Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long should I hold the hit in my lungs?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Chirf, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I know weed is practically the safest drug out there (other than like... coffee... but you get my point), but I WOULD like to avoid most of the harmful chemicals.

I'm thinking about getting a vaporizer when I get a job, but I've always wondered how long I SHOULD be holding the hit. Do different methods of smoking require different time spans?

For example, I remember hearing the average bong hit is held for 5 seconds, while the average joint hit is 3 seconds, so on.

I heard it was because you get 80% of the thc within the first couple seconds, and it's practically pointless to keep putting harmful chemicals in your lungs if you're already done with the initial rush of THC.

I smoke out of a glass pipe. How long would you say I should hold the smoke in after hitting a glass pipe?

2. 3 seconds max. Don't listen to the 14 year olds that tell you the longer you hold the hit in the higher you get.

3. i will hold a bong rip for a few seconds, which i rairly use. i just smoke blunts. i just inhale and exhale with them.

4. anything longer than 3-4 seconds is pointless

5. yea, hold for like 3-5 seconds... leaning more towards 3...

and just for the record, coffee will kill you LONG before weed does... you could easily drink enough coffee to overdose on caffeine... you could smoke all day for weeks and not die from a cannabis over dose though!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH

6. Oh really? 3 seconds max? Is that for just the glass pipe or is that for everything?

And why? lol does it really harm your lungs or is it just pointless to hold it in any longer?

7. well if you are using a vaporizor, you shouldnt have to hold it in at all because its 90% pure THC

the point of holding a hit on say, a joint, is to absorb the extra THC which is only about 20% to begin with

8. 3-5 seconds.

9. well if you are using a vaporizor, you shouldnt have to hold it in at all because its 90% pure THC

the point of holding a hit on say, a joint, is to absorb the extra THC which is only about 20% to begin with

10. but with vape you CAN hold it in longer as its not doing massive amounts of damage...

not that you need to lol

11. OP, 7 second rule. 3 seconds is too short. 7 is perfect because you don't waste and it isn't too long to damage your lungs.

12. Man, why doesn't someone just look it up. I am sure Granny's list will have some study on that. If you want to help don't make your opinion look like a fact. Back your fact up.

Holding the

^ From that link, the answer is anywhere under 10 seconds. The study they did was actually pretty cool.

13. a few seconds....3-5 seconds is enough for me