How long should you wait for your bill at a restaurant?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by letsmokeasweet, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Hey so on Thursday we went to eat around 4pm, slow time and we ate. After we were done eating we waited 15mins for our waiter to come back and give us a bill. But he never came.i only had a 100 bill and no change, so we left. I left him a small tip, but I didn't have enough for the bill
    During that time he took care of the table next to us a few times, but didn't stop by ours.....

What would you have done? Talk to the manager standing across from us? Insist on paying? I took my time leaving but i still feel wrong cause the food and service was good. The waiter just never came back to my table

And they do bring you the bill to your table and you pay the server. We go there every now and then. I'm thinking of emailing them and complaining.

2. Wish I could just walk out of restaurants and not pay for my food.

You probably got waiter boy fired.
    The tip will pay his bills for a while though, its all good.

3. Ask for it again, is the correct answer. 

4. You could have easily said something 5 minutes after he gave you the check.  If he was still waiting at the tables near you I feel like it wouldn't have eben that hard to get his attention and not skip out.

5. I keep giving him eye contact. Also crossing my silverwear, cleaning our table....two screaming kids that want to go...clear indications that we are ready to go lol
    He never gave me the check. He never gave me the chance to ask for the check. He came by while we were eating to check on us and to bring me a refill, but that was the last time we saw him. He took the tables order next to us and ignored us. I gave him a couples more mins after that to put in his order, but I saw him help another table...I got two screaming kids by this time....it was time to go

6. 2 minutes

One time it took a guy 15 minutes. I left him a penny tip..

7. I usually leave before the bill arrives.

8. You don't eye contact him like a chick across the room. You tell him to get the check or make the international check sign.

He's not just gonna go by asking just because you think you look ready to go. You're paying ask for it.

9. you couldn't put your hand up and ask about it // go to the bar and say 'we wanna fix this up'?

part of the responsibility does fall on you as the paying customer. he's a waiter, employed to tend to all customers, not just your table.

10. I do this all the time with mcdonalds I call them up and tell them I orderd a meal but the food took a long time and had to go do something they will usually give it to you for free to avoid the drama

11. This is what I was going to say, the dude is a waiter, not a mind reader.  I mean it was a slight mistake on his part that he didn't come back but people make mistakes, would just take a simple wave or word to let him know you want to pay.

12. #13 himan235, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    This has got to be a TROLL. 
    Part of being a civilized citizen and customer is paying for services supplied to you. I gotta say this happens all the time - No I mean the waiter is busy, forgetful, lazy, incompetent whatever, doesn't matter.
    It isnt the first time that many people wave, yell, stand up and walk over to get waiters attention. Its bad customer service, but It wasnt the waiters idea for eat there. Why dont you go back and pay and clear this whole thing up 

"He never gave me the chance to ask for the check."
    I just cant believe how you got this far in life to question something like this!? And you have children too?!!!

Let me guess, its also the motor vehicle department's fault that your license is expired because they didnt tell you to renew? Didnt get a credit card bill in the mail this month for your $5k balance, Oh good no payments than this month! 
    Let me guess again after pumping gas,  the line at the gas station is busy, than the clerk didnt want your money either??

13. thats bad karma maaan. shoulda just went to the hostess or something. its not cool to dine and dash, you might have cost the kid his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Haha I always feel like it's the waiter job to collect my money but I would def not skip the check. Just the tip

15. #16 I Am Neo, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Another lowlife thief rationalizing his shitty behavior. Karma will be back around for ya dude.

Years ago, I was at a local restaurant having lunch. While I was inside, a nasty little skank who was running out on her bill backed into the giant tow hook on my F250 pickup. LOL, scuffed the paint on my hook, smashed the hell out of her taillight and fender.

Somebody in the parking lot witnessed it and called the cops. I came out just as the cop the cop got there, and while I was talking to him, HQ radioed and told him they caught her just down the street. He asked if I wanted to press charges and I said hell yeah.

I went to court, saw her smashed car with taped up taillight as I was heading in. She got popped for hit and run, lost her license for a year. The judge asked me if I wanted any compensation, I just said no, she'd paid enough. She had to pay the restaurant bill too, hehehe.

Yepper, karma's a bitch all right.

So you reward him and rip off the owner? Go back, talk to the manager, pay your bill and get a free meal the next time for your honesty. I don't blame you. Better to leave mad then make a scene. But if it isn't a chain....go be honest. Karma is a bitch!

18. #19 letsmokeasweet, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    I sent them a email and I explained what happened. I like the place. We probably go there maybe every three weeks or so. I didn't go there intending not to pay. I sat at the table HOLDING the money in my hand. I left the money at the end of the table so he can see it for a while. What am I supposed to do yell across the room at the guy?
    It is a chain place. Not like a Olive Garden, but they have places all over Houston.

If I had any money on me I would had left more....but it's the waiters job to take care of me. It's not that complicated.

19. All right great. I love how you take one little moment of my life and you assume I am a lowball lmao @ u