Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long does marijuana withdrawal last?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by chodespode, Dec 27, 2010.

1. #21 tharedhead, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
    My doc says its the same as with opiates-the more pain you are in the less high you get. The pain receptors take up all the good stuff (simple explanation).

So chronic pain patients (like with your back pain)may just naturally have a harder time getting high. :(

Most anti insomnia drugs cause rebound insomnia with their withdrawl
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebound_effect

Rebound effect is kind of interesting, esp. with insomnia and migraine.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/242729/insomnia_rebound_what_how_to_treat.html

2. When you smoke habitually your body produces less of it's own endogenous cannabinoids such as anandamide. When you stop suddenly it takes a few days for the body to start producing them again. After a few days, the minor physical withdrawal symptoms will fade entirely.

3. that is interesting to know thanks! i might consider having my back examined

4. #24 Jdahms, Dec 27, 2010
    MJ fucks with your sleep cycle yes. when you smoke your body produces 4000x the normal amount of melatonin. melatonin is used by your body to tell you its time to feel tired. it is usually produced when it gets dark outside. if you smoke weed all day your melatonin cycle is all out of wack and you will have problems going to sleep.

take melatonin every night 30 minutes before you go to bed if you smoke a lot of weed. it keeps your sleep cycle from getting all fucked up

start with 1mg doses imo and work from there. everyone needs a different amount.

and also you need to eat healthy and exercise HARD every day.

5. taking melatonin for long periods of time has been linked to depression and dependency.

only take it for a few days to a week, its not a good idea to become dependent on something while trying to get off of something else you're dependent on haha

6. yeah, especially since our bodies increase melatonin production during the winter months anyway, depending on where you live and whether or not you're still getting a decent amount of exposure to the sun's rays.

7. Ive taken it for a few months at a time with absolutely no negative side effects. I dont see it causing any problems for someone already living a healthy lifestyle. Of course someone who cant fall asleep at night probably isnt living a very healthy life

Only side effects are more energy in the morning, less hazy feeling the day after getting too high, and falling asleep easier.

Imo use it to get your sleep cycle back in check. That should take about 2 weeks. Then start only smoking at night if you really have that much trouble with insomnia.

The best cure for insomnia is hard exercise during the day, but everyone who says that have insomnia knows that and hardly any of them do it

8. #28 LCM, Dec 27, 2010
    Since we're on the subject of sleep, here's an interesting read:

"Okay so first of all, this is a long thread but please take your time reading this as it took me hours to write and edit; you won't regret it, I promise you.

So I have recently stumbled upon lots of people here who say "Even though I sleep 8-9 hours, I'm still tired." and a lot of others who just generally believe that more sleep = more energy + better well-being.

This is NOT TRUE.

When you go to sleep, your body enters different "stages" of sleep. There are 5 overall stages and together they count as 1 "cycle". During the night, these cycles keep repeating until you wake up. 1 cycle lasts approximately 90 minutes but it varies from person to person. You might think this is nonsense but keep reading, you will benefit greatly.

THE IMPORTANT THING: There are 2 ways in which you can wake up. Full of energy and positivity or completely tired with a bad mood. These 2 are NOT a result of either sleeping more or less; they are a result of you either waking up at the end of a particular cycle, or canceling a cycle by being interrupted by an external source. Read below.

If you finish a cycle successfully and wake up, you will feel brilliant, full of energy and positivity. If your cycle is interrupted by an external source (you wanting to pee, parents/friends waking you up), you will feel terrible / grumpy and you will feel like you need "more sleep". Also, if in some mornings you wake up full of energy (which means you have just finished a cycle), and then force yourself to sleep more, there's a good chance you won't finish that newly entered cycle since you're just lazing about for 10 minutes and that will result in you waking up feeling tired again. And this is not just about waking up tired; this is about how your energy will be used throughout your entire day.

Side note 1: Sometimes you will find yourself lucky in a way that even though someone wakes you up which is an interruption, you will be at the end of a cycle so you'll feel good. Don't bet on it though, the chances of someone waking you up right at the end of a cycle is pretty low.

THE WHOLE POINT: The whole point is that even though most people need a particular number of cycles which add up to 8 hours (hence they say "You need 8 hours of sleep minimum"), it doesn't mean YOU need the 8 hours. Everyone is different and there are a few famous people who only need a small amount of cycles in order to replenish their energy, therefore they only sleep 2-3 hours daily which is phenomenal (imagine all the time saved). A cycle usually lasts 90 minutes, so just remember, if you wake up at the end of one, that's when you'll feel like a king. Your body might need 5, 6, 7 hours... You never know... If you naturally wake up earlier than most people (without interruptions), that will mean you need less cycles than most people. In that case, there's nothing wrong with you, you can just get up and enjoy a longer day.

Side note 2: Even if you woke up after 1 cycle (90 minutes), you would still feel energetic even though your body definitely needs a lot more cycles in order to engage in important activities such as muscle growth. Waking up & feeling good isn't everything.

SO HOW DO I KNOW WHEN I'M SUPPOSED TO WAKE UP?
    This is easy. You need to eliminate all possible external sources which can wake you, including the urge to pee, so just drink water slightly earlier in the day so you urinate before bed. If there are no interruptions, your body will automatically wake you up at the end of your very own cycle; that's when you should get up.

Types & Percentages of Sleep In Stages:

• Stage 1 & 2: Light sleep; together, these two stages account for 50% of all sleeping time.
    • Stage 3 & 4: Deep sleep; together, these two stages account for 25% of all sleeping time.
    • Stage 5 (REM stage) – this stage represents the remaining 25% of all sleeping time.

Stage Functions:

Stage 1: Our heart rate and breathing become slower. If something wakes you up during this stage, you can easily believe that you haven’t fallen asleep at all as you are still highly aware of your surroundings.

Stage 2: This stage defines the beginning of true sleep. This is also the stage in which most people loose their awareness. The muscles become relaxed and the body stops moving.

Stage 3: Similar to Stage 4.

Stage 4: This is the deepest stage of sleep. Blood pressure drops; heart and breathing rate are decreased and stabilized.

Stage 5 - Rapid Eye Movement (REM): This is a special stage of sleep during which our brains become extremely active and DMT (dimethyltryptamine) is secreted by our pineal gland. Blood pressure increases, breathing becomes faster and irregular. The eyes start to dart back and forth. Most of our dreaming occurs in this stage. Because we might hurt ourselves while trying to move in response to the content of our dreams, the brain completely blocks our muscles.

The above 5 steps I copied ages ago from a legit site but can't remember which one, now I just edited them and rewrote them so they're more understandable. Don't be surprised if you recognize them. The rest is purely written by me.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this; just thought I'd share some useful information.

Edit 2: By the way, interruptions may include vibrations of some kind, scary dreams, erections, people waking you up, wanting to urinate, traffic noise, the "biological clock" etc. I studied and experimented with these things carefully a while back as I was greatly interested in sleep cycles, that is how I know everything.

Edit 3: If a cycle is broken (disturbed) and you go back to sleep, that cycle will NOT continue. A new one will begin."

9. ive read somewhere that your brain works better if you take like 6 20-30 minute naps during the day instead of knocking out all your sleep in one big chunk

10. The Da Vinci sleep schedule, also known as the "sleep of genius" or polyphasic sleep, is a type of sleep pattern which involves sleeping not more than 5 hours a day. Some experts are more strict, arguing that to follow the Da Vinci sleep schedule, a person must become accustomed to sleeping an average of two hours a day, which is how much Leonardo Da Vinci himself slept; others take the term more loosely, allowing practicants to sleep a few hours a night.

The Da Vinci sleep schedule is better suited to people who can control their daily schedules. Basically, the system requires followers to sleep in several 10-minute bursts, for a total of two hours a day. A variation of the Da Vinci sleep schedule requires people to sleep 20 minutes for every four hours that they are awake. This technique, known as "power napping" or the "Uberman's sleep schedule" is actually in use in many corporations as a way to up production of their employees.

People who try the Da Vinci sleep schedule often go through a very difficult adjustment period. Experts agree that the first two weeks can be extremely difficult and can lead to lack of coordination, low energy levels, and drop in their alertness level. Others experience nausea, headaches, or lost of appetite. All the symptoms go away on their own after 10-14 days, and the body goes back to reacting normally.

The main benefits of the Da Vinci sleep schedule include free time, more vivid dreams, and a strict control over your body. Proponents of the method is so effective that a lot of people throughout history are said to have used during their most intense times, including poet Lord Byron, Thomas Jefferson, and Napoleon. The main drawbacks of the Da Vinci sleep schedule are the difficulty of the system. Because it requires repeated naps throughout the day, it is unlikely that it can be used by people working a regular schedule. It is also not a good option for people with low blood sugar or certain medical conditions, since the additional stress on the body can lead to medical problems.

11. interesting LCM

OP, i'm able to eat and sleep more like normal somewhere between 1-2 weeks.

12. do you think the da vinci system would be sustainable for an entire lifetime?

im really interesting in trying it

13. it would inevitably lead to problems. people are awake during the day and sleep at night. you don't wanna be at work and be like.. hold on i gotta go take a nap haha

or driving and suddenly get that dead tired feeling and need to pull over for a power nap. or on a date with some hot girl and having to step away and go sleep in a bathroom for 15 minutes.. there are tons of positives to it but to every positive i see a negative. could be cool on the short to mid term

14. I don't see why not but I can't really see it as being a practical sleep schedule present day if you have work, school, or other obligations. You would have to condition your body to get used to the new schedule which would take weeks. It would be so easy to fall out of the schedule and just crash hard one night or miss cycles, throwing your body chemistry out of whack and disturbing the schedule you're trying to maintain. Also, it depends on the person. Da Vinci was known for sustaining this system for the majority of his adult life, but that isn't to say you would be able to do the same, you might need more sleep per cycle than he did. It would be up to you to find a time frame that works for you.

15. Tell that to the SUBOXONE pushers;)

Melatonin side effects: What are the risks? - MayoClinic.com

16. hahahaha redhead :laughing:

i used to (and still do occasionally) have fucking horrific sleeping problems and i abused the hell out of melatonin for a long period of time and it threw me into the most horrible bout of depression i ever experienced. i couldn't figure out what it was, i was sleeping better and things were alright in my life. talked to my aunt who is a nurse and she informed me that taking it for too long can have serious effects on your mental health. i've stopped taking it but do occasionally when i feel like i need a good nights sleep.

17. im worried about long term mental stress and health problems. Also it does seem like it would be a bitch to maintain

my current occupation lets me decide when i want to work. or if i want to work.

18. then i'd say fuck it and go for it.

long term mental stress and health problems having really been determined in the uberman sleep cycle. i can tell you from experience the first week and a half is a waking hell on earth haha

if you're work is flexible and you want to try it, i'd say go for it. you can always revert back to your "normal" sleep cycle if and when you want to. i can tell you now though that for the first 2 weeks you're going to be worthless hahaha

19. If you think your withdrawing from weed you should cease smoking any kind of thc containing product, because you have some serious health issues unrelated to pot, there is no withdraw and it's very not real your making yourself think your sick when your not YES MENTALLY you prolly are withdrawing aka cravings etc...however besides a little bit of grumpiness most toddlers can manage it through that so you should be fine.

20. Im sorry sir but you ARE wrong.I know very well what withdrawal feels like (because ive gone threw detox for opiates), so I'm my own proof. When i was going thru my situation I had chills, the shakes, mood swings, depression, nausea, restlessness, insomnia and more caused by not taking a drug that i was ingesting at a very unhealthy rate. I get half of those same symptoms when i stop smoking and youre saying its in my head. what drug did u withdraw from to know what it feels like also?