How long from Germination to Sprouting?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Fabricar, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I know that according to the guide that I have, it says that it should take around three to five days.

It's been four now, and I don't see any sproutlings.

I germinated using the water glass method, all four seeds popped and sank.

My ambient temperature in the grow box is +/- 75 F and has been consistent.

I'm wondering if I should scrap the seeds, or if it is because the temperature is a little low in the soil and it might be retarding growth, or if I massively FUBAR'd something.

I planted in Scott's Top Soil to avoid any screw ups with any ferts.

I'm sorry if it's a noobish question, but I haven't turned anything up in the search or on Google.

Thanks for reading and even more if you help!

:smoke:

2. Bump for concern.

3. #3 Chaosgen420, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    Most do pop open in around 3-5, but some thicker seeds like I had when I started took a week 1/2 after I waited that long I threw out the other 4. Did you by chance pack the soil down? If you did you could slow your results because they're working extra hard.

4. When you say "Pop" are you referring to the germination process, or the sprouting one?

But regardless, no, I didn't really pack the soil down, I just brushed some over the seeds using forceps.

Although, the topsoil has dried out a bit and contracted, maybe that's it.
    I've been keeping it consistently moist by misting it, but I'm trying to avoid over-watering.

5. I was having trouble having mine sprout at first too. I recommended after germinating and planted, water them and leave them in a dark place and check everyday for sprouts

6. I mean the seed cracking and the taproot coming out. I sprayed mine every 5 hrs to keep soil moist so it would be easier to sprout when ready. I'm sure they'll make it, I think this everytime if a plant can break through cement/ashphault (dunno about spelling on that) dirt can't stop it lol.

7. I've read that it's bad to leave newly sprouted plants without light even for a couple hours? :confused:

And I'm at work all through the week, so I can't check on them regularly.

Lol, this is true.

I'm just worried about over-watering is all.
    I'll start misting the soil every five to ten hours and see what that gets me.

8. I think your suppose to leave them in the dark for like 2 days? Don't quote me on it, but I'm sure either way it won't destroy them. I gave mine all light within 2 days (How long took for all to sprout after first.)

9. Ok, let me clarify.

When I say "Germination" I mean the process of dropping them in a glass of water and having them pop, and then wrapping them in a towel until their taproot grows.

When I say "Sprouting" I mean after they've been planted in the dirt, and I'm awaiting them to pop out of the soil as seedlings.

I've Germinated them, and I'm waiting on them to Sprout.

10. It didn't kill mine leaving them in the dark. Once I noticed them sprouting I immediately moved them to my box

11. Hrm. How long do you think they had been sprouted for until you noticed and put them in the box?

12. #12 Chaosgen420, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    I put mine in a 3 layers of moist paper towel in a non-transparent Tupperware bowl and put on top of my computer monitor, than transferred into soil after taproots came out. You can do the shot glass method too but I "personally" think that's too much water to expose it too, but it has it's benefits as well; If there's a crack in your seed it will float to the top. You can put them in soil even without taproot popped out, but why do that and constantly wonder if that seed is a dud or not ya know?

I gave mine the benefit of the doubt and wait a week, if they didn't make it I investigate why. A few sprouts even if I put taproot down did the following: Grew upside down, mutated (bad genes), rotted and died. That was maybe like 5 seeds outta 20 though.

13. Only a few days, probably 2-4.

14. Germination= heat, moisture and darkness

Once they germinate (small taproot shows) then they can be transplanted into rockwool, rooters, soil etc (root down)

At that point its not a big deal if there's light above the seedling as long as the root is planted down, not exposed to the light

Once it sprouts and some green is showing, then yes for sure they begin to need light, but not a lot

If using a HPS have them extremely far away, if flourescent (recommended) then have it around a foot away (give or take) and you can lower it as they mature. Dont wanna overwhelm them

15. Temps are too low to germinate .Get that room temp. up to 85-90 degrees for 48 hrs straight and they may still germinate, once up drop temp to 75 degrees.

16. I put my seeds into a glass of water, they sank so I planted them into soil, covered the pot with cling wrap. Put them under my lights and two days later I had sprouts.

Using cling wrap or some form of plastic bag keeps the humidity and moisture in. Only had to water once.

17. planted my seed in foxfarm two days ago after it popped , this is horrible just waiting for it to sprout. Im getting paranoid its not gonna break the soil .

how many days does it take to break ground?

18. There is not set time for a seed to grow, if the conditions are right, it will happen.

Waiting is the hardest part :p