How long to cure

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by rapidcharger, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Ok so I harvested like about 2 weeks ago almost 3...
    I let everybody dry for 2 days.. they were dryer than shit...
    Put them into 8 masjon jars.. and burped them everyday.. The life came back to them while in the jars....

But how much longer do I need to burp them? Or can I just let them sit now and burp them every weeek etc? Can i put this in the freezer? or just in a closed box inside the mason jars? everybody seems pretty dry...

Ill burp for 15min-30min in the jars every day for like 2.5 weeks

2. #2 Jellyman, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011
    Just so you know, curing is not required to get smokeable weed. There are a number of ways that you can dry the buds, or even just some of them, ranging from slowly to quickly.

Separating your harvest into jars works against the curing process. Curing all of the bud together can accomplish a better cure, faster. A larger pile creates a larger microbe population & better/faster moisture equalization. Jars are great for long-term storage because, unlike most plastics, the glass & metal aren't permeable to air. With curing, however, you don't gain any benefit from air-tight containers. A wide plastic bin is often ideal for curing. You want the pile of buds inside to not be so tall that it squishes the bottom buds, but it can be as wide as possible. Roughly 3'x3'x1' bins work great for about a pound. The one thing to keep in mind when shopping is to buy a bin made of a plastic with no smell. Some plastics have a strong, new-car odor. Scrubbing well with soap often helps.

It should be noted that significantly different types of pot can cure at different rates. Small, whispy buds & huge, solid buds, for example, will cure differently. Since two different types of weed can also change the smell of each other, different kinds of weed should usually be cured separately.

There are generally two major tiers of curing; 1mo & 3mo. Whichever one you choose, the "burping" schedule must be adjusted accordingly. For example, two exact same pounds of weed with the exact same amounts of moisture are cured for 1mo & 3mo, respectively. The pound being cured for 3mo will need to be vented roughly 1/3 as much to reach the same level of dryness after 3mo as the other pound reaches after 1mo.

Happy Curing

3. #3 shawnfierro, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Great answer!

4. I like the info alot. Very to the point. Could you point me in the right direction for more in depth methods of drying smokable bud with and without curing. I've definately been looking around but there seems to be alot to Wade through lacking the details I'm interested in
    Thank you so much