Dont use the equivalent wattage. That bulb is 23w.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1