how long to veg?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by juggalo419, Sep 4, 2012.

1. My white widow is 8" tall now and the leaves that are coming in now have 5 blades on them. If I had to guess the age I would say 4 weeks, so my question is, how long in weeks, should I veg my plant?

2. how much weed do you want? where are you going to be flowering? what kind of lights and cycle has it been on in veg?

3. How big is the pot it's in? How much space you got to grow? How much veg nutes you got? What kind of light ? How long do you want to veg?

4. It's in a pot that's approx 4 gallons, medium is miracle grow (sad I know), I mistakenly gave it a high nitro nute watering a couple of days after transplanting. So today she started dropping so I flushed a couple of gallons of water through her, back to the main issue though. I started her on a 24 light cycle, after a week or so I went to 20/4, and the plant is currently on a 18/6 light cycle. Lights are 4 foot florescent bulbs totaling 64w at 6500k if I remember correctly.

5. what are you going to flower with? she's been really underpowered, my guess is she's gonna stretch bad at the beginning of flower (get much bigger)

where are you flowering? gonna need some room...

6. She stretched quite a bit in the beginning (I had different lights at the time) she seems to like these lights, flowering will be florescent lights, higher wattage and 5000k. She's in a room virtually void of any outside light.

7. should be interesting, yield may be light and fluffy

shoot for 3000k instead if you can

8. 3000k for the flowering stage?

9. yes

6000+ for veg, 3500 or less for flower

10. I'll have to remember that, thanks for your help!

11. no problem... be sure to come back and show us what it yields!

12. #12 Penny wise, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    Some people veg for a very short period - Like someone doing a SoG (Sea of Green). A SoG grower will generally let their plants veg for about a week or two, or sometimes they look for a certain height before flowering. Sometimes this type of grower will have virtually NO veg time, flowering almost immediately after sprouting.

As for the generally accepted time (what you'll find in most books/guides,etc) is 4-6 weeks. Or, if you're going by height, the 12-15 inches (keep in-mind that each plant is different and while two seeds may have the same parents, they may grow differently regardless. One may be 8 inches, while the other shoots to 15)

For my SoG grows, I leave them in the veg room for about 4 weeks (including clones - 2w + 2w) before moving them to the flowering room.

For my non-SoG grows, it usually depends on the plant. WW is a smaller plant, so I'd probably let her veg an extra 2 weeks (including SCoG grows).

Good luck with your grow & keep us updated on your progress - Pictures are always a welcome addition! ;)

13. I can't thank you guys enough for the info! It's my first grow do I'm expecting failure, but I've given this girl so much attention that to lose her now would be upsetting lol... I'll attach a picture or two of her, I'll include one that I took earlier today, she was looking really droopy, thanks again!

Attached Files:

14. Leaves were quite droopy looking earlier today.

ForumRunner_20120904_190435.png

15. you water too often. wait till it's really dry the top couple inches, barely any dampness. Like 2-4 days, depending on how much/what kind of soil, how big the plant/root ball is, etc

16. I was afraid I was watering too much. Soil is miracle gro that has slow release fert in it already. I just flushed it today due to accidental feeding/watering with nutes, so I hope she recovers!

17. flushing didn't help, just released more nutes from the slow release capsules in your soil

that's why you don't use that shit :(

18. Lol so not what I wanted to hear! I'm germinating 2 more seeds as we speak and they're going in straight soil, unless you think I should cut it with another medium?

19. soil with a bit of perlite (20-30% by volume)

perlite is a very light rock that helps leave air pockets in the soil for the roots to feed on, as well as helping keep the soil draining and loose, instead of damp and packed

healthy roots mean bigger plants!

20. seeds contain their own nutrients, the plant doesn't need anything till a few days sprouted

then it just needs a very small amount of nutes and light, any basic soil will have plenty of nutrients

I don't even consider adding nutes to my plants for at least the first month, including a transplant into more soil to feed on around week 1.5-2