How long to dry?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by luvin it, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hey what's best way to dry my buds and how long should I leave them?

2. There are many how to's on this great forum go browse around on here, if ya cant find anything, come back in a hour and I'll tell ya.

3. Sorry am at work not had chance to look about forums yet ill look later, feel free though of anyone could tell me anything would b great

4. Its all personal preference. Some will trim their buds as they cut down the plant. speeds up the drying process. I on the otherhand, cut off the branches, remove fan leaves from branches then hang. i prefer to dry trim as it slows down the dryin process and IMO lends to a smoother finished product. I can dry trim faster then a wet trim also. Usually takes 7-8 days til their crispy enough to trim and put into jars. Then i burp jars accordingly until im happy with moisture content.

5. #5 Freeborn, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
    9 bucks at Home Depot cheap and dark and the cardboard helps to prevent mold as it will absorb some of the moisture as the buds dry I love it just tape the seems with duct tape and good to go

It's a moving box called a wardrobe box
    image-2723460882.jpg

image-2666361055.jpg

Sent from iPhone 5

6. I use my closets is only resin I have that do t need my jackets smelling like chronic lol and I don't like flipping buds

Sent from iPhone 5

7. either do i. i hang em on the rack opposed to layin in the rack. dont like the flat sided buds.

8. Yep that's why I hang gotta have bag appeal lol either one works fine

Sent from iPhone 5

9. i just hang them upside down until the twigs snap and trim accordingly. then i jar em up and burp till they are ready. i think a lot of people do this and a lot do it dfiferent

10. Yessir it's all what you want man

Sent from iPhone 5

11. Thanks everyone this apps awesome

12. I you think the apps cool, check out the site sometime! ;)

13. i personally dont wait until my stem snaps clean off, thats too dry and i never seem to be able to recover moisture naturally. I wait until the buds are crispy and the stem snaps but still has some moisture bend to it, then i jar it all up.

leaves me with buds that are still dry but moist enough that they arent going to flake and shit

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Think that sounds good , how long does that usually take

15. my plants have never been more then 3 ft, it takes 3-5 days for me

16. Sounds good

17. CURING 101 or how not to ruin all that hard work

things you need
    temp/hygrometer from cigar shop or internet..10 bucks or so.
    glass mason jars with lids and rings..as many as it looks like you need..supermarkets have them..kerr or ball..wide mouth work best..i found the really big 1/2 gal at ace hardware

The magic number is 58% humidity..

Never let your harvest drop below 55% or curing stops..can't recover..trim close remove all fan and most sugar leaves..set buds on screens on sawhorses..leave bud on screens till they feel slightly stiff..
    Mine were dry enough in 24 hours to jar..wet again in morning.. dump back on screens for a few hours..back in jars..continue till humidity stabilizes at 58%..store in cool place for about 2 weeks min..open every day just because..sniff n close..it'll smell like hay for a week or 2.. then slowly the good smells you thought were lost will come back..once stable it'll keep in a cool place and just get better with age..

you can find most of this info on some small scale tabacco farmers pages..and other weed pages but it's not real easy to find..
    i had to work real fast because of really low humidity that week.. around 20% if i recall..you may need more screen time if it's high humidty..just don't let em get to dry.. not even once..
    it's a fine line between fast dry to avoid mold..but staying over the 55% point..see what works best for you

18. i could give you the long tech reasons to do it this way as the drying plant converts chlorofil to .......but all you need to know is 55 to 60 % humidity is how tabacco is dried and cured in temp/humidity controlled rooms.. so we don't have that .. but a large jar will get the job done just fine..

I ruined 4 quart jars full of what should have been fine bud..ohh it's still smokable.. good high .. bad taste .. hot and harsh to smoke..cause i had to leave town for 5 days mid harvest..i was afraid to leave the jars sealed cause i didn't want mold .. shoulda risked the mold cause after 5 days open jar it was all just to far gone and way to dry..and it was jared wet but not lidded,, not hanging or boxed or bagged..so thats my personal take on curing..hard won info if you want it..

19. Wow dude, that's alot to take in how long does all that usually take you