How many lights should I use for four plants?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by imkira3, Dec 12, 2013.

1. I'm not trying to grow the best herb in the world yet, all I'm trying to do is make enough money to move out of this place and into my own place, without making a huge dent in the electricity bill. That's why only 4 plants. What is the best lights to use for the lowest electricity consumption? I heard you can use different lights before the flowering stage, dimmer lights. Is this true? If that is the case, which light's should I be using for each stage? I should mention I am growing in a very isolated environment, 2'7" wide x 2'7" deep x 5'11" tall / 31.5" x 31.5" x 70.8" tall / 80 x 80 x 180cm.

2. considered leds ? i mean, thats not exatcly a small grow area, so it would cost quite a lot to get the lights, but in the long run it would pay off, that is IF you plan to use that spot for a long period.

otherwise i think hps is your kinda thing.

3. Hps all the way. .I run two myself and my bill isn't crazy. .. using anything else like cfl's or led will use more power in the long run. .. yes led does consume less power but a 90 watt is just enough to grow one plant. . And a 90 watt led setup cost just as much if not more then the 400 watt hps would. . Why waist your time and moneySent from my SPH-M840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. 90w is good enough for 2 plants i say. if you lst/scrog them. and the lamp is using actual 90w, not just saying that and then outputting like 50.
    i think all plants grown with leds MUST be scrogged, because leds dont penetrate nearly as much as hps. and no, leds will never use more power than hps, in any amount of time, ever :D

5. The op sounds like he wants to do this ultra cheap as hes doing this to make money so i would say dont even go near leds as they are more of a long term investment.

Go with a 400w hps if your scared about high energy bills but i personally in that size space would go with a 600w mh hps and do a scrog. Also no matter which wattage amount you choose i would advise a dual spectrum bulb as you can get the veg and flowering done just fine from a 400w with a dual spectrum hps mh bulb.